Author Topic: A Weir Steam Pump  (Read 5163 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
A Weir Steam Pump
« on: March 01, 2021, 09:40:41 PM »
Hi all,
With the Mann truck waiting for a spring thaw, its time to move on to a much smaller project that I've been wanting to build for a while - a steam powered boiler feed pump. Did a bunch of looking around at different designs/plans, and found that while they share a lot of common features, there are a lot of differences in the details of the valving. After a lot of dithering, chatting/arguing with the shop elves, and buying a variety of plans from different sources, I have settled on a version of the Weir pump based on the plans from Kennions in the UK.

The main reason for that style is that the porting/valves seems to be the simplist to make - a lot of them have a squirrels-nest of passages, all very close to each other, and look like they would be very touchy to get running. The Weir pump uses a more straightforward set of passages and valve sliders, very similar to a standard double-acting cylinder with two stacked steam chests rather than one. So, that one wins out - though I am building it double the size shown in the plans.

Making it larger should make it a bit less touchy on the timing adjustments, and hopefully will result in running slower than really small engines tend to want to. It winds up with a 3/4" diameter piston and a cylinder block 1-5/8" long, which I can get out of some chunks of brass bar sitting on the stock shelf already. It looks like I can build the entire project with material already on hand, which is handy.  ;D To make it easier to follow the plans without having to remember to double everything on the fly, and to adjust a few things to use the fastener sizes I like, it was first drawn up in Fusion as a 3D CAD model, and new plans at the larger size printed out. Here is what it should end up looking like:

Construction started the other day, so I'll get caught up - all this was NOT done in a day!
Started with the center seperator, which looks like a crosshead guide, but it is just a spacer - nothing will be touching the inside of the tube. Drilled/bored the center opening, then turned the outside to shape.

Then bored out the openings in the sides - these give room for the reversing arm to go from the piston rod out to the valve rod.

The next day, I started in on the cylinder block (actually am doing the same outside shaping on the bottom valve block as well, they are the same outside shape but with different bores). First drilled/bored out the cylinder:

Then set it up on an arbor on the mill, also known as the Swarf Maker, to round the three sides behind the steam chest base:

and flattened off the port face of the steam chest base.

While the block was still leveled up in the vise, went ahead and milled in the steam ports, identical to a standard double acting cylinder:

plus the mounting holes and the hole for the passage into the valve chests above - here is where it starts varying from a standard engine, this passage will feed steam up to the reversing valve.

Also drilled the passages from the cylinder ends to the outer valve ports, first milling a flat so the drill would not skate:

finished up by milling the openings from those holes to the ends of the cylinder:

Thats where it sits at the moment - next stage will be to set up the rotary table vertically to mill the open spaces between the end flanges on the cylinder blocks. Its all going pretty quickly, love how easily brass machines!
Chris
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 09:44:41 PM by crueby »

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
Re: A Weir Steam Pump
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 10:59:04 PM »
Hullo Chris......following on :ThumbsUp:...is this a 2:1 ratio example pump?.......[3/4" diameter steam x 3/8" diameter water?] ..........Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 11:08:38 PM »
Hullo Chris......following on :ThumbsUp: ...is this a 2:1 ratio example pump?.......[3/4" diameter steam x 3/8" diameter water?] ..........Derek
Not 2:1 - the piston rod is 7/16" diameter, so the area works out to about 3:1. That is the ratio of the plans I got - is 2:1 more typical?

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 11:29:32 PM »
Ratios......some of the 5" gauge Guys have 2:1 scale boiler pumps.......it is a common talking point...... that if they work...great  :ThumbsUp:      , if they don't, then they never will   :killcomputer:

It is also a common thread...so many small drilling & so close to each other

Regner produced a beautiful 'extremely small' train boiler feed pump, but the Warranty was void   :zap: if it was taken apart.......not sure if it is still available

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKdX5B8g9MI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKdX5B8g9MI</a>

Derek
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 11:38:00 PM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 11:50:37 PM »
Yeah, thats why I chose this design and decided to make it larger, hoping that it helps get it to run well. The passages work out very simple in it, though it still has the usual shuttle valve.

I looked for the Regner steam pump, and the Train Department here in the US carries it, at least they have some left if they are not made anymore. Pretty pricey at $650 though, my model will cost me a fraction of that in materials anyway.
https://www.thetraindepartment.com/regner/water-pumps/
 :cheers:

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 12:44:08 AM »
This will be interesting!

Off to a good start already...

:popcorn:

Offline tghs

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 11:12:12 AM »
of course I'm watching as I'm working on the same sorta thing right now, at my pace not this "warp speed" crap :cheers:
what the @#&% over

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 12:18:37 PM »
Chris,

I know you are already into this...but take a look at these beauties. Maybe the details will be of some inspiration. The first one is so darn elegant!

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-and-history/early-new-york-simplex-steam-pumps-388252/

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 12:45:53 PM »
Chris,

I know you are already into this...but take a look at these beauties. Maybe the details will be of some inspiration. The first one is so darn elegant!

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-and-history/early-new-york-simplex-steam-pumps-388252/
Wow, those are really great pumps!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 02:38:13 PM »
Hi Chris, your Weir pump looks like another great project!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 03:23:47 PM »
Got the sides of the cylinder and pump blocks recessed in

The end mill left a visible tool mark pattern, though it is smooth to the touch. So, a little sanding got it looking better. Here are the parts so far:

Next I think will be to drill the passages in the pump body, then will turn the end caps for the blocks and get the holes for all the cap mounts done at once.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 09:07:58 PM »
Lovely work at a blistering pace again :o     Takes me back to apprentice days...there was a section for Weir pumps down one side of the turbine shop, so definitely following  :popcorn: :popcorn:              Terry

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2021, 10:33:03 PM »
Lovely work at a blistering pace again :o     Takes me back to apprentice days...there was a section for Weir pumps down one side of the turbine shop, so definitely following  :popcorn: :popcorn:              Terry
So that place repaired/maintained the pumps? Okay, get your camera and hop into your WayBack machine and take lots of pictures!   :Lol:

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 12:02:07 AM »
Indeed - this forum should have it's own Tardis for such things...

Very nice work, and fast as usual.

:popcorn:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 04:33:13 PM »
Yesterday I turned the cylinder/pump end caps, with recesses to hold an o-ring on the inner caps. The o-ring will provide a seal for the piston rod. Then set up on the mill to drill all the mounting holes in the caps, blocks, and center spacer.

Here are the parts all test fit - there was one hole that must have skated a little and required clearancing out the matching holes in the caps.

So far so good! Now will start on the passages for the pump end...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal