Author Topic: Sherline motor died  (Read 1649 times)

Offline Steve Crow

Sherline motor died
« on: January 10, 2021, 05:30:09 PM »
Today, halfway through a camshaft, my lathe motor stopped working.

No noise, no smell, no smoke, no drama. I stopped to take a measurement and it wouldn't restart.

At first I though it might be the thermal protection kicking in but it's the same now it's cool. I've checked the fuse on the plug.

I have very little knowledge of  all things electrical.

Before I attempt to dismantle things and look for something wrong, has anyone any experience of these things or advice they could share?

Many thanks

Steve

Offline cnr6400

Re: Sherline motor died
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 06:28:48 PM »
Just a thought, and you probably already checked, but before tearing anything down be sure the supply circuit is live and the breaker isn't tripped.  If you plug in a drill or angle grinder to the circuit and it works, then the sherline motor or wiring or switch needs attention.
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 07:05:15 PM »
Depending on the version of the motor, they do have brushes. If the brushes are worn down too far it wont run, need replacing. Only problem I've had with mine was the stem of the switch broke off once, they replaced it free. Their service response is very good, though of course this happened on a Sunday!

Other thing is is the speed control turned up? If down too far it does not start

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 10:41:02 PM »
You could have any number of things wrong. Like was said check the socket your plugged into. Check for fuses the controller my have some on it. The switch could of went bad it needs to be check. If you have a meter and know how to use it a continuity test can be done on the motor to see if there is and open circuit indicating motor problem. A meter can be used to check to see if there is power available to the controller and to the motor. If you have any indicator lights on your controller are they lit? Before more troubleshooting can’t be done these things must be checked first.

Regards Don

Offline Steve Crow

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 12:28:18 PM »
I plugged the motor in this morning and it worked fine!

It must have been the thermal protection though it was still dead 4 hours after it cut out.

Thanks for all your advice and sorry if I have wasted your time.

Steve

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 08:33:27 PM »
Steve thermo don’t stay open that long unless they are about to fail. You should check your brushes that would explain four hours later. All you needed to do is tap the motor with a hammer and it would of probably ran if the brush was the problem but I wold still check them for wear. Another thing to do is make sure all connections are secure.

Regards Don

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 09:45:57 PM »
I agree with Don, the thermal switch would kick back on in 5 or 10 minutes, tops, and you would have been able to feel that the motor was pretty hot. Sounds more like worn brushes, if that motor has replaceable ones. One of my Sherlines has them, the other of different vintage does not.

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 03:24:20 PM »
Worn brushes often find a "dead spot". If it happens again, try moving the pully forward by hand. Watch your fingers. If it takes off then the motor needs service.

Alan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal