Supporting > Vehicles & Models

Sweet Pea build

<< < (32/35) > >>

Barneydog:
Hi Guys,

I am afraid that there will be a slight lull in my activities on this loco. This is due to two reasons:-

One.   I have been to the hospital today as I have increasing arthritis in my thumb joins which is affecting my dexterity. The surgeon graciously inflicted a considerable amount of pain injecting steroid into the joint...not around it into it. Anyone who has had this will know what I mean. I am restricted to very light duties for a couple of weeks or so. I think a bottle of beer is probably the heaviest I am allowed but if this proves too onerous I will scale it down to drams of scotch. We will see!! I have three operations to look forward to in the coming year or so to continue to rectify these problems. Nothing progressed on Sweet Pea last week as I reacted to my second covid. Just one of those things when everything goes wrong at the same time!!

Two. Since I last posted I have mounted the cylinders and fitted the cross-heads with all the rods now complete. This has tightened everything up too much so I need to strip it all and check everything and fettle or realign whatever is needed. Hopefully this will be light work so may do a bit when I can. I will report back once it is completed.

Three. There was no way the rings were fitting so I have to alter them to reduce their size and thickness. I have some cast left over that was turned to size so I will at some point also make some spares. Also I have bought some high temp graphite loaded PTFE so I may attempt piston rings from that. Again as this progresses I will continue to take plenty pics and report back.

Cheers

Julian

crueby:
Best of luck with the recovery and take your time, we can wait!  Work your way up from a half glass of beer to the full bottle if needed!

:cheers:

RReid:
You could drink your beer through a straw, but only if no one is looking...

Kim:
Hi Julian,
Sorry to hear about your trials... Hopefull, if you take the recovery slow and easy, all will get back to normal soon!

Kim

Roger B:
Wishing you a quick recovery  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:

Those piston rings look very thick to me to be fitted over the piston. Were cast iron rings in the original design or were the grooves designed for graphite string packing?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version