Author Topic: Potty Popcorn Engine  (Read 1097 times)

Offline CookieCrunch

Potty Popcorn Engine
« on: February 09, 2021, 11:58:44 AM »
First I would like to thank Stew (PottyEngineering) for the plans.  As a relative beginner to hobby I was looking for something that was not too complicated and had a potential for a bit of bling.  This seems like a perfect project.

As soon as I got the plans it was into the junk box to see what bar stock could be put to immediate use.  I started on the cylinder ends and the crosshead guide.  The end of the guide is 3mm overlength at the moment as the plans suggest adjust on fit so I've allowed some wriggle room.  The crosshead still needs finishing and the cylinder end still needs tapping but I don't have a 1/4 x 32 ME tap yet (not sure why because I have a die).  At least it's started so I'll have no excuse for not continuing.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Potty Popcorn Engine
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 01:50:11 PM »
Looks like a nice start!

Dave

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 05:57:46 PM »
 :popcorn: That's a fine start on what will be a fun build. All of Stew's designs are appealing to the eye and are just challenging enough to keep one interested. I like the models with a bit of visual content as opposed to the chunkier standard bar stock engines. Keep going, you will get there.  :DrinkPint:

BC1
Jim

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 07:35:07 AM »
Great job I hope you enjoy the build her's a video of the engine

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeJjQCjNys4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeJjQCjNys4</a>

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline CookieCrunch

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 10:26:43 AM »
Thanks guys.  I really like the bright red finish on that, it suits the engine well. Nice engine all round Stew.

I started to drift off-script a bit and before cleaning up the bearing housing I toyed with the idea of making the guide bar support curved to match the profile of the guide bar.  The plans show this as a flat surface.  The only bit that might bother me with my idea is the blending into the natural curve on the bearing housing as it overlaps very slightly, a flat profile gives a definite edge.  I might play a little more and see if a combination of the two ideas might work.

Offline Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 12:05:46 PM »
Good job on the crosshead guide, to my mind the trickiest bit of the engine.
I enjoyed mine, as you say a good subject for a bit of bling.

Jim

The person who never made a mistake never made anything.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal