Supporting > Boilers

boiler materials

(1/3) > >>

fourpines:
Hi I'm just getting started building a vertical boiler. I have 4'' type L copper pipe as my boiler shell , and (3/8 NPS) 0.500'' type L copper pipe for the 13 boiler tubes ,
and I'm thinking of purchasing 1/8'' thick 110 alloy copper plates to form the end caps. Are these materials ok to make a 10'' boiler ?
thanks for any help
Mike

cnr6400:
What existing / proven safe boiler design / plans are you working to?

derekwarner:
Mike......

This issue has been discussed before, in Australia we have  Model Steam Boiler Codes that boilers must conform to in construction and test to be issued with a Boiler Registration....so the engine/boat or fixed steam plant can be used in Public

The UK has strict Model Steam Boiler Codes.......[our OZ Codes are somewhat a mirror of the UK Documents]

In the USA, it appears model steam boiler builders are subjected to a myriad of differing Codes from State to Stae or region to region

It may be a good idea to join a model steam club closeby to your residence........one would expect that the Club would have Boiler Inspectors who could provide advice in their Local Rules & Regs  :happyreader:

Could save a lot of heartache  :facepalm: in the future

Derek

fourpines:
thanks cnr 6400 for your reply , the design is mine using K.N.Harris's book Model Boilers & Boilermaking , using his calculations .
Are the materials ok ?

fourpines:
thanks derekwarner for the reply , I live in Ralston , Pa. north central pa. their are no clubs even near me , I would love to join one .
thanks Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version