Author Topic: Source for Chinese tooling?  (Read 3702 times)

Offline TGD

Source for Chinese tooling?
« on: December 16, 2020, 03:00:36 PM »
I’m back to model engineering after about a 30 year break. I had a lot of stuff but family came, jobs changed and house moves occurred .etc, ... everything was gone practically. Now with Covid restrictions etc, I bought a Chinese mini lathe on impulse from Amadeal and am anxious to get going but I need to buy a lot of tooling and supplies.
Any recommendations for a single Aliexpress store or other such source from where I might get everything in one order?

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Source for Chinese tooling?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 04:55:44 PM »
It depends on the risks you want to take against price. Someone like ARC in the UK makes reasonably sure of the quality and offers after sales service. CTC tooling in Hong Kong is intermediate and most of the Aliexpress/Banggood you get what you get.
Best regards

Roger

Offline samc88

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 12:08:19 AM »
Ive also got an amadeal mini lathe. Most of the tools Ive bought are from ARC and RDG tools, both great companies to deal with. Ive recently upgraded my lathe to taper roller bearings which has made quite a difference to usability (But then mine gets abused a bit with jobs that are a bt too big for it really)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 09:47:10 AM »
Any recommendations for a single Aliexpress store or other such source from where I might get everything in one order?

I would check on what value import duties kick in: in the UK anything over £17 attracts a £12 tax collection fee from the Royal mail which is why it is better to  place lots of small orders.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Caber

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 10:25:13 AM »
Jo, new rules as if BREXIT is they have removed small order exemption so standby for £18 minimum charges for any import no matter what value

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 11:12:12 AM »
Thanks Caber,

You made me check the UK Government website to see how things change as a result of BREXIT: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-and-overseas-goods-sold-directly-to-customers-in-the-uk and https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users

My reading is that we can now buy up to £135 of stuff and not get dinged with Import Duty, VAT or Excise Duty  :whoohoo:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 01:01:55 PM »
Don't think so Jo

VAT on everything no matter how small, the likes of E-bay will collect it at point of sale. So basically all the cheap far eastern stuff bought direct has gone up 20%

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/listings/default/vat-obligations-eu?id=4650#section1

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 01:24:49 PM »
E-bay.UK is considered to be a UK Business and therefore is required by law to charge VAT and it is included in the price they charge you. They may be hosting overseas sellers but legally you are buying from a UK registered business.

If you buy directly from overseas i.e. Aliexpress etc. UK Taxes and import duty is not charged to the seller, it is the purchaser who is responsible for the taxes/duties as defined under the UK Government rules, as above.

Jo

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 09:47:15 PM »
Hi Mike

I believe that the outside sellers don't include VAT as this is done by Customs when it arrives on our shores - and the Post Office takes quite a bit of cash for their service in those cases.
I have been charged 185,-DKr. for the service + the 18,-DKr. in VAT from them, from a package from China.

Per

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 07:52:03 AM »
I see from the engine thread you posted that you may be in Ireland. If that is so RC Machines in Luxembourg may be a possibility avoiding the potential Brexit problems.

https://www.rcm-machines.com/en/
Best regards

Roger

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 04:03:10 PM »

You made me check the UK Government website to see how things change as a result of BREXIT: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-and-overseas-goods-sold-directly-to-customers-in-the-uk and https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users

My reading is that we can now buy up to £135 of stuff and not get dinged with Import Duty, VAT or Excise Duty  :whoohoo:

That certainly seems to be the case in Notice 143... but the Brexit guidance seems to suggest that anyone selling goods into the UK with a total consignment value of £135 or less will have to register for VAT & add VAT at source (unless you're a VAT registered business, in which case normal VAT rules apply). It also suggests the LVCR (Low Value Consignment Relief) has been abandoned (per Caber's post).  I guess the question, therefore, will be: How many Chinese sellers will register for UK VAT? Not many, I suspect...
Cheers,
Ade
--
I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 04:31:47 PM »

That certainly seems to be the case in Notice 143... but the Brexit guidance seems to suggest that anyone selling goods into the UK with a total consignment value of £135 or less will have to register for VAT & add VAT at source (unless you're a VAT registered business, in which case normal VAT rules apply). It also suggests the LVCR (Low Value Consignment Relief) has been abandoned (per Caber's post).  I guess the question, therefore, will be: How many Chinese sellers will register for UK VAT? Not many, I suspect...

Sadly AdeV is correct, Jo. It seems all but the large overseas business-to-consumer suppliers are already telling the UK to stuff it and simply refusing to ship to the UK. I've already had this with some spares becoming unavailable because there are no UK-friendly sources. So much for the "they need us more than we need them" bollox that was written on 350 million buses a month...

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2021, 04:55:01 PM »
Sadly AdeV is correct, Jo. It seems all but the large overseas business-to-consumer suppliers are already telling the UK to stuff it and simply refusing to ship to the UK. I've already had this with some spares becoming unavailable because there are no UK-friendly sources. So much for the "they need us more than we need them" bollox that was written on 350 million buses a month...

Aliexpress seems to still be willing to let me order from them  :) It looks like the EU countries are refusing  :-\

Jo

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2021, 06:22:40 PM »
AlienExpress is like Banggood - a website front for a gazzilion separate sellers. Some are just ignoring the new rules and will probably say it's your fault if it gets blocked in the post. Others have already said they won't ship to the UK - like the supplier of that 3d printer I have for which the only spares supplier is a Banggood shop that no longer shops to the UK...

PDR
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2021, 06:43:00 PM »
 :headscratch:

First one I tried no problem..

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal