Author Topic: 1" Bore x 1" Stroke Vertical I.C.  (Read 22075 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
1" Bore x 1" Stroke Vertical I.C.
« on: January 26, 2021, 10:00:24 PM »
Hi Everyone---Hope your new year is going well, so far. I fell on the ice in my driveway just after Christmas and hurt my back. Between the pain from that, and my arthritis (which is exceptionally bad this year), I've had a very quiet January. Finally, today, out of boredom I sat down at my computer and started importing files from previous engines to see what would be involved in another i.c. engine. I have never built an engine before with a vertically split crank-case, so after looking at some really lovely examples on the forums, I've started putting things together on cad. I enjoy a quiet day designing, and this is what has turned up so far. Nothing really new or exciting here, but I like to see an engine coming together. I have no cnc here, just manual machinery, so that's what my engine will be based on, build-wise.---Brian

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: 1" Bore x 1" Stroke Vertical I.C.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 11:25:00 PM »
Oboyoboy! Another Brian build to watch! 

Hope your back recovers well, falls on ice are nasty.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 01:00:35 AM »
Brian,
Sorry to hear that your back is out of joint, it can be painful. Good to see you starting on another engine. looks to be an interesting one.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 05:41:30 PM »
I spent this morning sussing out the cylinder head and the valve train. It looks good to me right now, so I'll go eat some lunch and then see if it still pleases me when I come back this afternoon.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 08:24:42 PM »
Most of the work today was centered around the cylinder head. The carb shown is a Traxxas 4033, and the valves are 1/8" stem diameter with a 3/8" head. The exhaust is identical to what I used on the vertical hit and miss engine last year, and I'm thinking I may pack it with steel wool to see what effect that has on the sound.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 09:08:55 PM »
This engine will have the timing gears on the outside of the case. They will get their own polished brass??? cover. I haven't mounted the ignition points yet, but will probably set them up to be between the crankcase and the flywheel.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 09:43:40 PM »
Nice proportions. Ever do any forming with brass or copper sheet? Wood form to hammer (plastic hammer) it over, frequently annealed, can make a really nice shape. Just a thought!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 09:47:50 PM »
That's enough silliness for one day. Tomorrow I'll figure out a mounting plate for the ignition points and a gas tank.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 09:49:46 PM »
Chris--I have done some hammer forming of steel and aluminum when making panels and trunk skins for hot-rods, but haven't done any on miniature engines. For some reason, thirties era coupes and roadsters are always missing their trunk lids.--And, the trunk lids are a compound shape. They not only have a very noticeable curve when viewed from the side, but they also have a curve in the other direction as well. I've made a few trunk frames  from 1" square tubing which was bent to a plywood pattern on roller jigs, welded together, gusseted and then skinned with 20 ga. steel which was hammer formed all around the edges.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 09:57:01 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 04:09:36 PM »
So, here we have it at 99% designed. An interesting little engine, with maybe a few shiny brass (gold??) parts just to set off the iron and aluminum cylinder and crank case.  The crankshaft and the camshaft ride on sealed ball bearings, and the cams are inside the crankcase to guarantee splash oiling from the wet sump. For a little bit of added "pretty", I've designed a rather swoopy gas tank support.---After designing and building about a dozen of this type of engine, everything begins to look the same. I will run a Viton piston ring on this engine. Any comments are welcome.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 04:15:45 PM »
In this view of the engine, I have hidden the flywheel so you can see the plate which the ignition points are attached to. That plate has a split in it and rotates on a boss attached to the crank case. By unscrewing the blue handle the plate can be turned clockwise or counterclockwise, giving the ability to dynamically advance or retard the ignition while the engine is running. the drawing shows overall sizes.

Offline mnay

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 07:17:05 PM »
Brian,
Looks like another fun build.  I will be following along.
thanks for taking the time to include us.
Mike in Salt Lake

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 07:30:24 PM »
Glad to have you along for the ride Mike.----Brian

Offline Mike Bondarczuk

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 09:27:38 PM »
Hi Brian,

I thought that your last two builds shown on here were exciting but this one looks to be the best so far and I will be watching very closely.

Mike
"Everything I can't find is in a totally secure place"

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2021, 11:01:33 PM »
So, there we have it. The design is essentially finished. My computer tells me that there are a total of 74 individual components, not counting fasteners. The two crank-case halves are designed to be cut from 3" x 1" aluminum flat bar. The base can be cut from a piece of 2" x 1" aluminum flat bar. I haven't included the poppet valve which screws into the crankcase to keep the crank-case in a semi vacuum condition (to avoid oil leaks around the bearings), because I'm not really sure that I need it. If I find out "after the fact" that I do need it, it can always be added later. The oil filler tube and cap have been added, as well as a drain plug in the very bottom. An "oil level check" hole and plug have been added to the side of the crankcase.  You can see it just to the left of the outer gear case. You take out the plug and add oil in the filler tube until it starts to run out that hole. That hole is positioned so that when oil starts to run out of it, you know the oil level is correct. All of the tapped holes and clearance holes for fasteners have been added. The only thing I haven't totally decided on is how to attach the outer gear case to the crank case. If I make it from brass $$$, I can silver solder a couple of mounting tabs to it. If I cheap out and make it from aluminum, then it becomes a different story because I can't weld aluminum.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal