Author Topic: New member from Lancashire  (Read 1147 times)

Offline AndyB_11

New member from Lancashire
« on: February 16, 2021, 07:57:10 PM »
Hi all,

I decided it was time to join after casually browsing your site for about a year and never getting round to registering. Basically I’ve got a bit more time on my hands these days so thought I really should have a go at making a model engine. I had to make parts for what was termed the model shop where I served my apprenticeship and they made scale models of all the products they produced so that was marine diesels, steam turbines and pumps. Usually they were 1:10 scale but that makes a pretty big model when you’re talking 12 stage turbines and each model took a few years to make because only apprentices worked on them and only when you were deemed to be good enough to get involved.

Since those happy days as a 16 year old apprentice centre lathe turner I’ve spent another 45 years as a machinist and own a Myford Super 7, a Chinese bench top mill and a Chester Model B lathe/mill which if I’m honest is a bit lacking in finesse. I can usually pick up bits and pieces of material which need a new home so I’ve not got to worry about cost if I make a mess of anything so it’ll be a case of simply looking at what drawings are put there, deciding what I want to make, probably changing the designs a bit so it’s more ‘my build’ then getting on with it.

That’s it really,

Andy

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
Re: New member from Lancashire
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 08:19:05 PM »
Welcome to the forum Andy :)  I'm in Lancashire too.           Terry

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 08:29:52 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline wirralcnc

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 08:49:12 PM »
Hi andy welcome. Fairly local to me. I'm in the north west.

Robbie

Offline AndyB_11

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 09:10:49 PM »
Thanks guys. I suppose I should have said in Lancashire rather than from because my wife (who really is from Lancashire) would have start shouting “oh no he’s not” because I originate from Bedfordshire and I’ve not quite got the accent right  :)

We’re up here because it’s home for her and I practice the black art of on site machining which means I’m never at home when I’m working so it doesn’t matter where we live.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 09:51:02 PM »
Hi Andy , welcome to MEM!

Dave

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 10:46:30 PM »
Hi Andy , welcome to the forum .......wow 45 years of stocking up with the chucking leftover parts !!!! so no problem with materials as you say ?!!!   Looking forward to your builds and wisdom on here .....

Willy

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 06:18:36 AM »
Welcome, Andy!
Looking forward to see what you decide to build out of those castoff chunks you've been collecting :)

Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal