Author Topic: Chris's Mann Steam Wagon Complete  (Read 6246 times)

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
Re: Chris's Mann Steam Wagon Complete
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2021, 08:17:45 PM »
Nice to see it in steam Chris. Try "thingiverse" for barrels and then you could get them 3D printed at whatever size you want. Surprising what you can find on "thingiverse". John :DrinkPint: :old:
When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

Offline kuhncw

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2021, 09:29:09 PM »
Very well done, Chris.

Chuck

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2021, 10:01:17 PM »
Very nice!

Dave

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2021, 01:39:45 AM »
 :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2021, 01:42:41 AM »
Hi Chris, great to see it running on steam after your long winter.  You must be really chuffed with those first puffs!

I has been another of your amazing builds which, like so many others, I have followed from the beginning.  Interesting that the company that built that truck so long ago is still a big player in building transport vehicles even today.

You might need a bigger fuel tank for the bigger burner, that box in the back would look even better if it was a bit bigger anyway, so plenty of room for a larger fuel tank.  In the mean time, is it worth starting with hot water to give a bit more steaming time?  Is there radio control (and reverse gear)  coming next?

Congratulations,

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2021, 02:35:36 AM »
Hi Chris, great to see it running on steam after your long winter.  You must be really chuffed with those first puffs!

I has been another of your amazing builds which, like so many others, I have followed from the beginning.  Interesting that the company that built that truck so long ago is still a big player in building transport vehicles even today.

You might need a bigger fuel tank for the bigger burner, that box in the back would look even better if it was a bit bigger anyway, so plenty of room for a larger fuel tank.  In the mean time, is it worth starting with hot water to give a bit more steaming time?  Is there radio control (and reverse gear)  coming next?

Congratulations,

MJM460
Hi MJM,

Are you thinking of Man Truck & Bus? Far as I know, no connection to the original Mann steam wagon company, which closed down in 1929.

There are larger fuel tanks I can go with, have to see if a wind guard solves the issue first. It appears that the issue was wind gusts rather than capacity, I was able to relight it several times without refills. Gee, I'll just have to do more steamups! Darn...   :Lol:

I do have a winch servo that could do steering, normal one could do throttle. The reverse gear and shifting transmission would be tricky for RC.

Thanks all, will post more videos as they get taken!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2021, 05:28:26 AM »
Excellent steam-up video, Chris!  It's fun to see the Mann Steam Wagon actually steaming around your driveway!

Kim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2021, 06:45:37 AM »
Hi Chris,
what a great day to see it steaming outside.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2021, 09:41:03 AM »
Congratulations, great to see this beautiful vehicle running on steam, you should feel really good about this achievement;  these first steam puffs are so realistic !

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2021, 03:55:44 PM »
Chris:

You wanted some grain sacks to add to the cargo load.  Something like this work?

I made these several years ago for one of our adminitrative assistants who had a zen rock garden sitting on the counter by her desk.  Periodically some kind soul would add an interesting rock to her garden.  I asked her what she fed her pet rocks and she said that she had no idea what pet rocks ate.  Remembering the Purina Lion Chow scene from "Secondhand Lion" I made her a stack of these.

They are 3" tall by 1-1/2 wide and about 1/2" thick.  I drew them up in CAD, printed them out on a color printer, cut them out, and then folded/glued them up around a piece of high density foam.  I would suggest that you don't make any bags of Purina Elf Chow though, you might have a riot on your hands.  Elfensteiner Special Elf Blend might work though.

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2021, 04:25:58 PM »
Those are great sacks!  I had sewn up some cloth ones, but I like your idea, with the logo on it. I filled mine with crumpled up meeting notices, figured that would repel the elves. And me too!

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2021, 01:10:20 AM »
Nice to see the Mann running on steam.  Great job, you’ve gotta be happy with that.

Aren’t your elves gonna be disappointed when they try to tap those barrels?
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2021, 01:18:56 AM »
Nice to see the Mann running on steam.  Great job, you’ve gotta be happy with that.

Aren’t your elves gonna be disappointed when they try to tap those barrels?
Yup - they were very disappointed! They tried first time I left the room, all I heard was crying and talk of !@#%$@## epoxy!

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2021, 08:27:36 PM »
What a beautiful piece of craftsmanship. And you don't have to bother with track work!
Regards,
Ron

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2021, 08:33:16 PM »
What a beautiful piece of craftsmanship. And you don't have to bother with track work!
Thanks Ron!  And this one didn't need the 'tracks' that my Lombard and Marion builds did, which have crawler tracks!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal