Author Topic: needed to clear a space!!!  (Read 5457 times)

Offline cnr6400

Re: needed to clear a space!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2021, 01:30:12 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: GOOD NEWS!
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online tghs

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2021, 07:26:54 PM »
they gave us 3 extra days off to use by the end of Feb. so I spent one today setting up the lathe.. installed the MacPod tach kit,, placement without adding a box was a bit fiddley.. most of the switches had to removed, one nut needed to be glued in place for reassembly.. it's all in place and working well..
what the @#&% over

Online tghs

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2021, 01:57:50 PM »
used the lathe to adjust the the hand-wheel bolt shoulders to reduce rattle.. so it's officially in operation,, I'm pretty stoked about the set-up of this little corner of my little shop..time to get back on the boats.. 4 models in the works..
30ft steam cutter 1/6th scale
RAF whaleback HSL 1/16th scale
USS Vesuvius (dynamite cruiser) 1/48th scale
USS Texas BB1 1893 1/96th scale..
I have made a promise to my self not to start anymore boats until these get finished...
what the @#&% over

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2021, 05:22:47 PM »
I'm not a boat modeler but those look pretty amazing to me  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

What are you doing in the last picture?
Best regards

Roger

Online tghs

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2021, 06:58:04 PM »
the hull is sitting on a scale, after zeroing I filled it with water to the models waterline,, quickly giving a good figure of the total displacement.. I'll keep track of the models weight during the build,, trying to stay around 75-80% of the displacement weight,, leaving a little room for final balasting..  much simpler and faster than filling a test tank and adding weights to the hull.. the USS Texas BB1 was just calling me to model it.. she looks like the result of the mating of a snapping turtle and a warthog!! two huge offset turrets with single 12" guns..
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 07:14:25 PM by tghs »
what the @#&% over

Online tghs

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2021, 04:59:43 PM »
took apart the compound slide this morning, with a little bit of work reduced any backlash to near zero. will be getting the brass gibs when they are back in stock.. for now the tweaks are done..  chucked up scrap plastic and played for a bit.. slim now believes he should have president's day off..
what the @#&% over

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2021, 05:15:10 PM »
I didn't think Slim had the 'guts' to ask for time off!   :lolb:

Always exciting to get a major new tool in the shop, do you know what its first official part to make will be?

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2021, 05:25:32 PM »
Great looking ship models!

Speaking about whaleback style ships, has anyone built a model of the great lakes whaleback grain/coal carriers? hey were common from 1890's to 1920's I believe. There is a full size one preserved at Duluth Mn as I understand it. Always been interested in them. I think the theory was that in heavy weather on the great lakes they would shed water coming over the decks to reduce risk of capsizing. Several did wreck anyway though, so not a perfect theory I guess. The power of great lakes weather should not be underestimated, especially on Superior.

Online tghs

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2021, 05:31:44 PM »
hopefully some pump parts today,, yes I have seen several great lakes whaleback freighter models,, kind of like building a civil war monitor, almost sunk to start with..
what the @#&% over

Online tghs

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2021, 08:48:29 PM »
official,, chips on the new lathe :cartwheel:
what the @#&% over

Online tghs

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2021, 05:59:35 PM »
I found that the compound slide was very stiff to work, took it all apart again and checked the movement of each part as it went back together, found that the leadscrew retaining block(were I worked to remove backlash) was the culprit and careful mounting it up solved the problem (there is some play in the mounting screw holes) some more goodies arrived today,a MT3 collet set for the main spindle (the draw bolt just has a flat washer, I'll turn a stepped spacer that will work better),, bolts so the 4" 4jaw I had could be used, and just because I believe things fail just when you need them most a belt for the lathe and one for the mill to put in the spares box..
what the @#&% over

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2021, 06:01:51 PM »
Sounds like some good tuning. And Slim looks great with the bandolier, he needs a pirate hat!  Aaarrr!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2021, 06:37:18 PM »
I think Slim may have had Jack Daniels or Johnny Walker in mind when he said he wanted a belt...... but if the bandolier fits...... :Lol:

Great news on making first chips. :cheers:

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2021, 12:11:16 AM »
Yeah but can Slim hold his liquor?
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2021, 01:16:51 AM »
It sure doesn't appear as if he can, physically, now that you mention it Art. Talk about runout - shafts in the shop got nuthin' on Slim!  :Lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal