Author Topic: Sweet Pea build  (Read 21311 times)

Offline Barneydog

• Just outside Leicester, United KIngdom
Re: Sweet Pea build
« Reply #165 on: August 13, 2021, 09:39:00 AM »
Hi Guys,

To prepare for running on air I needed to make a couple of feed pipes. The steam pipes on this loco come out the smokebox side and down to the face next to the chest cover. The hole was drilled 8mm when I made the chests.

I turned and drilled a quick jig to make the flanges.

The 8mm stub locates the chest hole on one end and the flange plate on the other to make sure all holes line up. I turned a couple of brass flanges and drilled to fit. The chest was also drilled using the jig.

The flanges were quickly soldered onto a couple of lengths of 8mm copper tube.

The chests were cleaned and oiled with steam oil. The covers had a blanking plug fitted and were then bolted down with their gaskets. The plugs are to allow the chests to be flooded with steam oil when in storage.

Using some airline fittings 8mm tube is fitted for the air test. I have fitted an air separator in the airline to remove as much moisture as possible. I have a small pressure and flow control in the line so was able to turn it on gently. At 30 pounds it started to move very easily.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri9be9N4o70" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri9be9N4o70</a>
Hopefully the above short video is visible. I was amazed when it started first go. Forward is much better than reverse but that can be fixed later when on steam.
Sweet Pea is now off the bench while I fix my Simplex for testing having been delayed by Covid. Next job will be the boiler on Sweet Pea. Hopefully fairly soon as I have all the bits waiting.

We are hoping to go the the Sweet Pea rally at Hereford next Saturday for the first outing of the pandemic. We may see you there.

Cheers

Julian.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #166 on: August 13, 2021, 01:35:00 PM »
I hope your parents are OK.

Great to see it run or more correct - the engine running .... you must be happy with that  :cheers:

Per

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2021, 08:18:15 PM »
Very cool to see it running, Julian!   :popcorn: :popcorn:
Well done!
Kim

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #168 on: August 13, 2021, 08:42:50 PM »
Nice  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Cheers

Rich

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #169 on: August 13, 2021, 09:59:40 PM »
Superb - really nice!  :pinkelephant:  :whoohoo:

Always good to get a good running result.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Barneydog

• Just outside Leicester, United KIngdom
« Reply #170 on: March 18, 2022, 06:41:42 PM »
Hi Guys,
Its been a while since I have posted on here as I have not done anything to the build yet. We did take the running frame to the Sweet Pea Rally last year and displayed it for the day.
Since then I have been doing some experimental developement ready for the Boiler. I have built a new type of Regulator to fit the standard mounting points on the Pea boiler and some new globe valves. I need to test them under steam so have built a vertical boiler for my workshop to test these and other bits. It has passed its hydraulic test and will hopefully have its complete steam test next week. The plan is then to test these bits I have built and then to move on with the boiler for Sweet Pea hopefully in. the next few weeks. My hope is to complete the whole loco so it can run at this years Sweet Pea Rally.

Cheers
Julian

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #171 on: March 18, 2022, 09:12:46 PM »
Any pic's of this "test" boiler you built? Sounds interesting.  :stickpoke:

John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal