Author Topic: LMS HiTorque Bench Mill (Seig X2.7) Y axis woes  (Read 1310 times)

Offline jmcyclist

LMS HiTorque Bench Mill (Seig X2.7) Y axis woes
« on: January 28, 2021, 08:17:51 PM »
I received a new LMS HiTorque bench mill (Seig X2.7 equivalent), and got it all set up on its stand and trammed in the table. Then I got the vise indicated in (0 variation on the DTI over the 4" of the reference jaw of the vise) and tried to square up some stock held in the vise. When I removed the stock to check square with a reference square, I saw a *tiny* wedge sliver of light, indicating that the cut was not exactly square. I re-checked the reference face of the vise again, and it was still at 0 across it. So then I put a square in the vise (the same one used to check the cut on the stock), and indicated along the edge of the square (in Y). Over approx 3.75", the indicator showed it was out of square by about 0.0045-0.005".

I contacted LMS, and they had me go through a couple of other steps (I still have to double check the squares are indeed, square), and Chris Woods' excellent customer service reputation was put to the test. I am pleased to say its still very robust!!

In this case, there is no way to shim out the error in Y, and it looks like LMS will be sending me a new saddle. Once I confirm the squares used are indeed square, and double check the Front to Back tram of the table, hopefully the saddle will be shipped out tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 08:27:41 PM by jmcyclist »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: LMS HiTorque Bench Mill (Seig X2.7) Y axis woes
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 10:24:05 PM »
Any progress?

What LMS part number or model number is that? I couldn't see a reference to X2.7 on the LMS site.

Thanks!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 02:27:19 AM »
Its a long way to Australia, but isn't the dial indicator graduated with reference graduation of 0.0005"?.......so are we seeing the level of error 0.00045" to 0.0005"........or just under 1/2 of a thousandths?...and not 5 thousandths [0.005"]

The Seig 2.7 specification in the Sales booklet doesn't specify levels of squareness in X or Y.......does the specification booklet accompanying the machine nominate these values?

During my apprenticeship 50+ years ago  :old:  ....Dial Indicators with the listed accuracy of 0.0005" were termed as Test Indicators...and used only in the Tool Room as part of the Metrology Dept

Derek

« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 03:56:49 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline gunna

• Melbourne, Oz.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 07:14:10 AM »
No Derek, that gauge is 0.0005 per "tick" or about 9 "ticks" (4.5 thou) as shown.
Ian.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 07:15:58 AM »
Derek, look at both photos. Starts at zero and then over the 3.75" movement the reading is somewhere between 0.0045" and 0.0050", That's 5thou rounded up in my book

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 08:00:49 AM »
Apologies to all..... :Doh: ......Spec savers required   :facepalm:...........Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal