Supporting > Engine Ancillaries

First attempt at gear cutting

(1/3) > >>

Steve Crow:
After what seemed like an age acquiring cutters and making arbors, a centreing micrometer and other bits I finally got round to cutting some gears.

They are Mod 0.3 bevel gears, and spares, for a differential I’m making.

They still need parting and cleaning up.

There are 6 x 12 tooth mitre gears, and 2 x 40 tooth crown wheels with matching 16 tooth pinions.

It wasn’t entirely a success though. I lost the top of one tooth after turning the rotary table before I’d retracted the tool enough (back centre on photo).  Stupid error but that’s why I made spares.

I used the parallel depth method from the Ivan Law book and everything was straightforward once I’d got my head around the maths.

A lengthy process though. The 10 gears I made needed a total of 552 separate cuts. (Each tooth gap is cut 3 times). This is my excuse for making the error – a mixture of tiredness and complacency.

They look fine under magnification and seem to mesh well (even the bit with the half tooth).

I will report back when they are finished and assembled.

Steve

Bearcar1:
That is a good looking lot of gears. Bugger you messed up that one tooth but I have to say the rest look very good for a first attempt. I have yet to cut any gears but have been interested in doing so and will keep watching here.

BC1
Jim

pgp001:
Dont throw that one with a missing tooth in the bin.

You could make a couple of bevel gear quadrants from it, you know the type for balancing brake pull rods or that type of thing.
I made something similar for the brakes on a model Clayton steam wagon years ago.

Phil

crueby:
Very nice job on the gears! Module 0.3 is pretty small, well done!

Flyboy Jim:
Those are some nice gears. I'd love to see some pictures of the process sometime.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version