Author Topic: money to spend on amazon  (Read 1167 times)

Online tghs

money to spend on amazon
« on: December 25, 2020, 07:07:16 PM »
so, as little Xmas present from work I have $120.00 to spend at amazon,, thinking that a 1 ton palmgren arbor press might be a good shop addition.. anybody have other good tool suggestions..  In the new year I'm looking very hard at a 7 x 16 lathe (hopefully tarrifs will stop)
what the @#&% over

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
Re: money to spend on amazon
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 09:33:42 PM »
Well, I don't know what you have or might be in need of, or indeed what machine tools you have. $120 will get you a very high quality micrometer - can't beat having some decent metrology tools on hand.

Or - how about gauge pins / gauge blocks? Since I discovered gauge pins a few months ago, I wouldn't be without them by choice. Shars sells their stuff on Amazon (cheaper than on their own website usually).

I may go and skulk about your postings and see if I can figure out more about your current set up so that I can make more useful recommendations.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Online tghs

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 10:27:11 PM »
Thanks for the advice.. I'm set on good mic's, I actually ordered up the press,, in the near future I'll be doing lots small rivets and sheet metal work,, or maybe simulating rivets.. I may pick up a set of small broaches later..
what the @#&% over

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 10:44:45 PM »
Well I’ll be very interested to hear what you think about it. I was thinking about broaching today and thought an arbor press might be a good add at some point.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 10:53:37 PM »
That palmgren ap10 is the one I got this winter, pretty good unit.

Offline GordonL

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 12:46:57 PM »
RE: Arbor press and broach. Note that you need a lot of head room to use a broach and most of the small arbor presses do not have enough room. Even the small broaches are 6 to 8" long. I have a small arbor press and I use it for pushing in bearings and other press fit items but it does not work for broaching.

Online tghs

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 02:47:48 PM »
I think it will fit 1/16th and 1/8th broaches,, shouldn't need anything bigger than that for the work I do.. most likely it will get used  for stamping and pressing sheet metal, bearings and shafts,, If I need to go bigger for a job,, there is a large press not to far away.. (there is a lathe or two over there also)
what the @#&% over

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 04:15:35 PM »
I bought this set of broaches some time ago. about 80£ from a ME Show..1/16. 3/32.  1/8" and you get a good range of ferrules to go with them . there are 5" long and I use them in a drill press...

willy
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 07:36:17 PM by steam guy willy »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal