Author Topic: Up For Grabs  (Read 2907 times)

Offline BeaverBoy

Up For Grabs
« on: February 02, 2018, 08:15:53 PM »
I've posted this elsewhere on the forum, but this seems to be a better place which might get it more views, so…

I have a complete set of dyeline drawings for a Burrel Thetford Chase road engine. These also come with an excellent college-produced illustrated parts list. The drawings are in good condition (not folded) and as I am unlikely to ever make a start on building the engine, they are up for grabs if anyone's interested. I haven't seen them since we moved house a couple of years ago - so I just have to find them first! Not certain on who the designer is/was (or the scale until I see the drawings again), but 1":1ft rings a bell.
A message/reply from anyone interested will probably encourage me to dig them out so that I can give more details.

UPDATE
I finally found the plans - right next to my desk! The details are as above, with this additional information:
There is a complete set of 10 sheets, they are A2 (folded once), and in very reasonable condition.
There is NO date on the drawings, so nothing to say when the original design was done.
The drawings comprise of:
Sht 1 Cylinder & Cannon Brackets
Sht 2 Boiler
Sht 3 Change Speed & Valve Gear
Sht 4 Pump, Crankshaft & Intermediate Gear
Sht 5 Rear Springing & Axle, Wheels & Final Gears
Sht 6 Rear Axle Section, Wheels & Chimney
Sht 7 Tanks & Canopy
Sht 8 Steering & Frontt Wheels, Flywheel & Toolbox
Sht 9 Misc. Details
Sht 10 Nearside Prospect
There is a fully illustrated parts list.

Scale is 2":1ft (NOT 1" as I had guessed above).
The designer is Ronald H. Clark AMIMechE of Norwich, who did the design direct from Burrell's original drawings.
Steering is via bevel gears to a wheel & pinion - not the usual worm/chains - I assume as per the full-size engine.
Some castings were needed, possibly/probably no longer available. The original castings were sourced from Dick Simmonds & Co. of Erith, Kent.

If interested, please message me or reply to this post. I will post rolled in a tube with no further folding, and they could be yours for little more than the cost of postage.
I would prefer that someone wanted them rather than me just chuck them in the bin (it could happen).

Anyone interested?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 03:09:53 PM by BeaverBoy »
How on earth did I find time to go to work?

Offline BeaverBoy

Re: Up For Grabs
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 03:14:39 PM »
UPDATE
I finally found the plans - right next to my desk! The details are as above, with this additional information:
There is a complete set of 10 sheets, they are A2 (folded once), and in very reasonable condition.
There is NO date on the drawings, so nothing to say when the original design was done.
The drawings comprise of:
Sht 1 Cylinder & Cannon Brackets
Sht 2 Boiler
Sht 3 Change Speed & Valve Gear
Sht 4 Pump, Crankshaft & Intermediate Gear
Sht 5 Rear Springing & Axle, Wheels & Final Gears
Sht 6 Rear Axle Section, Wheels & Chimney
Sht 7 Tanks & Canopy
Sht 8 Steering & Frontt Wheels, Flywheel & Toolbox
Sht 9 Misc. Details
Sht 10 Nearside Prospect
There is a fully illustrated parts list.

Scale is 2":1ft (NOT 1" as I had guessed above).
The designer is Ronald H. Clark AMIMechE of Norwich, who did the design direct from Burrell's original drawings.
Steering is via bevel gears to a wheel & pinion - not the usual worm/chains - I assume as per the full-size engine.
Some castings were needed, possibly/probably no longer available. The original castings were sourced from Dick Simmonds & Co. of Erith, Kent.

If interested, please message me or reply to this post. I will post rolled in a tube with no further folding, and they could be yours for little more than the cost of postage.
I would prefer that someone wanted them rather than me just chuck them in the bin (it could happen).

Anyone interested?

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 10:17:39 PM »
I can't say that I am, but you might raise the interest among others here quite a bit if you can show a few pictures of a finished or full size one ....

Best wishes

Per

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 07:32:23 AM »
More commonly known as Thetford Town it should look like this when done.

http://www.steamworkshop.co.uk/portfolio/2-burrell-scenic/

There are a lot of castings needed for this engine and can still be bought from Reeves in the UK

Offline BeaverBoy

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 04:46:11 PM »
Good to hear that castings are still available from Reeves. Thanks Jason.

The link to the pics shows Thetford Town which is the showman's version - my drawings are of Thetford Chase, the agricultural model.

I'll try to get a pic up of that one.

Offline BeaverBoy

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 05:02:07 PM »
Can I just bump this back up?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 05:21:49 PM by BeaverBoy »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal