Author Topic: What a difference a year makes  (Read 2308 times)

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
What a difference a year makes
« on: January 14, 2021, 06:46:51 PM »
What a difference a year makes.

On this day, last year, we had a record maximum of 1322 online.

Today, one year later, we only manage a maximum of 85 and half of those are guest visitors.
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: What a difference a year makes
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 06:55:59 PM »
I don't recall it being that much more active this time last year, was that when there was a lot of spam that the Mods were dealing with?

On ME Forum activity has gone up a lot since Covid, even outdoing activity on the largest forum for out type of interest at times  which is Home Shop Machinist both of which make this site activity look non existant.

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 07:33:52 PM »
Yep !  I've been sorely disappointed in the "non-activity" of the 4 or 5 forums I read. I thought there would be an increase if anything. Even if only in the "off topic" stuff. But it looks like  everyone has just given up and is vegetating or hibernating.  In my case I sort of lost access to
the machining equipment. ( My machines were the metal shop of a high school and they just closed the place )  My other shop is wood shop
in my garage and it's been too darn cold to do anything there.  So I try to get my "fix" from the forums and it's not there. So it must be a
common failing.  Maybe, JUST MAYBE, it will improve a bit over the next   several months.  (fingers crossed)
   ...lew...

Offline Steve17

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 08:55:13 PM »
I changed job in September 2019 and to be honest it's so computer based now the best I can manage is read the latest posts most days. This on line working is sure knocking the stuffing out of me.

Steve.

Offline pieterb

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 08:57:47 PM »
I will try to help the average to go up in the future  :cartwheel: :cartwheel: :cartwheel:

Offline mcostello

• Lancaster, Ohio
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 11:49:23 PM »
I'll do My part........ what controversial topics do We want to talk about? :popcorn:

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 12:02:05 AM »
During last summer, The MEM forum ran a virtual model engine show, which was a great success. Many new and exiting model engines were presented, many of which had never been presented on the MEM forum before.

Most of us find ourselves confined to barracks and forced to spend long hours at home these days. So why not use this opportunity to tell each other more about your individual engines and mechanical masterpieces you have created.

Your contributions do not need to be part by part, hole by hole, detailed build log, I am sure a general description with lots of photos would be welcomed by our MEM members. I will make a start with a series of posts about my adventures with 1/6 scale  model tanks.

Why not join in and contribute something interesting?

Stay safe

Mike

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 12:27:00 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 01:31:33 AM »
I enjoy the site a lot, like the people and the content, but it is rather quiet.  If we're taking a straw pole....my vote is for 1/10 the number of forum areas.  One main forum is the best part HSM.  Who has time to go through 20 forums?  I never do.  And the idea of categorizing isn't that important anymore with everything searchable.  With one forum and constant new postings to it, I think give the place more energy, creates a bit more of a buzz.  I know you can click on "show new" but its not the same

all just imo, and thanks to the organizers for all they do. :) 

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 07:07:39 AM »
I just click " show unread posts since last visit" and then it's easy to run up or down the list and click anything you are interested in. A lot easier than looking through all the different sections.

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 08:32:41 AM »
I just click " show unread posts since last visit" and then it's easy to run up or down the list and click anything you are interested in. A lot easier than looking through all the different sections.

Jason.

Where did you find the "show unread posts since last visit" button?

Do you mean the "recent posts" button on the left? Or have I never spotted it?

Mike

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 08:36:54 AM »
Just under the MEM engine logo below where it says Hello Vixen

If you can't see that then go top right and at the end of Model Engine Maker title is a "^" hit that and you will then get the post since last option on the screen
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 08:40:51 AM by Jasonb »

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 08:47:23 AM »
Just under the MEM engine logo below where it says Hello Vixen

If you can't see that then go top right and at the end of Model Engine Maker title is a "^" hit that and you will then get the post since last option on the screen

Well I never spotted them before. Hidden in plain view all the time  :killcomputer:

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2021, 10:36:12 AM »
I always start with the recent posts box, but it only seems to have 10 entries.  On busy days that is not enough, even though I read them every day.  I don’t know what would be involved, but there is plenty of white space lower in the page if the recent posts box could be increased to at least 20 it would be great.

But for people who can’t get to the forum every day, the unread posts button is great.  I don’t know the maximum number it will show.

I have never noticed the “^”, a useful shortcut, and I think a little easier to hit that the unread posts button which is a bit close to other links for my clumsy fingers on the iPad.

Thanks for pointing it out, Jason.

But I also like the multitude of boards.  It keeps things sorted for just casual browsing of older posts to catch up with what happened before I joined, and also to look for threads which may be helpful for a particular engine or other project, as the search, while pretty good, is a bit literal.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2021, 05:28:33 AM »
I have never noticed the “^”, a useful shortcut, and I think a little easier to hit that the unread posts button which is a bit close to other links for my clumsy fingers on the iPad.

Be careful with that little "^" symbol!  That little carrot "^" thing isn't a shortcut - it changes the way the top of the forum home page looks.  If you click it, it will collapse everything between the MEM logo and the "Home" row menu. (Clicking it again will bring it all back though, if you know to click it!)  I've accidentally done that before and then couldn't find the 'Show unread posts..." link, which is what I ALWAYS use to read the forum.  I can usually only check once or twice a day and as you said, the 10 posts on the side are just not enough to keep me up to date.  I always read posts through the "Show unread posts since last visit" page.

As to how many posts that will show you?  A lot.  It shows about 20 posts on a page (I think) and on busy days I can have one & half pages of posts that I'm behind on.  If I've been out for a few days, it can be multiple pages.  And what's interesting, it will take you to the latest post on a thread that you haven't read.  So if its a busy thread, it may look like one entry, but you'll have many posts on read on that thread to get to the end.

I find that them most convenient way to keep up on all the activity on the forum.

Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal