Author Topic: Bar-stock "Mary"  (Read 13252 times)

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
Re: Bar-stock "Mary"
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2021, 04:52:36 AM »
Very pleased to see your excellent progress.

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2021, 05:30:33 AM »
Thanks Bear.  Good to have you following along!

Joe

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2021, 06:16:56 AM »
Nice work on all those links, Joe.  They look great mounted on your engine!
Kim

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2021, 03:08:51 PM »
It's my pleasure, Joe. I am learning from it.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2021, 08:47:48 PM »
I do like gib and cotter split bearings :)   and yours are NICE. :cheers:           Terry

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2021, 10:55:44 AM »
Very nice work!

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2021, 02:41:24 PM »
Terry, Gary, thanks!

Moved on to the valve linkage: turned a shaft, match-drilled 2 bits of flat bar, and then filed them down to make the arms.  The short length of round
is a spacer to hold the arms the right distance apart for soldering, and the quick & dirty clamp is to keep them in the same plane & not move during soldering

After soldering & clean-up

A straight-forward turning job for the valve crosshead & collars, I will permanently pin these as they do not need to be disassembled later for paint

Turned & threaded a pair of shoulder bolts

some fussing around to get the lever assembly into the base of the cylinder, reassemble the cylinder assembly, and here the arms are bolted to the levers

And then got to fit the eccentric rod that was made ages ago...

a different view:

Next up will be the connecting rod, and then things can go round-n-round!

Cheers, Joe

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2021, 02:46:36 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2021, 02:54:43 PM »
That's a great looking engine and really nice work! As a fellow Taig user I have an additional interest to follow your work. Is that dividing head I see based on the Tony Jeffree design?
Regards,
Ron

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2021, 03:07:30 PM »
Thanks Bear.  Ron: Thanks for looking in, yes it is more or less Jeffries' second version.  It has been a very useful addition to the tool chest, gets a fair amount of use.  Excellent in that it matches up with all the Taig bits.

Joe

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2021, 03:53:51 PM »
Just checked in Joe - more fine progress and good to see it all coming together :ThumbsUp:

That paint on the flywheel - is that the finished colour or a primer - whatever I really like the shade.

Regards - Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2021, 04:26:21 PM »
Nice work on all the linkages there!  Very nice looking engine.   :popcorn: :popcorn:

Kim

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2021, 05:35:14 PM »
Thanks Kim.   Tug:  thanks, the paint is supposed to be a self-etching primer. Unfortunately, on this particular brass it is not adhering
well at all, I can scrape it off with my fingernail.  I do like the colour as well, if I can find a primer that sticks, I may well use this one as the top coat.

Joe

Offline cwelkie

« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2021, 06:19:12 PM »
I like all the fiddly little bits.  It's all coming along nicely.
Please share what you settle on with a primer for brass that provides better adhesion if you find any.
Charlie

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2021, 12:32:53 PM »
Thanks Charlie.  It's those fiddly bits that keep us coming back!  A good primer for brass is like that winning lottery ticket... it's out there, but odds are long.

On to one of the parts I've been looking forward to, the connecting rod.

A length of round of great enough dia to get all the parts out, and some flat bar for the big end.  the random looking hole in the flat is to ensure
full penetration of the silver solder, it's location was not spot on centre, but as it will be milled away no big deal

Once soldered, in the mill and brought down to near dimension, and in the same plane as the shaft

dialed it in the big lathe & centre-drilled the end of the big end (not shown) then extended further out to turn the centre part of the shaft down to it's maximum diameter

Back to the mill to start to shape the small end, using a taig vise to index the cuts plane to the big end

1st oops on this part, turned a dial the wrong way & put a nice rabbet on one side of the smaller square section...

Happily, this was shallow enough that I just made the square section octagonal... and actually like it better!

on the taig lathe to make the fish belly curve on the centre part, this was done with a succession of files, strictly to eye

transferred to the mill with the indexing head, off-set half the desired thickness of the rib, and angled faintly to simulate draft angle, and 4 times around with a ball-end cutter, then off set the same distance from centre on the other side, reverse of the angle, and 4 more passes

back on the lathe to turn the decorative bands that join the fish-belly centre to the bearing ends..

All the turning completed, all mill & hand work to go

Cheers, Joe

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal