Author Topic: 1" Bore x 1" Stroke Vertical I.C.  (Read 22077 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: 1" Bore x 1" Stroke Vertical I.C.
« Reply #240 on: April 13, 2021, 08:19:59 PM »
Today I made an "add on" for the gear cover. It's not so much a safety thing as a noise reducer. Yes, if you were careless enough to stick your finger in there while the engine was running, it would probably give you a very quick manicure. The spur gears which drive the camshaft are noisy little devils. The 0.100" thick piece of aluminum I added to the gear case will fill up the gap and cut down on the noise. I find it almost impossible to add on a piece like this without screwing up the paint on the part I'm adding to, so it was simpler to give it a five minute soak in laquer thinners, wipe off any remaining paint, and then repaint the entire thing.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 03:11:19 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #241 on: April 19, 2021, 05:16:42 PM »
Now we are going to try something a little different. The engine runs well as is, with a Viton o-ring on it, but I'm bored doing nothing, so now we are going to see how it runs with cast iron rings. If you are one of the people who purchased plans for this engine, fear not--the new piston drawing and anything relevant to it will be posted here. This morning I purchased a foot of 1 1/4" diameter grey cast iron from my local vendor for $40.(He didn't have any 1" cast.) That seems like a lot, but then there should be enough material there to build about 10 pistons. I have ordered a set of two compression rings from Debolt  The price was shocking, at $52 Canadian funds, but that is $10 American for each of the rings and $20 American for shipping. The top of the new piston will be about 0.080" taller from the wrist pin, to give the engine a bit more compression. I won't be buying any more cast iron rings in future, but will be making my own. I am not going to start machining the new piston until I have the rings here.---Brian

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #242 on: April 21, 2021, 04:50:26 PM »
Brian,
That should be an interesting experiment.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #243 on: April 21, 2021, 06:33:58 PM »
So, here we are. Two rings from Debolt. What did they cost?-Well, by the time I bought them, paid for the shipping, paid the tax, and paid the difference between USA and Canadian dollar, I spent $50.00. I'm not going to say that it's anyone's "fault". I used to be able to get a complete set of rings for a V8 car for that money.  They don't look different in any way from the rings I've been making at home in the last couple of weeks. If anybody is shaking their head about the toolpost grinder and heat treat furnace I've just bought, think about that for a minute. There is probably less than 50 cents worth of material in either ring. I hope to never ever have to buy rings again. I hope these rings work okay, anything else I have ever bought from Debolt worked just fine. I'm going to make a new piston for this engine to put the Debolt rings on, and Jeez, I hope they work okay.----Brian
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 09:45:48 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #244 on: May 06, 2021, 09:06:49 PM »
Alright---Here we go again!!! This is a brand new cast iron piston, hot off the lathe. The two rings on it are the two I bought from Debolt. The piston is 0.998" diameter and is a good sliding fit into the cylinder. Both rings were placed squarely into the cylinder and the ring gap is 0.004". I made a mask 0.9" diameter to fit inside the compressed rings and 0.950" outer diameter to set squarely into a ring in the cylinder. One ring showed no visible light between the outside diameter of the ring and the piston wall. With the other ring I found it very hard to tell. The only thing I did to the rings was use a points file to break the sharp inner corner where the split was, so it wouldn't scratch the piston when I installed the rings. Both rings measured "about" 1/16" thick. My 1/16" parting off tool is 0.062" wide, but for some strange reason it cuts about .055" wide on a direct plunge cut into cast iron. I kept taking 0.055" deep plunge cuts and kept trying to fit the ring into the groove in the piston. By the time I had it wide enough to let the ring set into the groove all the way to the bottom of the groove, I had cut each ring groove  "about" 0.065" wide. I coated both rings and piston with 30 weight motor oil and had no problems getting the rings onto the piston---although I turn rather blue from holding my breath while I do it. I have a "jig" with a 1" diameter reamed hole in it and a 15 degree tapered lead into it.--The piston with rings on it slides quite nicely into the jig, thanks to the generous lead in taper which compresses the rings for me. If the piston fits into me jig okay, then it is going to fit into my cylinder okay.

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #245 on: May 06, 2021, 09:39:54 PM »
I smell victory near at hand.....  :smokin2:

BC1
Jim

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #246 on: May 09, 2021, 04:21:30 PM »
Today I removed the original piston with a Viton ring, and replaced it with the new piston which has two cast iron rings on it from Debolt. I got really lucky---I thought I was going to have to split the crankcase halves to replace the piston but I didn't have to. With the cylinder removed, there was just enough access to reach up inside the piston and loosen the set screw which held the wrist pin in place. Then it was a simple matter to drift out the wrist pin and put the new piston back in it's place. Getting the rings compressed enough to let the piston slide up into the cylinder wasn't really that bad--mostly fingernail work holding the rings into the grooves deep enough for the piston to slide in. There is one bolt head that is actually inside the combustion chamber ---it's one of the socket head capscrews  which holds the rocker arm tower in place on the cylinder head. While I had the cylinder head off I took that bolt out, mixed up a batch of J.B.Weld and coated the shcs with it, then reinserted the shcs. I did this so that as the bolt was tightened into the thread in the cylinder head, the J.B.Weld would squeeze out of the threads and fill the area between the head of the bolt and the counterbore just to make absolutely certain that no compression was leaking out there. I'll wait 24 hours now and then hopefully run the engine tomorrow. While I had the cylinder off the engine I used a 3 stone brake hone to cross-hatch the bore. This will help retain a little oil for ring lubrication and help the new rings to "bed in" . To be honest, I can turn the engine over easily by hand right now and I'm not feeling any compression, but if I can get the engine to run tomorrow it should develop a lot more compression as the rings "bed in".

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #247 on: May 09, 2021, 06:39:59 PM »
'To be honest, I can turn the engine over easily by hand right now and I'm not feeling any compression, but if I can get the engine to run tomorrow it should develop a lot more compression as the rings "bed in".'

That worries me somewhat  ::) My rings have always had compression from the start. Do you know your bores are actually round? The three stone hone will affect the surface but could produce a trilobar bore. This is way I ended up finishing my bores with an Acrolap. O rings will cope with a non round bore better that metal rings.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #248 on: May 09, 2021, 10:17:22 PM »
I could feel a hint of compression when turning the engine over by hand, but it's a new engine and still a bit stiff, so I didn't know whether I was really feeling some compression or just hopefully imagining it.---So---I pulled out the sparkplug and gave it a couple of squirts of #30 motor oil down the sparkplug hole, then reinstalled the sparkplug. It immediately had a lot of compression. I certainly hope that I can get the engine to fire and run tomorrow. I have the feeling that if it fires and runs that the new rings will "bed in" and seal properly. Roger--I'm quite sure that my cylinder bore is round. I didn't hone it enough to put it out of round.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #249 on: May 10, 2021, 01:53:04 AM »
Roger,
He's only crosshatching it to help the rings bed in.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #250 on: May 10, 2021, 03:48:59 PM »
If anybody is shaking their head about the toolpost grinder and heat treat furnace I've just bought, think about that for a minute.

Never crossed my mind. I don't think anyone gets into this hobby to save money. If they do, they must end up hugely disappointed.

Having the toolpost grinder and the furnace seem to me to be pretty smart moves, and has actually got me thinking  :thinking: about the possibility of a small furnace for soldering and brazing little boilers.

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

You could set up a little brazement and really get it nicely up to temperature all over and get some very nice joints.

Of course then you start thinking about plumbing in forming gas, or making a vacuum furnace and the whole thing gets out of hand very quickly. Like everything.

Sorry. Off topic. Thoroughly enjoying your build, and your tenacity.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #251 on: June 11, 2021, 08:06:22 PM »
This is a video I made today, 11-june-2021 of my vertical i.c. engine 2021. I have been trying to make a set of  cast iron rings for the piston, and as part of that I built a new cylinder and new piston to accept cast iron rings, but ultimately I was not successful. Finally I decided that I should put this engine back together, so I enlarged the top ring groove to .093" wide x 0.058" deep and put a Viton ring on it. This engine can now go up on the shelf with all of my other engines. I am still after cast iron rings that actually work, but will be trying them out on a different engine that is a lot simpler to take apart and access the piston.----Brian
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05WlBP_TUFw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05WlBP_TUFw</a>
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 08:55:03 PM by Brian Rupnow »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal