Author Topic: E-gad, he’s making another one of those crazy pop-up things  (Read 17883 times)

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
Re: E-gad, he’s making another one of those crazy pop-up things
« Reply #165 on: June 07, 2021, 11:12:15 PM »
Thanks for stopping by; and a BIG thank you to everyone who has sent their congratulations, encouragement, et. all. on a successful first run.

Now that the robotic Pez dispenser Otto & Langen model is running; I’ve turned my attention to the governor.  The engine runs so well that I “could” just forget about the governor, claim victory, and move on to another project but… as it runs now someone might confuse it with some errant kangaroo running through the outback :ROFL: so: a governor is probably needed.

The governor housing is an interesting piece to fabricate.  This is another machined part that is supposed to resemble the casting on the full size.  So you know where I’m going with all this fabrication: I’ve posted the graphic from Alibre below:

I thought and thought and thought and…. (you get the idea) about how to make this part and I finally resolved to make a fixture to help hold the part during the latter fabrication steps.  A bit on that down post.  First, I needed to size the piece of aluminum and then make the bearing pockets.  I’m again using ball bearings because this thing will spin around like crazy and I’d like it to be as friction free as possible.

Next I used my rotary milling head to form the bottom profile.

Forgot to drill a few holes up post but fortunately, I still had my set-up so not much time was lost.

Now I’m going to depart and show the steps to fabricate the fixture I’ll use to hold the governor housing to complete the mill work.  First a ½ inch piece of cold roll was formed as shown below.

Next I needed to cut some threads .

I then parted this part off the stock.  With the “shaft” part of the fixture complete, I’ve  moved on to the “base” part.  Here I’m forming the boss that will fit into a bearing pocket on the governor housing.

Next I drilled and tapped a center hole.  This part threads onto the shaft of the fixture I made above.

On the mill, drilling and threading supports that will hold the governor housing in the fixture and prevent it from rotating while I machine it.

Here I show the completed fixture mounted in the lathe chuck.

And here I have the governor housing mounted on the fixture.

Here I’m forming the cylinder portion of the governor housing.

A little cosmetic finishing, forming the end of the governor housing.

After a little clean-up I show the completed governor housing.

Next I started on the governor main shaft.  This is a ½ inch bar onto which I’ve turned several steps.

Milling a slot into the governor main shaft, and the main shaft is complete.

Here I’ve mock mounted the governor housing with main shaft installed on the engine.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 11:24:05 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #166 on: June 07, 2021, 11:59:47 PM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #167 on: June 08, 2021, 01:53:46 AM »
Craig,
It's good to see you moving forward with the governor. But, I sort of liked the idea of the errant kangaroo running through the outback pez dispenser. :ROFL:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #168 on: June 08, 2021, 01:54:47 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #169 on: June 08, 2021, 02:38:09 AM »
But remember that an outback kangaroo does move with a very steady beat when in full flight, so the governor is still needed!

They can of course also be very nimble when the need arises.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #170 on: June 08, 2021, 09:33:15 PM »
Thanks for stopping by. 
Chris, Art, CNR & MJM; thanks for your compliments and jovial comments.

But remember that an outback kangaroo does move with a very steady beat when in full flight, so the governor is still needed!

They can of course also be very nimble when the need arises.

MJM460
MJM is from Australia so he must know his kangaroos... I thought I’d better get hopp’in  :embarassed: on this governor before someone tries to put my model in the zoo.  :Lol:

Another interesting part to make today.  This is the weight hanger for the governor weights; I’ve included the graphic from my design software so you can see what I’m attempting to achieve.

After sizing an appropriate piece of steel, I started by drilling and tapping the center hole.  This is where the part threads onto the governor shaft I made yesterday.

A little cosmetic shaping was next in order.

The cosmetic shaping was completed using my rotary milling head to smooth out the transitions.

Next the pockets for the weight arms were cut.

And then the hole mounts for the shoulder bolts were formed.  I did this by drilling the hole through both top and bottom legs for the tap, then tapping both top and bottom legs.  This was followed by re-drilling the top shoulder to the shoulder bolt width and finishing with a ream.

Near complete now, the part was cut from the stock with my cut-off saw. 

And after a bit of clean-up, here is the finished part.  Hard to believe it took the day to make this one part.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 09:37:00 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #171 on: June 14, 2021, 04:44:05 PM »
Thanks for stopping by.

I’ve continued work on the governor these past days.  I have the spinning part of the governor together and have cut the bevel gears mounted on the secondary shaft and on the governor shaft to drive it.  I’m still up in the air as to whether I have the drive ratio for the governor correct.  The governor will need to spin faster than its full size counterpart, just due to scaling and relative weights of the fly-balls to the full size.  I also don’t really have a good feel for the gear rations on the full size, since I’m working off a photo. 

The main shaft on the model rotates at around 200 RPM when the engine is running wide-open.  This I observed when it was running.  The secondary shaft on these 2nd generation engines run at a slower speed than the main shaft; I read someplace that this was done to help lessen the impact on the pawl when it runs up against the stop and dis-engages.  I have the gear ratio of the governor to the secondary shaft set at five to one.  This gives the governor a rotation of around 700 rpm when the engine is at full speed.  With the gearing I’m using, the governor seems to settle at around the right speed as I let the engine coast down and stop.  I’ll have to see if this is ok or if I need to make a gear change on the governor drive one I get the governor linkage complete and see the governor in operation.

I haven’t taken any photos so you’ll have to be content with the one I took after I assembled to governor frame onto the engine. :shrug:  I still have several parts to make to have the governor function but I wanted to assemble so far to see if it goes round-and-round without hitting anything and without binding, etc.

Craig

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #172 on: June 14, 2021, 05:42:58 PM »
That is SUCH a pretty engine. Really nice work.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #173 on: June 16, 2021, 12:25:48 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #174 on: June 25, 2021, 08:36:10 PM »
Stuart and CNR; thanks for the complements and encouragement!  Thanks also for those who just occasionally stop by to see the latest.

I was postponed in finishing this model for about a week by a request to do some woodworking.  I don’t mind the woodworking but the cleanup of all the sawdust in the shop is a chore.

I was planning on ‘running in’ the ring to seat it before I made this final video but with the engine cycling once around every ten seconds it’s going to take hours and hours for that to occur so I thought I’d just go ahead and make a final video to complete this project. 

The engine is being controlled by the governor.  If I lift the counter weight the engine cycles as it does in the previous video.  The governor just starts to release control just as the spent gasses have leaked off enough of the engine to cycle.  I’m pretty sure once the engine runs some and the ring seats you’ll be able to actually see the governor functioning.

I’m very happy with this model.  It runs very well; and gives the impression that it could gust tick-away all day without problems occurring.  You can see the final video of it that I posted on the ‘engines’ section of this forum at this URL:

https://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,10393.0.html
Craig

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #175 on: June 26, 2021, 12:03:13 AM »
Wow Craig.  That seemed to go by pretty fast!    Pretty!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #176 on: June 26, 2021, 01:20:44 PM »
Congrats on a successful conclusion to an unusual project.

I have enjoyed looking in on this build and I am impressed by the way it runs in the video. Since you mentioned that you have some thoughts about what may be the result of some run time, I will be looking for an update later.

Thank You for posting and Thank You for sharing your thoughts along the way.

ShopShoe

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #177 on: June 27, 2021, 12:38:36 PM »
Congratulations Craig, on another successful model.  A great contribution to ensuring that a historical prototype is not forgotten.

I am so glad that you managed to include the governor.

It’s been an enjoyable build to follow from the start.  I never miss a post.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #178 on: June 29, 2021, 03:18:56 AM »
Thanks for the complements folks.  It will take days of run time to get the ring seated so that the engine can attain it’s optimal performance.  Maybe in a year or two  ;) I will make another video; but regardless, thanks for following along and commenting.
Craig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal