Author Topic: 3d printable cooling fan  (Read 279 times)

Offline awake

3d printable cooling fan
« on: February 05, 2021, 06:40:45 PM »
Attached are files to generate a fan that can be 3d printed without supports. As designed, the fan has a hub that extends further than the blades, with a groove in it; the idea is that the fan will be mounted on a shaft using flanged bearings, with an o-ring or similar belt to drive it (see attachment 1).

This was originally modeled in FreeCAD, but I also created an OpenSCAD version. Both of these are attached; both allow you to change parameters as desired for the hub OD, ID, overall fan blade OD, number of fan blades, etc. - fully configurable.

I have never used .step files or .iges files, so not sure exactly how they will come through - my little bit of experimenting makes it look like it may not be in a form that allows adjustment of the parameters - ? If that is the case, here is the quick version of how I produced the blades (I'm assuming the hub will be no problem to reproduce): I generated a sketch of the "root" of the blade - a parallelogram located at the origin, angled 30, with the top leg of the parallelogram constrained to a horizontal width of 1.5mm, and the overall parallelogram (not the leg, but the overall shape) constrained to a vertical height of 10mm. I generated a second sketch of a similar parallelogram, but this one is angled at 60 and is located at a distance from the origin equal to the radius that I want the fan blades to be - in this case, 29mm (see attachment 2).

From there it is simply a matter of lofting from one sketch to the other, doing a polar transform, and a bit of trimming.

I put a GPL license on all of these files. My intention is to retain credit (cough, cough - yes, a bit of vanity on my part) but to make them completely available to anyone to use however they wish. I'm not sure GPL is the right license - does it allow someone to use these in a commercial project? If not, I'm happy to change it to something that does.

As long as you do not exceed 60, most 3d printers can print this without supports (see attachment 3).

Feedback is welcome!
Andy

Offline cnr6400

Re: 3d printable cooling fan
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 06:49:25 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: Thanks! this fan will come in handy for a couple of cooling jobs in my workshop.  :cheers:

Offline awake

Re: 3d printable cooling fan
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 03:41:34 AM »
Great! Glad to hear that it is useful.
Andy