Author Topic: Side project - Lombard RC truck  (Read 1731 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Side project - Lombard RC truck
« on: February 26, 2021, 02:04:35 PM »
Hi guys,

I've been working on a radio control model truck based on the Lombard dump truck - found an off-the-shelf truck with similar proportions that looks like this that gave me the chassis, motor, transmission, axles, etc

Then worked from pictures I had and this one that one of the guys up at the museum sent me of a real one:

and combined it with the tracks off of a RC Tiger Tank, and got this hybrid monster:

The cab is well under way, all plywood panels so pretty straightforward. Just had to take it for a drive around the room. Not easy to aim the camera and drive a truck at the same time!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ize_aChemMQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ize_aChemMQ</a>

Still need to do more detailing (headlights, etc) and fasten the hood
 down (it keeps sliding off) but its close to done.

Chris

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
Re: Side project - Lombard RC truck
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 02:54:55 PM »
Didn’t take you long to find your next project.  What you call a ‘side project’ most of us would classify as a full blown project.  Looks pretty interesting, just like all the other stuff you do.  Maybe you’ll even find a ulterior use for ‘Will-da-beast”  :cheers:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 03:40:29 PM »
Having the truck kit as a starter sped this project up a lot, all I needed to make was a few adapters for the hubs on the sprockets and some mounting plates. The cab is thin plywood with glue blocks in the corners. If made from scratch, this would have been a much much longer project. Right now am painting the headlights and steering wheel from the truck kit.

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 04:52:26 PM »
That is one cool looking project .Paint IT UP IN Olive Drab with a White star on the door. You get the idea....  :DrinkPint:

BC1
Jim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 05:46:27 PM »
That is one cool looking project .Paint IT UP IN Olive Drab with a White star on the door. You get the idea....  :DrinkPint:

BC1
Jim
Would look good that way, but this was a truck used on construction sites and small town highway departments. I took the color from the one up at the logging museum. They have another one, on loan from the owner of this one, similar but not a dump bed, that is painted dark green. They call that one The Green Machine, sometimes Kermit.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 08:12:50 PM »
These half track trucks were quite common. My father had a book about them. I will put up some pix tomorrow.
Best regards

Roger

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 08:45:51 PM »
These half track trucks were quite common. My father had a book about them. I will put up some pix tomorrow.
Terrific, thanks!  Do you know the title of the book?

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 10:42:11 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

The Lombard RC truck looks great Chris! A fun model. I see it unloads freight with the same TLC our local UPS driver uses. Got a monitor for a PC delivered bent 90 degrees in the middle and the glass in a million pieces last week. Less than optimal. Oh well. Even the Pony Express tossed the odd package off a running horse I guess..... :Lol:

The freight looks vaguely like 3D printed pumping engine cylinders......any truth to the rumour?  Are you experiencing symptoms of pumposis in some degree?   :Lol: Just kidding you, good to see your posts.  :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 10:42:45 PM »
When I was a kid growing up in the early 1950's, "Happy Jan" the owner of Jan's sawmill had a world war two military half track. He used to go roaring in and out our side road with it. I don't really know what practical purpose he had for it (probably timber ranging), but he had a lot of fun with it. He was very mechanically inclined, in fact, he built the first snowmobile I ever seen, using sawmill belting, hardwood cleats, and the engine from a two man chainsaw. The front 'ski' that steered it was the hood of a 1938 Dodge car!!!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 11:25:09 PM »
:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

The Lombard RC truck looks great Chris! A fun model. I see it unloads freight with the same TLC our local UPS driver uses. Got a monitor for a PC delivered bent 90 degrees in the middle and the glass in a million pieces last week. Less than optimal. Oh well. Even the Pony Express tossed the odd package off a running horse I guess..... :Lol:

The freight looks vaguely like 3D printed pumping engine cylinders......any truth to the rumour?  Are you experiencing symptoms of pumposis in some degree?   :Lol: Just kidding you, good to see your posts.  :cheers:
At least the prevalence of video doorbells has reduced the number of packages just being flung out the truck door as they drive past!

Those 3d printed parts are actually from the Stanley and Mann engines. I haven't started on the steam pump, sorta. I do have the plans done and printed out, and just gave some brass bar stock a stress relief session in the oven!

:cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 11:26:06 PM »
When I was a kid growing up in the early 1950's, "Happy Jan" the owner of Jan's sawmill had a world war two military half track. He used to go roaring in and out our side road with it. I don't really know what practical purpose he had for it (probably timber ranging), but he had a lot of fun with it. He was very mechanically inclined, in fact, he built the first snowmobile I ever seen, using sawmill belting, hardwood cleats, and the engine from a two man chainsaw. The front 'ski' that steered it was the hood of a 1938 Dodge car!!!
Sounds like a fun guy!!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 07:30:31 AM »
This is the book and a couple of pictures from it. Maybe you have already seen it.
Best regards

Roger

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 12:21:23 PM »
That's great Chris, I love the Lombards, also fond of the Linn.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 01:32:30 PM »
Thanks for the pictures of the book Roger, I have not seen that one before!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 09:04:24 PM »
Having the truck kit as a starter sped this project up a lot, all I needed to make was a few adapters for the hubs on the sprockets and some mounting plates. The cab is thin plywood with glue blocks in the corners. If made from scratch, this would have been a much much longer project. Right now am painting the headlights and steering wheel from the truck kit.

As an RC car junkie....you know I like this build....Nice one Crueby!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal