Author Topic: garret wade vise and anvil set..  (Read 2923 times)

Online tghs

garret wade vise and anvil set..
« on: January 13, 2021, 01:27:38 PM »
the vise and anvil set arrived,, "someone" on the site has put this vise through several years of use.. the vise looks very well made, it is a model builders vise, much more robust than other clamp on vises I have, (the mounting holes to bolt it down are a plus,, arrived coated in lube but looks to have been cleaned well before,, I was looking at some other small name brand vises,, reviews of "had to take apart and clean away the grit" was common,, the anvil is actually a little bigger than I expected. for what an anvil is it looks like a nicely finished casting that show work well as intended,, they did have some nice small boxes on sale.. All in all I'm very happy with this purchase so far..
what the @#&% over

Online tghs

Re: garret wade vise and anvil set..
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 05:40:56 PM »
after a bit more looking and thinking about bolting the vise in place noticed that the bottom surface was high in the middle,, clamping to a bench edge would have been ok,, but bolting in place could have caused problems,, set up the base in the mill and corrected this,, now with a nice level bottom it sits perfect and can get bolted down,, I should have turned on the DRO and looked at how much was removed..
what the @#&% over

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 10:41:51 PM »
I have had one of those anvils for years and it’s cheap cast iron and mares very easy. It is suppose to have a harden surface but it doesn’t, at least not mine.

Regards Don

Online tghs

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 04:46:20 PM »
gave it a few ballpeen wacks, not to hard,, but it was mainly bought for brass and copper sheet work.. I may smooth out the horn to make it a better surface,, I do have a hard 1"x 6" x 4" plate if some real abuse is required :hammerbash:
what the @#&% over

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal