Author Topic: Groove for graphited packing  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Re: Groove for graphited packing
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2021, 07:48:15 PM »
Is it really sensible to consider full size practice on something that is so considerably smaller? I wonder?

I certainly bow to Derek's full size working experiences as I simply have none to base my thinking on. But - I have made several model engines now over many years and all fitted as described above. To me I offer the advice based on personal experience from a model making point of view - if it's not seen as such by all means dismiss it.

One of the factors that I believe consideration is paramount in building any engine is that of friction and particularly so the smaller it gets - if it is desired for display only and potential slow running then that is a factor that needs to be given particular credence to. If, on the other hand, it's intended to running it at higher pressure and in a working environment perhaps less so.

Like most things it's 'horses for courses' but to me the focus should be on making the model as efficient as possible rather than basing it on what would have been required in full size practice. Easing friction goes a long way to making for an efficient engine and is certainly something I shall keep firmly in mind on my latest marine compound build

Like most things - 'Yer pays yer Money' - 'Yer pays yer choice' - it's always up to the individual  :shrug:

You may recall this build Derek .....

...... and the pistons fitted

Just some further thoughts from a model makers perspective

Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
Re: Groove for graphited packing
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2021, 09:52:47 PM »
Ian

I certainly could not disagree with the comments from Ramon....further if your V10 engine was to be a display model only I would suggest that a piston seal was not really necessary.......if the model was intended for working display at say 2 > 5 PSI, then a light injection of 3 in 1 type oil prior to running, would also allow the engine to function under air pressure without piston seals [nominal acceptable piston to bore clearance of course required]

If however proposed to be a working model under load, under steam, then a 3mm sq [nominal] square section graphited woven cotton piston seal with a correctly aligned scarf cut joint would provide the required function

Derek

[PS...I had intentionally avoided mentioning cast iron piston rings, or O-rings, as these were outside the question asked]
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 10:42:03 PM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal