Author Topic: Merry Christmas!  (Read 2518 times)

Daggers

Re: Merry Christmas!
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2020, 11:53:43 AM »
Merry Christmas to all and wherever you are in the world, keep safe.

Also with a big thank you to all those involved with the running of this very special site.

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2020, 12:12:51 PM »
Merry Christmas to you all, especially those who find themselves 'Home alone'.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sAvnhY0-5A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sAvnhY0-5A</a>

Here is a little something for you all to enjoy. A virtual tour around the Museum of Retro Technology

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/museum.htm.

Stay safe

Mike

It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2020, 06:32:44 PM »
Have a merry Xmas everybody and a special  :ThumbsUp: to Ade and all the people that makes this site special  :praise2:   :cheers:

Best wishes

Per

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2020, 06:59:21 PM »
Best Wishes to all!   And may I echo the thanks to all involved in this wonderful forum's upkeep  Terry

Offline Steve17

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2020, 07:41:51 PM »
Best wishes to you all and a big thank you to all those who make this site possible  :cheers:

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2020, 08:21:04 AM »
A merry Xmas and a happy and safer New Year to everyone !
Special thanks to the administrators of this amazing forum.

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2020, 06:18:29 PM »
It would be remiss of  me not to point out that, in all honesty, I do bugger all around here except keep the lights from flickering too much - it's really the other admins (with special thanks to Jo) and our excellent team of moderators who really keep this place running - and it's mainly down to you, gentle readers and contributors, who make it so special.

Looking forward to more amazing stuff in 2021!

PS: Despite being admin of a model engine maker's site, I've never actually made a model engine.... however, I've just watched a couple of series on Youtube, making a PM Research #1 steam engine (one by Joe Pieczynski here, the other by Quinn Dunki aka Blondihacks here).... must admit.... very tempted.... and surprisingly affordable casting set, ISTM.

I wonder, how many of us in the UK would be tempted, and is it worth trying to set up a group buy, to help defray shipping costs?
Cheers,
Ade
--
I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2020, 06:32:40 PM »
I'll have a think about a suitable cheap UK model for a starter  :thinking:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2020, 07:03:49 PM »
Even at £131 from Forrest Classics for it's size the PMR #1 is not a bad buy when compared to Stuarts offerings.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2020, 04:09:13 PM »
It would be remiss of  me not to point out that, in all honesty, I do bugger all around here except keep the lights from flickering too much - it's really the other admins (with special thanks to Jo) and our excellent team of moderators who really keep this place running - and it's mainly down to you, gentle readers and contributors, who make it so special.

Looking forward to more amazing stuff in 2021!

PS: Despite being admin of a model engine maker's site, I've never actually made a model engine.... however, I've just watched a couple of series on Youtube, making a PM Research #1 steam engine (one by Joe Pieczynski here, the other by Quinn Dunki aka Blondihacks here).... must admit.... very tempted.... and surprisingly affordable casting set, ISTM.

I wonder, how many of us in the UK would be tempted, and is it worth trying to set up a group buy, to help defray shipping costs?

Hello Ade,

I am building PMR #1 at the moment. It's a good engine - a reasonable size so that you can hold parts, the castings are high quality in my opinion - I have not encountered "hard spots", and find that the castings are quite symmetrical and centered which helps with set up. At the same time, the kit has its challenges. The cylinder and base castings certainly require plenty of thought, and I have been caught out on simpler parts too.

The two youtubers you mention do provide plenty of insight. It's an interesting comparison too. On the one hand, you have Joe Pie who is a professional machinist, who demonstrates quite clearly that with the right forethought and approach the parts can be made to print, and fit together and run. Quinn is a hobbyist, and while she gets caught out from time to time shows how "measure and scribe" techniques will still get you to a working engine - and that if you go wrong, very often you can alter the mating part to suit and still get a runner. Frankly she seems to be making a better job of the engine than I am, although I do cringe at a few of her set ups. But who am I to judge really?

For my own part - my own series of balls ups and mistakes should still show that a relatively inexperienced hobby machinist can still make a nice, working engine. (I'm not there yet, but the further along I go, the more I am convinced I will get a working engine).

So, all the best, and I hope you will give one a try.

Like Jason says - the PMR's are well priced compared to Stuart Models for instance, and slightly simpler I think. Those two Youtube series caused quite a run on the PMR #1.

Also consider PMR #'s 3 and 5.

https://www.forest-classics.co.uk/pm-research/pm-steam-engine
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2020, 04:28:08 PM »
Like Jason says - the PMR's are well priced compared to Stuart Models for instance, and slightly simpler I think.

The most expensive part of buying things from Stuarts is the postage: a friend brought a single spare casting and was charged £13.50 for postage when it arrived buy Royal Mail, the postage mark showed postage cost £2.40   :Director:

The Clarkson engines from Blackgates are also very good value for money (Anthony Mount's engines are for more experienced builders but they are reasonably priced  :) )

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2020, 04:36:04 PM »
Oof. That's a bit much of a postage mark up.

Looking at the site, the S50 is a similar engine and actually bit cheaper.

https://www.stuartmodels.com/item/17/stuart-s50-unmachined

I'd like to make one of their beam engines one day.

EDIT: Hadn't seen the Clarkson catalog before. Just had a look - some very nice engines for the 80 squid mark or so there. Nice.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 04:40:10 PM by propforward »
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2020, 04:59:48 PM »
Yes the S50 is a similar layout to the #1 but about 2/3rds the size which makes the bigger #1 a good buy.

The Clarkson Horizontals are not the most attractive of engines and unlike PMR and Stuarts they are just the castings so not much if any cheaper once barstock, fixings etc have been added to the cost

Don't forget there is 20% tax to add to the Stuart and Blackgates prices too for UK buyers, the £131 for the #1 includes VAT
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 05:03:00 PM by Jasonb »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal