Supporting > Vehicles & Models

M5 Stuart Light Tank

<< < (9/9)

Vixen:
I've now got about as far as I can go with the development of my M5 Stuart. I have learned a great deal about the dynamics of tracked vehicle steering. Gained useful experience regarding the operation of clutch steering systems. Learned about the performance and limitations of model engine carburetors. I am now about ready for the next step, to embark on a slightly larger, all metal, model tank. Hopefully, with many improvements as a result of the lessons learnt from the Stuart

I also learned it was not necessary to use a model radial engine to replicate the full size original. Once the engine is covered up, in that big hump at the back of the tank, it is out of sight. Few casual observers can tell there is a radial engine installed, and even fewer know what a radial engine is.       They ask " Is it electric and has it got a sound system?" :facepalm: :facepalm:

The Start tank served me well, taught a lot and has given my immense pleasure and fun, but the cracks are beginning to show (literally). The plastic body shell has stress cracks radiating from all the attachment points, it's literally falling apart. (bit like me, in a way  :old: )

Before the Stuart goes into retirement, I have one more development task for it. I have heard many good reports about the 32 cc single cylinder Honda GX32 fourstroke industrial engine. It is said to be a highly reliable, well mannered little engine which should make an ideal power source for the next all-metal tank. The fuel tank hanging off the back was only a temporary arrangement

The Honda GX32 is a clean running, low revving fourstroke with pumped oil lubrication from a wet sump. It burns straight petrol (gasoline) with no added oil. It sounds sweet, not the high revving buzz of a two stroke chain saw engineand none of the evil smelling blue smoke. The engine comes equipped with a built in exhaust silencer (muffler?), a pull starter, self contained magneto ignition, Built in centrifugal clutch. perhaps the most important feature is the pumped, variable jet barrel carburetor, which gives an excellent throttle response, all the way from tick-over to full power, without the slightest hesitation.

The Honda engine is versatile, it can be installed in an upright position, as you can see here in the Stuart model, or it can be laid on side, horizontally, which will make for a much lower installed height.

This last photo shows the Stuart recon tank in it's final stage of development, running sweetly on Honda power. The Stuart served me well and paved the way towards the next tank, by demonstrating the suitability of the little Honda engine in a real tracked vehicle.

Stay Tuned, there's more to follow

Mike

Admiral_dk:
I remember Honda claim that they really throw most of their immensely big (in MC Racing they are compared to NASA) R&D department into the development of this engine  :o  simply to ensure that it's virtually completely indestructible.
The reason - they use it in a huge amount of power tools they make and provide many years of warranty on + they knew that most of the customers would not treat these engines well ....

First time I see it use in a model, but it makes sense  :ThumbsUp:

Vixen:
The M5 Stuart light tank thread has reached the end. The petrol Powered Panzer saga now continues with the StuG 111 journey at

https://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,10166.msg231371/topicseen.html#new

Stay safe and enjoy

Mike   :atcomputer:

Dave Otto:
Thanks Mike, I have enjoyed this.  :ThumbsUp:

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version