Author Topic: Which model steam locomotive ?  (Read 2713 times)

Daggers

Re: Which model steam locomotive ?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2021, 01:41:13 PM »
I must admit Sweet Pea is a interesting engine and has many positive attributes. A large number built, good manageable size, good runner, fairly simple and quick build for the novice and all castings, build book and laser parts readily available.
I have seen three of my friends build Sweet Pea, two of the as a first loco, and they are really pleased at the outcome.
I have driven and enjoyed all three.

Offline Charles Lamont

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2021, 09:19:47 AM »
Small doesn't mean easier.
Totally agree, but mistakes are cheaper.

Offline RGS1000

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2021, 12:52:47 PM »
Well I finally decided on the Pennsylvania A3 switcher in 3.5 gauge, main reason being I do like the shape and design of it plus the book makes life so much easier.

This will be my first steam locomotive although I have built several stationary engines and have a fair bit of experience but always looking to expand my knowledge, I am going to build the engine first and at the moment I am putting together a list of materials I need for the build up to and including the Tee piece most of this being brass.

Now for the first of what will be many dumb questions, I would rather purchase the wheels rather than try to build them from stock and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of where to get some suitable ones in the UK, also is it better to use Bright Mild Steel / Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled Steel for the Main and Side rods, I am aware of the stress released when machining Cold Rolled but was wondering if there was any other pros and cons.

Thanks in advance for any help

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2021, 04:38:18 PM »
Hi Joe,

That sounds like a great choice!  (I'm not sure there would be a bad choice though! :))

I can't help you with sourcing things too much as I'm on the wrong side of the pond.

I can tell you that Friends sells castings for the A3 drivers as well as castings for the cylinders if you're interested in those.  They do ship overseas, though I don't know what it costs.  here's a link if you want to look: http://www.friendsmodels.com/productsforsale/kozowheelsdrivers.html

I chose to do most of my A3 using mainly steel rather than brass.  I did so for cost reasons, and because I was going to be paining everything anyway.  The one other difference between the cold-rolled steel and hot-rolled,  is that the cold is more accurate dimension-wise.  If you order 1/4"x1" CRS, the dimensions are 0.250 x 1.000" (+/- a thou maybe).  Also, I find the hot-roll harder to machine and it has an outer crust on it that has to be dealt with.  But that is just my experience, which is somewhat limited.

I prefer the CRS and doing some stress relief before use, rather than dealing with the issues of the hot-roled.

Hopefully, you'll get some other input on this from those with more experience than me.
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal