Author Topic: A Weir Steam Pump  (Read 4960 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
A Weir Steam Pump
« on: March 01, 2021, 09:40:41 PM »
Hi all,
With the Mann truck waiting for a spring thaw, its time to move on to a much smaller project that I've been wanting to build for a while - a steam powered boiler feed pump. Did a bunch of looking around at different designs/plans, and found that while they share a lot of common features, there are a lot of differences in the details of the valving. After a lot of dithering, chatting/arguing with the shop elves, and buying a variety of plans from different sources, I have settled on a version of the Weir pump based on the plans from Kennions in the UK.

The main reason for that style is that the porting/valves seems to be the simplist to make - a lot of them have a squirrels-nest of passages, all very close to each other, and look like they would be very touchy to get running. The Weir pump uses a more straightforward set of passages and valve sliders, very similar to a standard double-acting cylinder with two stacked steam chests rather than one. So, that one wins out - though I am building it double the size shown in the plans.

Making it larger should make it a bit less touchy on the timing adjustments, and hopefully will result in running slower than really small engines tend to want to. It winds up with a 3/4" diameter piston and a cylinder block 1-5/8" long, which I can get out of some chunks of brass bar sitting on the stock shelf already. It looks like I can build the entire project with material already on hand, which is handy.  ;D To make it easier to follow the plans without having to remember to double everything on the fly, and to adjust a few things to use the fastener sizes I like, it was first drawn up in Fusion as a 3D CAD model, and new plans at the larger size printed out. Here is what it should end up looking like:

Construction started the other day, so I'll get caught up - all this was NOT done in a day!
Started with the center seperator, which looks like a crosshead guide, but it is just a spacer - nothing will be touching the inside of the tube. Drilled/bored the center opening, then turned the outside to shape.

Then bored out the openings in the sides - these give room for the reversing arm to go from the piston rod out to the valve rod.

The next day, I started in on the cylinder block (actually am doing the same outside shaping on the bottom valve block as well, they are the same outside shape but with different bores). First drilled/bored out the cylinder:

Then set it up on an arbor on the mill, also known as the Swarf Maker, to round the three sides behind the steam chest base:

and flattened off the port face of the steam chest base.

While the block was still leveled up in the vise, went ahead and milled in the steam ports, identical to a standard double acting cylinder:

plus the mounting holes and the hole for the passage into the valve chests above - here is where it starts varying from a standard engine, this passage will feed steam up to the reversing valve.

Also drilled the passages from the cylinder ends to the outer valve ports, first milling a flat so the drill would not skate:

finished up by milling the openings from those holes to the ends of the cylinder:

Thats where it sits at the moment - next stage will be to set up the rotary table vertically to mill the open spaces between the end flanges on the cylinder blocks. Its all going pretty quickly, love how easily brass machines!
Chris
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 09:44:41 PM by crueby »

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
Re: A Weir Steam Pump
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 10:59:04 PM »
Hullo Chris......following on :ThumbsUp:...is this a 2:1 ratio example pump?.......[3/4" diameter steam x 3/8" diameter water?] ..........Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 11:08:38 PM »
Hullo Chris......following on :ThumbsUp: ...is this a 2:1 ratio example pump?.......[3/4" diameter steam x 3/8" diameter water?] ..........Derek
Not 2:1 - the piston rod is 7/16" diameter, so the area works out to about 3:1. That is the ratio of the plans I got - is 2:1 more typical?

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 11:29:32 PM »
Ratios......some of the 5" gauge Guys have 2:1 scale boiler pumps.......it is a common talking point...... that if they work...great  :ThumbsUp:      , if they don't, then they never will   :killcomputer:

It is also a common thread...so many small drilling & so close to each other

Regner produced a beautiful 'extremely small' train boiler feed pump, but the Warranty was void   :zap: if it was taken apart.......not sure if it is still available

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKdX5B8g9MI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKdX5B8g9MI</a>

Derek
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 11:38:00 PM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 11:50:37 PM »
Yeah, thats why I chose this design and decided to make it larger, hoping that it helps get it to run well. The passages work out very simple in it, though it still has the usual shuttle valve.

I looked for the Regner steam pump, and the Train Department here in the US carries it, at least they have some left if they are not made anymore. Pretty pricey at $650 though, my model will cost me a fraction of that in materials anyway.
https://www.thetraindepartment.com/regner/water-pumps/
 :cheers:

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 12:44:08 AM »
This will be interesting!

Off to a good start already...

:popcorn:

Online tghs

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 11:12:12 AM »
of course I'm watching as I'm working on the same sorta thing right now, at my pace not this "warp speed" crap :cheers:
what the @#&% over

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 12:18:37 PM »
Chris,

I know you are already into this...but take a look at these beauties. Maybe the details will be of some inspiration. The first one is so darn elegant!

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-and-history/early-new-york-simplex-steam-pumps-388252/

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 12:45:53 PM »
Chris,

I know you are already into this...but take a look at these beauties. Maybe the details will be of some inspiration. The first one is so darn elegant!

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-and-history/early-new-york-simplex-steam-pumps-388252/
Wow, those are really great pumps!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 02:38:13 PM »
Hi Chris, your Weir pump looks like another great project!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 03:23:47 PM »
Got the sides of the cylinder and pump blocks recessed in

The end mill left a visible tool mark pattern, though it is smooth to the touch. So, a little sanding got it looking better. Here are the parts so far:

Next I think will be to drill the passages in the pump body, then will turn the end caps for the blocks and get the holes for all the cap mounts done at once.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 09:07:58 PM »
Lovely work at a blistering pace again :o     Takes me back to apprentice days...there was a section for Weir pumps down one side of the turbine shop, so definitely following  :popcorn: :popcorn:              Terry

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2021, 10:33:03 PM »
Lovely work at a blistering pace again :o     Takes me back to apprentice days...there was a section for Weir pumps down one side of the turbine shop, so definitely following  :popcorn: :popcorn:              Terry
So that place repaired/maintained the pumps? Okay, get your camera and hop into your WayBack machine and take lots of pictures!   :Lol:

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 12:02:07 AM »
Indeed - this forum should have it's own Tardis for such things...

Very nice work, and fast as usual.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 04:33:13 PM »
Yesterday I turned the cylinder/pump end caps, with recesses to hold an o-ring on the inner caps. The o-ring will provide a seal for the piston rod. Then set up on the mill to drill all the mounting holes in the caps, blocks, and center spacer.

Here are the parts all test fit - there was one hole that must have skated a little and required clearancing out the matching holes in the caps.

So far so good! Now will start on the passages for the pump end...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2021, 06:40:12 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

You must have got some dilithium crystals in your Christmas stocking, cause you are running at warp factor 9 on this build!  :Lol:

( I got coal in mine, but not complaining, as it is handy for the forge)  :shrug:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2021, 08:05:14 PM »
No dilithium needed for this next part, got the pump body block drilled and bolted on. The vertical hole down the center has a narrower center section, and connects to another hole through the lower pump section where the piston rod ends. There will be two more sections added to the vertical passage to form the rest of the check valve. The cross passage is currently plugged with a rather ugly SHCS - that will need to be changed too.

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2021, 11:57:02 PM »
Sometimes - unlike yourself - I need a dose of dilithium just to get out to the shop...

Very tidy work.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2021, 02:38:57 AM »
Thats coming together very nicely Crueby!...   I recently saw a 2 cylinder fire fighting pump that is similar.....it got the juices flowing that's for sure!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2021, 02:47:32 AM »
Thanks guys, its kinda nice to get back to a mostly-brass project, its fun stuff to machine.

Dave, a fire fighting pumper would be a great vehicle project, one of the early horse drawn style. Never looked that close at how the early ones function. Another fun thing to research!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2021, 12:57:40 PM »
Here's a vid and a picture.....scotch yoke turning a small crankshaft with pins at 90 degrees....a simple engine    Looks like integral feed pumps as well

https://www.facebook.com/100001058723506/videos/4004284736283444/

Nice looker!

Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2021, 01:27:37 PM »
Wow, that is a beautiful design on the merryweather pump!  We need to send Willy to Scotland to take measurements of the one there!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2021, 04:20:11 PM »

Lot of good design features on that Scotch yoke pump / engine. Like it!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2021, 05:00:19 PM »
Some more done on the model yesterday and today, got the two steam chests milled to shape and drilled. Both are similar shapes, with a recess on one side for the slide valves, the inner one is thicker than the outer reversing one.

Here is what they look like test fit on the cylinder block:

Being a bit top heavy and off center, the steam chests required that I make the base to keep it standing up. Simple aluminum plate with feet to keep it up off the bottom of the water tray it will sit in for demos

Now down to the moving and fiddly-bit parts - valves, rods, pistons, covers, and the reverse arm.

Online tghs

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2021, 05:09:13 PM »
I was thinking something along the lines of this to keep him and the elves busy for a while..
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4o5StO9BrE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4o5StO9BrE</a>
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 06:06:15 PM by tghs »
what the @#&% over

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2021, 05:11:11 PM »
Was looking around for info on that Merryweather pump, and realized that Julius had posted plans for one based on an old magazine article - found a copy in my own folders of plans already!  Here is a link to a thread with his plans:
https://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php?topic=3761.0
and the plans it is based on:
http://www.john-tom.com/MyPlans/SteamPlans2/Fire%20Engine%201908/ModelEngineerFireEngine1908Small.pdf

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2021, 05:13:40 PM »
I was thinking something along the lines of this to him and the elves busy for a while..
[youtube1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4o5StO9BrE[/youtube1]
I remember seeing that show, that was an AMAZING restoration job they did on a big fire engine. The shop elves would have to bribe ME with a LOT of cookies to attempt that one!
Another episode in that series was a restoration on an enormous pipe organ, in Chicago I think? The pipes and mechanism took up one  whole end of the building.

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2021, 05:20:32 PM »
In any shop, lathe chucks, milling cutters etc look like a bur when they are in  motion.

I suspect that in your shop, your hands are like a blur too given the rate of your progress.

Looking great...

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2021, 06:37:07 PM »
Looking good there Crueby.  :ThumbsUp:  I like the finish you have on those parts.  :popcorn: :DrinkPint:

BC1
Jim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2021, 06:43:22 PM »
Thanks guys!

Jim, I am thinking of giving the recessed areas of the cylinder and pump blocks a sandblasting to make the look cast and get rid of the last of the tool marks. Had considered nickel plating it all, but I like the brass look.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2021, 08:25:29 PM »
Hi Chris, do you have one of those Dremel engravers? the ones I mean are for engraving initials on tools and things. Anyway, these can be used to engrave a cast like finish in pockets and recesses on machined parts. If you work back and forth one way, overlapping to cover the whole surface, then do the same at 90 degrees to the first pass, it can produce an effect very much like sand cast metal. Just an idea. I find doing this op relaxing after doing more mentally strenuous machine ops earlier in an evening.  :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2021, 08:47:10 PM »
Hi Chris, do you have one of those Dremel engravers? the ones I mean are for engraving initials on tools and things. Anyway, these can be used to engrave a cast like finish in pockets and recesses on machined parts. If you work back and forth one way, overlapping to cover the whole surface, then do the same at 90 degrees to the first pass, it can produce an effect very much like sand cast metal. Just an idea. I find doing this op relaxing after doing more mentally strenuous machine ops earlier in an evening.  :cheers:
I've done things like that in the past, used a little air powered rotary tool that takes dental burs. For this one I'm thinking of using a airbrush style sandblaster that has a small pattern, so it will get into small areas. Same that I did on the engine block of the Stanley. Doesn't do the deeper pits and roughness, but more of a matte finish which looks like a scaled down cast surface.
Or, may leave it like it is. Not totally sure yet.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2021, 06:26:24 PM »
With the main structural parts shaped, time to start on the moving parts. Started with the reversing valve rod, which is a straight rod, threaded at the bottom end and notched down near the top end to hold the valve slider. The slider is held in the notch, and all the travel adjustment is at the bottom end.

Here it is fitted to the reversing valve chest - the top/bottom plates on the chest hold o-rings to seal around the rod.

And fitted back on the pump, also made the post that the reversing arm hangs from. The pipework on top of the pump is just set in place for now, till the final length of the valve rod is determined and the rod trimmed back - rather start oversize than come up short.

Then made up the piston rod, which doubles as the pump ram. Its interesting that the piston rod is such a large diameter at the top end, much bigger than a normal double acting engine would be, but this way it reduces the volume under the piston, which reduces both the force and the amount of steam used to raise the piston and draw in water - its not doing anywhere near the work that it does on the downstroke, and they took that into accound. I think steam hammers are set up the same way.

The piston set in position - there is an o-ring between the plates at the pump end as well as at the base of the cylinder to seal it. I also am adding o-rings at the base of the piston head and on top of it, to cushion it slightly in case it over-runs the normal travel when starting up dry.

Just got the two valve faces (one on the main cylinder, one on the reversing valve) lapped smooth, so I can start on the valve sliders. Both of them are normal d-valve style. I dont want to use brass on the sliders, since the faces are brass, so may use either bronze or stainless steel, will see what size bar I have that is closest.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2021, 06:29:01 PM »

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2021, 01:26:53 AM »
Beautiful!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2021, 06:23:01 PM »
On to the fiddly-bits for the pump - milled the valve sliders out of some bronze bar, here is the reverse valve slider set in place

Then made the shuttle bar for the main cylinder valve. This dumb-bell shaped bar acts like a double ended piston, and gets pushed back and forth by pressure sent from the reversing valve, moving the main cylinder slider to send the piston up and down. It acts like a wall light switch - nothing happens till the reversing valve gets moved far enough, then it snaps the main slider over to the other end of its travel, sending the piston the other way.

shuttle in place on the slider:

and both installed in the steam chest - the shuttle goes through the hole in the end of the chest, then the slider slips on over the narrow part. A cover at either end of the chest seals up the hole.

A view from the end of the chest, showing the end of the shuttle and the ports that bring pressure from the reversing valve. As pressure is sent to one end of the shuttle, the other end is opened to the exhaust to let it get pushed over. The ends of the shuttle are stepped in, so that the shuttle can't plug the hole if it goes all the way across.

Down to the final few parts - the reverse lever which takes movement from the piston rod to the reverse valve rod, gaskets for the steam/pump chests and covers, and a steam inlet pipe and valve. Should have first movement in a couple days!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2021, 12:21:34 AM »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2021, 01:31:46 AM »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2021, 02:19:27 PM »
The reversing arm was milled out of some flat bar, and the slot in the piston milled through. Since the arm tips as the piston moves, the slot has to be angled from back to front. So, milled the narrow part of the slot vertically, then tiipped the mill head each way to do the angled portions.

Parts test fit, all looks good. Hard to move the piston since there is not much to hold onto, no flywheel or crankshaft to grip onto, but the throw seems to be good.

And added a threaded block to hold the steam valve - I prefer to use a valve at the engine to control flow, and let the compressor just send higher pressure like a boiler would, it tends to give a better slow running engine.

All thats left is to make the gaskets, and tighten everything up for a timing test!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2021, 02:50:55 PM »
Oh that's a cute little pump!!    Coming along nicely!     Steamer wants big vroom!..... 8)

Damned ijjit!

Online tghs

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2021, 04:48:22 PM »
I think we need to pay a welfare visit,, me thinks the elfs have the shop master confined to the shop with an ankle chain (he is making the rest of us look really lazy) :NotWorthy:
what the @#&% over

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2021, 05:07:26 PM »

Earlier this week I mailed Chris a virtual cookie with a file in it, thinking the shop elves may have chained him to a bench, similar to your train of thought.  (Files in cakes went out of style with the 3 stooges)   :Lol:

Little do the shop elves know that Weir pumps can deliver very high force spurts of water capable of serious elf motion inducement! They may have forgotten the pressure washer hose incident (known as the shop elf tilt a whirl ride).

:cheers:  Just joking, looking forward to the test running report and video!  :cheers:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2021, 05:54:59 PM »
Damn Dog how did I miss this one, boy an’t no grass growing under your feet. Geez another great project..... :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2021, 06:12:18 PM »
Thanks guys - this has been a very fun project!

CNR/tghs, the file in the cookie was a great idea, but the elves danced with it just out of reach of my chain, ate the cookie, and tossed the file behind the cabinet....    :Mad:    I eventually got the chain into the mill vise and cut myself loose...

But, it was worth it! Its a runner!  Am uploading a video to youtube now, will post the results in a few minutes. In the meantime, the elves are making a showerhead for the output pipe...  And you are right, if I block the output tube with my finger, it will squirt water a long way, just like playing with a garden hose!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2021, 06:28:16 PM »
This morning/afternoon I got the gaskets made for the pump, and started testing it to get it to run. At first, no luck, seemed to be leaking really badly somewhere. I traced it back to the gasket on the main valve face - there is a passage next to the slider that takes exhaust from the reverse valve chest and runs it out to the main exhaust on the cylinder side. When I made the gasket, I had connected that passage to the main chamber rather than keeping it seperate. Whoops!  That just ran steam straight out the exhaust. Once I realized that goof, made another gasket and reassembled, and things started to move. Then it was just a matter of figuring out the timing on the valve rod, adjusting the nuts up and down till it ran by itself.
So, first a couple of pictures:

And then a couple videos of it running - it is sitting in a tray of water about 1/2" deep. It actually primed itself after a few strokes the first run, so the check valves must be sealing well. Here goes:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxoGmxfvNX0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxoGmxfvNX0</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alJvcBV_H-U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alJvcBV_H-U</a>

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2021, 07:06:20 PM »
Wel Done Chris :ThumbsUp:   Another great build :praise2:     Terry

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2021, 09:30:51 PM »
Thanks Terry!

I had a note from a friend who wants to build one too, and he could not find the plans on Kennions website. Turns out there are TWO places with similar name that sell model steam stuff, the one I got the plans from is GLR Kennions, not Kennions Model Engineering Supplies.

Chris

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2021, 09:41:19 PM »
What happened here Chris .... your builds use to entertain the rest of us for months at least  :popcorn:
But now it's only a matter of days - hardly time to notice that you have started, before you're finished with this one  ;)

Is it going to stay bling, so to speak, or are you give it some patina / scenery ...?

Per

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2021, 10:01:03 PM »
What happened here Chris .... your builds use to entertain the rest of us for months at least  :popcorn:
But now it's only a matter of days - hardly time to notice that you have started, before you're finished with this one  ;)

Is it going to stay bling, so to speak, or are you give it some patina / scenery ...?

Per

:Lol:   yeah, I looked back and this one was only a week. I DID mention at the start it would be a quick build! These pumps are very simple, no crankshaft, no eccentric, very few parts. Still, its mesmerizing to watch running slow. This is something I have wanted to do for a long time, finally made it to the top of the list.

Now, the next project is gonna be another biggy, time and size wise. It will be the Holly pumping engine from the Ward station in Buffalo. I've mentioned it before, finally got the 3d CAD model complete and started making the 2d drawing sheets. Also got some materials on order for the base and frames. Found a pair of big flywheels that I can adapt, and got a couple of cast iron automotive cylinder liners to use for the cores of the intermediate and low pressure cylinders. Stay tuned for the start!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2021, 11:16:03 PM »
Awesome and very impressive Dog, your the man...... :Love:

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2021, 11:28:53 PM »
Awesome and very impressive Dog, your the man...... :Love: