Author Topic: Chris's Mann Steam Wagon Complete  (Read 6231 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Chris's Mann Steam Wagon Complete
« on: February 17, 2021, 01:14:52 PM »
Hi everyone,

Except for waiting for spring weather to get it outside and steam it up, the Mann Patent Steam Wagon is complete! Here are a set of pictures of it plus the video of it running on compressed air as seen over in the build log thread. Its been quite a fun journey on this one, and I'd like to thank everyone who followed along, and especially those that assisted with advice/tips/encourangement along the way!
Chris

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghINqgpNeBk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghINqgpNeBk</a>

« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 02:43:23 PM by crueby »

Offline cnr6400

Re: Chris's Mann Steam Wagon Complete
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 02:22:23 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :AllHailTheKing:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online tghs

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 02:37:55 PM »
good looking beauty shots,, the dark background ones look great :cheers:.. a black backdrop cloth could work really well..
what the @#&% over

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 02:44:51 PM »
good looking beauty shots,, the dark background ones look great :cheers: .. a black backdrop cloth could work really well..
Those were taken with the model on a table that sits near the archway into the back room, at night with the lights back there left off. Gives a nice background. In the summer, I've done the same thing out in the garage, thats how I took the shot of my avatar sculpture, with the horse lit up and the background being the front yard (had to pick a day when the neighbor across the street had his lights off! )

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 04:58:08 PM »
Congratulations on another wonderful vehicle. I really like the paint and lettering. I can't wait for the weather to warm up so we can see the outdoors running vehicle.

ShopShoe

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 06:33:54 PM »
Beautiful Model, Chris!  Another huge, involved project under your belt.  You should feel really good about this one.  It runs well and is really nice looking.

Congratulations, Chris!
Kim

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 07:51:05 PM »
Hi Chris,
Yet another spectacular build! I really like how this one came out, the colors, lettering etc.
gbritnelo
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 09:44:12 PM »
Hi Chris, another wonderful result.  It has been great to follow, and wonderful to see it performing so well.

I like especially that you have finished it all so completely, right down to the sign writing.

Congratulations

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline BAH

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 11:02:39 PM »
Awesome work, looks great.
Followed all of your builds, you do amazing work. Looking forward to the steam run

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2021, 11:22:15 PM »
More really fabulous work.  You should be elevated to the status of a national treasure. 

Get the Craftsmanship Museum to finance a west coast tour of your projects (including the carvings) so I (and a bunch of drooling hobbyists I know) can come and light incense, kowtow, and prostrate ourselves before your person.  Well, maybe that's a bit over the top but we'd pour lots of beer into the sacred chalices.

Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 11:49:45 PM »
More really fabulous work.  You should be elevated to the status of a national treasure. 

Get the Craftsmanship Museum to finance a west coast tour of your projects (including the carvings) so I (and a bunch of drooling hobbyists I know) can come and light incense, kowtow, and prostrate ourselves before your person.  Well, maybe that's a bit over the top but we'd pour lots of beer into the sacred chalices.
It might be easier to pack you guys into a big crate with kegs of beer for an east coast visit!!  :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2021, 11:51:00 PM »
Many thanks everyone, much appreciated!

Chris

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 12:08:01 AM »

It might be easier to pack you guys into a big crate with kegs of beer for an east coast visit!!  :cheers:

Chuckle.

I grew up back there.  I've walked and fallen and slipped in snow.  I spent four miserable years in Boston getting an education.  I've smelled the East.  I've been robbed there.  I've skidded on ice there. 

There isn't the remotest chance in hell I'll ever go there again except maybe to get off the plane, empty my bladder, and continue to the few remaining civilized parts of the world.  Kalifornia may be a liberal hellhole but it's got warmth,  good wine, and winsome beauties on the beach volleyball courts.

Now ask me how I really feel.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 01:03:07 AM »

Chuckle.

I grew up back there.  I've walked and fallen and slipped in snow.  I spent four miserable years in Boston getting an education.  I've smelled the East.  I've been robbed there.  I've skidded on ice there. 

There isn't the remotest chance in hell I'll ever go there again except maybe to get off the plane, empty my bladder, and continue to the few remaining civilized parts of the world.  Kalifornia may be a liberal hellhole but it's got warmth,  good wine, and winsome beauties on the beach volleyball courts.

Now ask me how I really feel.

:Lol:

Sounds like you want to move up near Brian Rupnow in the great white north!   :Jester:

Having grown up here in the northeast I am so used to the snowy winter that not having it would be weird. We only get 90 to 150 inches of snow a year, a mere dusting.  :lolb:   At least no earthquakes, firestorms, mudslides, tornadoes, and lots of lakes, creeks, hills. I'd never like being in a big city area, though they are fun to visit.

:cheers:

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 01:26:17 AM »
Chris--Ya done good.--In fact, you done very, very good. I have followed your build from day one, and I am impressed. Congratulations of  the highest order. And I've been to California.---I liked it very much. California was everything I had ever read about it or heard about it. Having spent 74 years here in the great white north, the entire state of California was kind of like a trip to the magic kingdom. I don't think I would want to live there, but it surely is a great place to visit.---Brian

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 02:37:19 AM »
In all of the video 'footage'.....I cannot determine what the Grey floor covering is?.......hope it's resistant to the odd steam oil drip  :facepalm:

...and that driver is getting extremely close to that  :old: rocking chair  :ROFL:

Absolutely brilliant   :cheers:

Derek 

PS....the rough sawn timber grain/roughness in the green timber side boards of the table tray are very realistic  :ThumbsUp:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 02:41:42 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2021, 02:51:25 AM »
In all of the video 'footage'.....I cannot determine what the Grey floor covering is?.......hope it's resistant to the odd steam oil drip  :facepalm:

...and that driver is getting extremely close to that  :old: rocking chair  :ROFL:

Absolutely brilliant   :cheers:

Derek 

PS....the rough sawn timber grain/roughness in the green timber side boards of the table tray are very realistic  :ThumbsUp:
Hi Derek,

The floor covering is actually a dark green pile carpet, at the low angle of the camera the reflection of the lights changed the appearance a bit, the mix of light bulb types also confuses digital sensors in the camera.

The stopping of the truck was tricky. The shutoff valve was at the compressor end of a 25 foot hose, and the boiler holds some volume, so I had to shut it off about 2 or 3 feet ahead. Never actually hit, but it was close!

I also like how the paint went on the wood. Its an automotive engine enamel spray paint, goes on with a very thin film, so the grain still shows.

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2021, 02:54:27 AM »
That was another question....as the Green paint certainly did not cover up the roughness of the timber  :wine1:
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2021, 02:56:46 AM »
Oh, and since it was running on air, no steam oil or condensation so no drips! The exhaust is run into the smokebox, so the oil in the cylinders that did blow through got trapped there. All other parts were wiped down to prevent drips.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2021, 02:59:21 AM »
That was another question....as the Green paint certainly did not cover up the roughness of the timber  :wine1:
Its the same paint used on the boiler, Duplicolor Engine Enamel with Ceramic, takes high temperature, no baking needed to cure, thin film, and dry to touch in ten minutes. Its my new go to paint.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2021, 05:44:31 AM »
Great work Chris!
Another neat journey for us to watch! I see the Team are pretty quick to jump in & start getting sorted for the first Beer run! You might have to leave the compressor hose hooked up to keep them rained in.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2021, 05:55:13 PM »
Splendid as ever  :praise2:  :praise2: I await the spring steam up  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2021, 09:25:57 AM »
Bravo Chris, another magnificent build.   :cartwheel:

I love the “elf side” view.  Seems like we’re riding in the “real thing”.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2021, 08:43:07 PM »
Dog this has been one of the most exciting journey following this awesome built. From beginning to end you have shown all the details and documents for this wonderful model. The awww factor is breathe taking to say the least. Your skills are bar none Chris your still the man....... :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2021, 04:49:58 PM »
Thanks everyone!

One more bit of detailing added on (probably not the last). I found a small barrel from a plastic kit (on left), but wanted more of them. So, made a silicone mold from two part Smooth-On silicone rubber (had some left over from a boat project) and cast a bunch in epoxy resin (System 3 SilverTip left over from same boat project).

Here they are painted up

Be nice to find some larger ones too, may add some more crates or at least some grain sacks.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2021, 06:35:18 PM »
great looking barrels Chris !  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

They're also going to be fun in that it's only a matter of time until the shop elves can no longer resist the urge to drill a bung hole in one only to find out there ain't no beer in there!

There will likely be some 'tut tut's' or 'heavens no's' etc. at that point, or even some saltier elf words......  and even worse when they try the second third fourth etc.   :Lol: :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2021, 06:21:39 PM »
We finally have gotten to some nice spring weather up here in the Northeast, so it was time to get the Mann wagon out for some steaming!  Everything went pretty well, at first the differential was slipping on bumps, turned out the set screws needed to be reset to push the bevel gears in a little tighter together. After that, I got in some short runs, but while a mostly calm day the wind would gust up to 15 or 20 mph very briefly - just enough to blow out the burner.   :cussing:   But, it went very very well for first steaming! It built up pressure fairly quick, 25 psi in the first 6 or 8 minutes from cold, and built up steadily from there. Not bad for an uninsulated boiler sitting in a heavy metal frame, so am happy with that. On previous models I used a poker burner (regner?) and it was not enough to build pressure on larger boilers. This time I used a firetube burner from Clevedon Steam, and it puts out a lot more heat (little more thirsty on the fuel, but it gets there faster, so thats a wash).

Bottom line - I am going to see about rigging up a wind shield around the burner to see if I can keep the wind from being a problem, a simple sheet metal piece with holes should do the trick.

Without further ado, here is a short set of clips I grabbed - would have been longer but I was more concerned with keeping an eye on things and keeping it from running off into the lawn than running the camera!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTthq_e4GHY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTthq_e4GHY</a>
Chris

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2021, 07:21:32 PM »
looks great running out in the sunshine! The engine seems to like steam just as well as compressed air.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:  :cheers:

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2021, 07:25:21 PM »
Looking good Chris :ThumbsUp:        Terry

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2021, 07:41:54 PM »
Splendid  :praise2:  :praise2:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2021, 08:17:45 PM »
Nice to see it in steam Chris. Try "thingiverse" for barrels and then you could get them 3D printed at whatever size you want. Surprising what you can find on "thingiverse". John :DrinkPint: :old:
When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

Offline kuhncw

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2021, 09:29:09 PM »
Very well done, Chris.

Chuck

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2021, 10:01:17 PM »
Very nice!

Dave

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2021, 01:39:45 AM »
 :Love:

Don

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2021, 01:42:41 AM »
Hi Chris, great to see it running on steam after your long winter.  You must be really chuffed with those first puffs!

I has been another of your amazing builds which, like so many others, I have followed from the beginning.  Interesting that the company that built that truck so long ago is still a big player in building transport vehicles even today.

You might need a bigger fuel tank for the bigger burner, that box in the back would look even better if it was a bit bigger anyway, so plenty of room for a larger fuel tank.  In the mean time, is it worth starting with hot water to give a bit more steaming time?  Is there radio control (and reverse gear)  coming next?

Congratulations,

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2021, 02:35:36 AM »
Hi Chris, great to see it running on steam after your long winter.  You must be really chuffed with those first puffs!

I has been another of your amazing builds which, like so many others, I have followed from the beginning.  Interesting that the company that built that truck so long ago is still a big player in building transport vehicles even today.

You might need a bigger fuel tank for the bigger burner, that box in the back would look even better if it was a bit bigger anyway, so plenty of room for a larger fuel tank.  In the mean time, is it worth starting with hot water to give a bit more steaming time?  Is there radio control (and reverse gear)  coming next?

Congratulations,

MJM460
Hi MJM,

Are you thinking of Man Truck & Bus? Far as I know, no connection to the original Mann steam wagon company, which closed down in 1929.

There are larger fuel tanks I can go with, have to see if a wind guard solves the issue first. It appears that the issue was wind gusts rather than capacity, I was able to relight it several times without refills. Gee, I'll just have to do more steamups! Darn...   :Lol:

I do have a winch servo that could do steering, normal one could do throttle. The reverse gear and shifting transmission would be tricky for RC.

Thanks all, will post more videos as they get taken!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2021, 05:28:26 AM »
Excellent steam-up video, Chris!  It's fun to see the Mann Steam Wagon actually steaming around your driveway!

Kim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2021, 06:45:37 AM »
Hi Chris,
what a great day to see it steaming outside.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2021, 09:41:03 AM »
Congratulations, great to see this beautiful vehicle running on steam, you should feel really good about this achievement;  these first steam puffs are so realistic !

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2021, 03:55:44 PM »
Chris:

You wanted some grain sacks to add to the cargo load.  Something like this work?

I made these several years ago for one of our adminitrative assistants who had a zen rock garden sitting on the counter by her desk.  Periodically some kind soul would add an interesting rock to her garden.  I asked her what she fed her pet rocks and she said that she had no idea what pet rocks ate.  Remembering the Purina Lion Chow scene from "Secondhand Lion" I made her a stack of these.

They are 3" tall by 1-1/2 wide and about 1/2" thick.  I drew them up in CAD, printed them out on a color printer, cut them out, and then folded/glued them up around a piece of high density foam.  I would suggest that you don't make any bags of Purina Elf Chow though, you might have a riot on your hands.  Elfensteiner Special Elf Blend might work though.

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2021, 04:25:58 PM »
Those are great sacks!  I had sewn up some cloth ones, but I like your idea, with the logo on it. I filled mine with crumpled up meeting notices, figured that would repel the elves. And me too!

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2021, 01:10:20 AM »
Nice to see the Mann running on steam.  Great job, you’ve gotta be happy with that.

Aren’t your elves gonna be disappointed when they try to tap those barrels?
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2021, 01:18:56 AM »
Nice to see the Mann running on steam.  Great job, you’ve gotta be happy with that.

Aren’t your elves gonna be disappointed when they try to tap those barrels?
Yup - they were very disappointed! They tried first time I left the room, all I heard was crying and talk of !@#%$@## epoxy!

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2021, 08:27:36 PM »
What a beautiful piece of craftsmanship. And you don't have to bother with track work!
Regards,
Ron

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2021, 08:33:16 PM »
What a beautiful piece of craftsmanship. And you don't have to bother with track work!
Thanks Ron!  And this one didn't need the 'tracks' that my Lombard and Marion builds did, which have crawler tracks!

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2021, 09:44:02 PM »
I love this steam wagon. It's so much fun - great to see it under steam, but I also enjoyed the "drivers view" camera footage.

Really inspirational model engineering Chris - kudos to you.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal