About MEM > Introduce Yourself

New member from Lancashire

(1/2) > >>

AndyB_11:
Hi all,

I decided it was time to join after casually browsing your site for about a year and never getting round to registering. Basically I’ve got a bit more time on my hands these days so thought I really should have a go at making a model engine. I had to make parts for what was termed the model shop where I served my apprenticeship and they made scale models of all the products they produced so that was marine diesels, steam turbines and pumps. Usually they were 1:10 scale but that makes a pretty big model when you’re talking 12 stage turbines and each model took a few years to make because only apprentices worked on them and only when you were deemed to be good enough to get involved.

Since those happy days as a 16 year old apprentice centre lathe turner I’ve spent another 45 years as a machinist and own a Myford Super 7, a Chinese bench top mill and a Chester Model B lathe/mill which if I’m honest is a bit lacking in finesse. I can usually pick up bits and pieces of material which need a new home so I’ve not got to worry about cost if I make a mess of anything so it’ll be a case of simply looking at what drawings are put there, deciding what I want to make, probably changing the designs a bit so it’s more ‘my build’ then getting on with it.

That’s it really,

Andy

scc:
Welcome to the forum Andy :)  I'm in Lancashire too.           Terry

Roger B:
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

wirralcnc:
Hi andy welcome. Fairly local to me. I'm in the north west.

Robbie

AndyB_11:
Thanks guys. I suppose I should have said in Lancashire rather than from because my wife (who really is from Lancashire) would have start shouting “oh no he’s not” because I originate from Bedfordshire and I’ve not quite got the accent right  :)

We’re up here because it’s home for her and I practice the black art of on site machining which means I’m never at home when I’m working so it doesn’t matter where we live.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version