Author Topic: Help me finding the timing!!  (Read 3417 times)

Offline glorfindel

Help me finding the timing!!
« on: January 15, 2021, 05:21:40 PM »
Hi guys, i'm working on a 120cc flat 4 engine from Modelltechnik Jung plan.

Maybe it's a brain fart, but i cant figure out the timing from the plan.

I drew the cam, so it give me about 135 deg cam duration, The cams are 114° apart, about 42° overlapp.

From that drawing, what's the timing of the intake before TDC???

I dont mind putting my own cam design and timing, but i want to know what the designer did.

Thx.

Envoyé de mon SM-N975W en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Help me finding the timing!!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 05:29:58 PM »
To my simple thinking if the cams are symmetrical with 42° of overlap the inlet cam should start to open 21° BTDC. This is complicated by valve clearances  :headscratch:  If I was building the engine I would set the cam so that inlet and exhaust were equally open at TDC with the same valve clearances.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 08:15:50 PM »
I don't quite get it - should be simple to only use two lobes / cams per two opposing cylinders.
As the two are 180 degrees apart -> the two cylinders are firing 360 degrees apart ....

OK in a four this gives a firing order of 1 3 2 4 or 1 4 2 3 and it can be debated if this is the optimum for vibrations - old Beetles where 1 4 3 2 and they ran nicely.

So perhaps that is the reason why .... my idea works a lot better with a flat twin (BMW) or six (Porche) ....

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 11:50:53 AM »
I had a lot better look just now - with a pencil and paper - and it really makes no sense ....

I assume (hopefully not Ass-U-Me) that it follows the Classic Beetle layout, with the inlets in the centre off the head and an exhaust at each end of it. In that case it's a Big Bang engine, where cylinder 1 and 4 fires simultaneously and likewise cylinder 2 and 3 ....  :headscratch:

To me it looks like the camshaft 'needs to be cut in the middle' and the having the one half turned 180 degrees and put back together ....

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 01:43:19 PM »
Just FYI, in most inline 4 cyl engines I have owned and worked on, many different makes and models, made in several countries, firing order is 1342 not 1324. There may be engines that use 1324 but I have not come across one as yet.  :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline glorfindel

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 04:11:27 PM »
I had a lot better look just now - with a pencil and paper - and it really makes no sense ....

I assume (hopefully not Ass-U-Me) that it follows the Classic Beetle layout, with the inlets in the centre off the head and an exhaust at each end of it. In that case it's a Big Bang engine, where cylinder 1 and 4 fires simultaneously and likewise cylinder 2 and 3 ....  :headscratch:

To me it looks like the camshaft 'needs to be cut in the middle' and the having the one half turned 180 degrees and put back together ....
There is a couple of videos on youtube of that engine running.

I emailed him...Still waiting for a reply...

It would have been so much easier if he had put a simple timing diagram....

Or i'll put the same cam desing/timing i got on my Nemmett based engine...

Offline petertha

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 05:29:08 PM »
Coincidentally I just got delivery of the same plans. I'll wait to hear of any communication response you can pass along.When I've emailed him a few times in the past, seems like eventually he does get to them.

Is it more the cam phasing you are wondering about or the individual timing parameters? I built myself a spreadsheet so I could digest this information (pertains to a glow radial) but eventually I could/will evaluate for this engine. I suspect, but don't know for sure, he sticks to similar recipe among his various engines.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 06:25:25 PM »
A Flat Four is not the same as a Straight Four ...!

I agree on the firing order on a straight four - but the original question was for a flat four ....
This time I actually searched the page and found this :
https://www.cad-modelltechnik-jung.de/construction-plans-model-engines.html

One of the last drawings show the powertrain on this unik engine -> throwing ALL my assumptions down the drain  :-[
Not only are the inlet and exhaust positions not where I thought on the rear two cylinders - but the crank throws are with a single 'pin / big end' -> making the pistons go the same way - instead of opposite directions ....

I have never seen a full size engine with this layout - but it simplifies the build + make it more compact.

I conclude that the camshaft is shown (in the drawing) with the pistons at either TDC or BDC. I will look at the last post before this to (hopefully) verify.

Offline CHP

• cheers
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 08:58:45 PM »
Just FYI, in most inline 4 cyl engines I have owned and worked on, many different makes and models, made in several countries, firing order is 1342 not 1324. There may be engines that use 1324 but I have not come across one as yet.  :cheers:
1342 CW engine 1432 CCW engine
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 09:42:42 PM by CHP »
12x36 lathe,Seig7x10 lathe, Taig lathe
9x29 Mill, Emco 55 CNC mill.......

Offline glorfindel

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 04:29:50 PM »
A Flat Four is not the same as a Straight Four ...!

I agree on the firing order on a straight four - but the original question was for a flat four ....
This time I actually searched the page and found this :
https://www.cad-modelltechnik-jung.de/construction-plans-model-engines.html

One of the last drawings show the powertrain on this unik engine -> throwing ALL my assumptions down the drain  :-[
Not only are the inlet and exhaust positions not where I thought on the rear two cylinders - but the crank throws are with a single 'pin / big end' -> making the pistons go the same way - instead of opposite directions ....

I have never seen a full size engine with this layout - but it simplifies the build + make it more compact.

I conclude that the camshaft is shown (in the drawing) with the pistons at either TDC or BDC. I will look at the last post before this to (hopefully) verify.
Yes  it's a flat, v 180 engine, not a boxer engine.

Ferrari (flat 12)  and Porshe (flat 12) used that config.

Offline glorfindel

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 05:18:48 PM »
3d model in progress. I'm doing it i  inchs so the 35mm (1.378) bore is now 1.375 "

All screws will be imperial, cam shaft is drill rod 6mm.

So far, i redesigned the back plate, not sure about the pushrod system, i like how i did my Edwards radial pushrods system, i'll probably copy that.

Offline glorfindel

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 05:21:28 PM »
Coincidentally I just got delivery of the same plans. I'll wait to hear of any communication response you can pass along.When I've emailed him a few times in the past, seems like eventually he does get to them.

Is it more the cam phasing you are wondering about or the individual timing parameters? I built myself a spreadsheet so I could digest this information (pertains to a glow radial) but eventually I could/will evaluate for this engine. I suspect, but don't know for sure, he sticks to similar recipe among his various engines.
Same engine? Nice!!

I'll keep posting updates here.

Offline petertha

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 05:35:32 PM »
I'll be watching along glorfindel. I'm just starting the same cad exercise myself.... and not trying to get too distracted from my radial build.

- what is your rationale for changing the bore slightly from nominal metric to nominal imperial units by the little amount? Aren't the rings going to be sized based on resultant bore whatever it is (Trimble method), or do you have some other method in mind?

- what features of the Edwards pushrod system are different or better than this design in your opinion?

- not sure if you saw my inquiry post here on the forum about the Hirth coupling, but just wondering if you plan to adopt that feature on the crankshaft or have something else in mind.

Offline glorfindel

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 05:54:20 PM »

I'll be watching along glorfindel. I'm just starting the same cad exercise myself.... and not trying to get too distracted from my radial build.

- what is your rationale for changing the bore slightly from nominal metric to nominal imperial units by the little amount? Aren't the rings going to be sized based on resultant bore whatever it is (Trimble method), or do you have some other method in mind?

- what features of the Edwards pushrod system are different or better than this design in your opinion?

- not sure if you saw my inquiry post here on the forum about the Hirth coupling, but just wondering if you plan to adopt that feature on the crankshaft or have something else in mind.

I already have a 1-3/8 reamer ;-). I dont like how he make the rings. He seems to make an over sized ring... I will use my own piston design, with 2  0.050" square rings, and my own conrod design with bronzeBushing instead of a needle bearing.

I'm not fixed on the pushrod system yet...I will work on it today and post some updates.

Offline glorfindel

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 05:59:46 PM »
I still.dont know what i will do with the crank too.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal