Author Topic: Chris's Mann Steam Wagon Complete  (Read 6227 times)

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
Re: Chris's Mann Steam Wagon Complete
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 02:37:19 AM »
In all of the video 'footage'.....I cannot determine what the Grey floor covering is?.......hope it's resistant to the odd steam oil drip  :facepalm:

...and that driver is getting extremely close to that  :old: rocking chair  :ROFL:

Absolutely brilliant   :cheers:

Derek 

PS....the rough sawn timber grain/roughness in the green timber side boards of the table tray are very realistic  :ThumbsUp:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 02:41:42 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2021, 02:51:25 AM »
In all of the video 'footage'.....I cannot determine what the Grey floor covering is?.......hope it's resistant to the odd steam oil drip  :facepalm:

...and that driver is getting extremely close to that  :old: rocking chair  :ROFL:

Absolutely brilliant   :cheers:

Derek 

PS....the rough sawn timber grain/roughness in the green timber side boards of the table tray are very realistic  :ThumbsUp:
Hi Derek,

The floor covering is actually a dark green pile carpet, at the low angle of the camera the reflection of the lights changed the appearance a bit, the mix of light bulb types also confuses digital sensors in the camera.

The stopping of the truck was tricky. The shutoff valve was at the compressor end of a 25 foot hose, and the boiler holds some volume, so I had to shut it off about 2 or 3 feet ahead. Never actually hit, but it was close!

I also like how the paint went on the wood. Its an automotive engine enamel spray paint, goes on with a very thin film, so the grain still shows.

:cheers:

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2021, 02:54:27 AM »
That was another question....as the Green paint certainly did not cover up the roughness of the timber  :wine1:
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2021, 02:56:46 AM »
Oh, and since it was running on air, no steam oil or condensation so no drips! The exhaust is run into the smokebox, so the oil in the cylinders that did blow through got trapped there. All other parts were wiped down to prevent drips.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2021, 02:59:21 AM »
That was another question....as the Green paint certainly did not cover up the roughness of the timber  :wine1:
Its the same paint used on the boiler, Duplicolor Engine Enamel with Ceramic, takes high temperature, no baking needed to cure, thin film, and dry to touch in ten minutes. Its my new go to paint.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2021, 05:44:31 AM »
Great work Chris!
Another neat journey for us to watch! I see the Team are pretty quick to jump in & start getting sorted for the first Beer run! You might have to leave the compressor hose hooked up to keep them rained in.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2021, 05:55:13 PM »
Splendid as ever  :praise2:  :praise2: I await the spring steam up  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2021, 09:25:57 AM »
Bravo Chris, another magnificent build.   :cartwheel:

I love the “elf side” view.  Seems like we’re riding in the “real thing”.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2021, 08:43:07 PM »
Dog this has been one of the most exciting journey following this awesome built. From beginning to end you have shown all the details and documents for this wonderful model. The awww factor is breathe taking to say the least. Your skills are bar none Chris your still the man....... :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2021, 04:49:58 PM »
Thanks everyone!

One more bit of detailing added on (probably not the last). I found a small barrel from a plastic kit (on left), but wanted more of them. So, made a silicone mold from two part Smooth-On silicone rubber (had some left over from a boat project) and cast a bunch in epoxy resin (System 3 SilverTip left over from same boat project).

Here they are painted up

Be nice to find some larger ones too, may add some more crates or at least some grain sacks.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2021, 06:35:18 PM »
great looking barrels Chris !  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

They're also going to be fun in that it's only a matter of time until the shop elves can no longer resist the urge to drill a bung hole in one only to find out there ain't no beer in there!

There will likely be some 'tut tut's' or 'heavens no's' etc. at that point, or even some saltier elf words......  and even worse when they try the second third fourth etc.   :Lol: :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2021, 06:21:39 PM »
We finally have gotten to some nice spring weather up here in the Northeast, so it was time to get the Mann wagon out for some steaming!  Everything went pretty well, at first the differential was slipping on bumps, turned out the set screws needed to be reset to push the bevel gears in a little tighter together. After that, I got in some short runs, but while a mostly calm day the wind would gust up to 15 or 20 mph very briefly - just enough to blow out the burner.   :cussing:   But, it went very very well for first steaming! It built up pressure fairly quick, 25 psi in the first 6 or 8 minutes from cold, and built up steadily from there. Not bad for an uninsulated boiler sitting in a heavy metal frame, so am happy with that. On previous models I used a poker burner (regner?) and it was not enough to build pressure on larger boilers. This time I used a firetube burner from Clevedon Steam, and it puts out a lot more heat (little more thirsty on the fuel, but it gets there faster, so thats a wash).

Bottom line - I am going to see about rigging up a wind shield around the burner to see if I can keep the wind from being a problem, a simple sheet metal piece with holes should do the trick.

Without further ado, here is a short set of clips I grabbed - would have been longer but I was more concerned with keeping an eye on things and keeping it from running off into the lawn than running the camera!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTthq_e4GHY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTthq_e4GHY</a>
Chris

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2021, 07:21:32 PM »
looks great running out in the sunshine! The engine seems to like steam just as well as compressed air.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:  :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2021, 07:25:21 PM »
Looking good Chris :ThumbsUp:        Terry

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2021, 07:41:54 PM »
Splendid  :praise2:  :praise2:  :wine1: