Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Cotton

Hello
« on: January 10, 2021, 10:44:22 PM »
Hello All

Thought I'd introduce myself.

Joined in the hope of tapping into greater knowledge.  I've always had/restored old motorbikes which meant having a lathe was extremely useful, but generally limited to making bushes/spacers etc.  I sold the bikes a few years ago and am now the owner of a 1935 Austin 10 and a 1968 Morris Minor.  Making small engines had always been in the back of my mind and when I retired I made a "Polly" steam engine which worked well though it is not the prettiest example I've seen.  It looks fairly crudely made (it is fairly crudely made!).  I then made a Jan Ridders flame eater which looks pretty and nearly (but not quite) works despite a lot of effort.  I thought I would have a go at a kit of parts, so I dropped a hint to Father Christmas and have a Stuart 10v kit.  I am making this on an ML7 and have a drill press but no milling machine.  I got the book from Stuarts, have looked at Harold Hall's series and some Youtube videos notably from Andrew Whale and Tinker John.  I'll trawl through this forum as well.  Don't want to tempt fate but so far it's going well.  I realise it's at the simple end of model making but satisfying for all that.  I want to run it on steam eventually so will be asking boilermaking advice at some point.  The "Polly" boiler was fairly straightforward to make but I think something with a bit more output will be on the cards.

Sorry to be so long-winded

Regards

Ian

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 11:24:34 PM »
Hello & welcome Ian!
 A lot of motorheads here to encourage you & help answer any questions. A really great bunch of folks here. A lot of us have (of have had) old motorcycles, hot rods, planes, & mechanical distractions..

John

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 01:17:53 AM »
Hi Ian

Welcome to MEM!

Dave

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 02:31:18 AM »
hi from Australia. When you need to ask for help or assistance it would be good if you put a general area, UK, US, EU and so forth to make it easier to help out with suppliers etc. but would hazard a guess and say UK due to the vehicles you're working on.
Enjoy yourself here and don't get lost in the rabbit warren we have here.
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 05:38:46 AM »
Hi Ian,
Welcome to the forum!
Kim

Offline pieterb

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 06:06:35 AM »
Hello Ian,

welcome from an other old motorcycle fan...

Pieter

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 06:49:04 AM »
Hi Ian

Welcome from another lifelong motorbike restorer and ex owner of Austin 7 Special, but now have a 1969 Morris Traveller, what neck of the woods are you from ?

Phil

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 06:56:30 AM »
Hi Ian, Welcome to the forum. It’s a great place to expand the enjoyment of your hobby.

Many knowledgeable, friendly and helpful people here.

We all look forward to seeing your progress with that engine.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Cotton

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 10:53:27 AM »
Thanks for the welcomes.  I'm in Buckingham in the UK. 

Phil, My Morris is a traveller as well.

Ian

Daggers

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 12:08:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum from a petrol head and small engine builder.  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Trevorc

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 07:40:11 PM »
Hello Ian, welcome to the forum. My Dad had an Austin 10 of about 1935 vintage, when bought in 1950s he paid £53 for it.
I remember it had a repaired cracked cylinder block due to earlier frost damage and a very distinct noise when starting such that one day we came across a previous owner who recognised the starting sound.
I also remember my Dad trying to improve the cable brakes by using a clamp device to effectively shorten the cable. Another memory was him trying to improve the tread on the tyres by cutting new grooves with a red hot fire poker.
Can you post a photo of the A10?
Trevorc

Offline Cotton

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 02:09:53 PM »
Pictures of Austin 10 as requested (with Minor 1000 lurking in background of one).  Also photo of set up of 10v sole plate on lathe for milling bearing housings.  Oh for a milling machine! 

The clamp device on brake cables to shorten them was for when the cable had stretched so much there was no adjustment left.  People knock the cable brakes but properly set up they are fine.  I can lock all 4 wheels (with a hard push on the pedal!).  What more would anyone want? 

Regards

Ian

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 03:12:51 PM »
Hi Ian, we've all been made to do our time on the vertical slide!, it's a sort of dreadful penance that you have to submit to before you are allowed a milling machine.  I think that V slides might have been invented as the fore runner to the Rubik cube...  I hauled mine out a while back just out of nostalgia and used it for a simple job, but it didn't make me feel like I wanted to return to memory lane very often!   Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal