Author Topic: E-gad, he’s making another one of those crazy pop-up things  (Read 17885 times)

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
Re: E-gad, he’s making another one of those crazy pop-up things
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2021, 12:00:36 AM »
Thanks for stopping by.  Progress continues on the 2nd flywheel; no need for an update of photos since the procedure is identical to the steps above.

Kirk; thanks for your observation.  Some engines scale well, other do not.  Wayne Grenning (I’m not faulting Wayne in his excellent work) built a whole group of Otto Langen models for sale about ten years ago.  I have a friend who has one of these and though it runs well; it does a poor job of displaying the character of the full size.  The model stands (I think) a little over eight inches tall.  It is so small that it cycles several times a second.  The full size, at least when it’s not loaded, fires and coasts, fires and coasts; much like the hit-and-miss engines we all know and many have modeled.  These small Otto Langen models are just too little to exhibit the characteristics of the full size.

I want my scale models to not only LOOK like the full size, but when running, present the characteristics of the engines they represent.  To do this they need to be large enough so that when they run, they represent the full size fairly well.

The Crossly Otto Langen I built last year verges on being too small to represent the character of its full size counterpart.  When I designed this model, I designed it large enough so that, hopefully, when it runs it will simulate the full size engine.

Time will tell.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2021, 10:53:37 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to stop by.

And then…. There were two  :whoohoo:

Pretty routine after making the first one.  Now on to the mechanics on the secondary shaft.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2021, 10:56:32 PM »
Wow, what a difference the second one makes!

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2021, 02:05:36 AM »
Holy Moly that’s a pretty engine.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2021, 10:54:59 AM »
Hi Craig, looking very nice.

Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2021, 09:35:52 PM »
Craig,
I have to say that looks good. My lathe is a 12 X 36, but is also a gap bed lathe. I've never had anything that  big in it so never removed the  4 Allen bolts that attach it. I think I'd have been scratching my head trying to figure out if it would go back together the same way again.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2021, 09:49:55 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to stop by and see the latest.  Thanks also to Chris, Stuart, Achim, and Art for your kind comments, compliments, and observations.

Art…. Yea; mine is a gap bead lathe also.  I tried, sort-of, to remove the gap when I turned the flywheel for the previous Otto Langen I made.  I couldn’t get any of the allen screws out that hold the gap in.  I was sort-of relieved when I failed.  I’ve heard horror stories of people who removed the gap and could never get it aligned again properly. 

I’ve also turned 12 inch flywheels (cast iron) on my lathe.  At a lowest speed of 70 RPM I was taking very light cuts with carbide tooling to turn the flywheel without dulling the tooling.  I’m not sure, without some kind of exotic tooling, you could turn a 15 inch flywheel at 70 RPM.

Today was consumed with making the lift eccentric.  I don’t have any photos of the procedure I used, basically because- early on- I managed to machine myself into a hole.  I wasn’t thinking things through well enough and had turned the large diameter flat and was working on the offset smaller diameter when it occurred to me that I still needed to cut two flanges on the large diameter and I, really, had left myself no good way to hold the piece to cut them.  I ended-up mounting the piece in the 4-jaw chuck and after a bit of diddling, managed to get the large diameter to run “true” to within a few thousandths.  That was close enough to cut the flanges on the large diameter.  I wouldn’t suggest machining an eccentric in this manner.  It turned out ok though- below is the completed photo.

And below is a photo of the eccentric mounted on the engine.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 03:23:43 AM by Craig DeShong »
Craig

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2021, 10:08:01 PM »

Quite intriguing design on these - for some reason I am visualizing one on the back of one of the earliest Daimler motorcars, the ones with the tall thin wheels and a little buggy seat on top.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2021, 05:34:53 PM »
That's quite a beast  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: I hope you get the running that you want  :) Nature is hard to scale  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2021, 12:12:33 AM »
Still following along Craig, everything looks great.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2021, 09:00:09 PM »
Thanks for stopping by.  Bob and Roger; thanks for commenting.  Yea, it’s going to be a large model.  I’m just hoping I can lug it around to the shows without a lot of trouble.  I did pick it up the other day, just to see how heavy it was getting.   It has almost all the larger heavier parts on it now.  It’s still manageable.

I’ve been working on the other eccentric.  The previous eccentric was the “lift” eccentric; used to lift the piston so fuel/air can be drawn into the cylinder.  This eccentric will operate the slide valve at the base of the engine.   Again, I don’t have any photos of me making this eccentric, just a photo of it complete and mounted on the engine.

And another shot of the engine from the back with both eccentrics in place.

Don't know if you've noticed or not, but some of the 'older' parts are starting to pick up a bit of rust.  :facepalm: I guess I need to start keeping the model rubbed down with oil, it can get pretty humid in the shop.
Craig

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2021, 09:09:51 PM »
Nice   :popcorn: :popcorn:     Terry

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2021, 03:28:39 AM »
Craig,
Don't know if you've noticed or not, but some of the 'older' parts are starting to pick up a bit of rust.  :facepalm: I guess I need to start keeping the model rubbed down with oil, it can get pretty humid in the shop.
That's not a problem it just adds patina.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2021, 10:54:57 PM »
Alternatively you could do a bit off Nickel Plating as Chris does it (he has shown how to) - easy and without any 'Nasties' involved ....

Still enjoying your journey and progress  :cheers:

Per

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2021, 10:02:10 PM »
Terry, Art, Per; thanks for your comments.  Thanks also for those who just silently drop by to see the latest.

Per:  Hmmmmmmm, nickel plating.  Yes, I’ve seen Chris’s excellent results.  I’ll think about it.  It would make a STUNNING model!   (Though Art, with his suggestion; I might pass the model off as an original exhibition model.)  :lolb:

I’ve been lackadaisical as of late with detailed photos, so I thought I’d give you a “blow-by-blow”  :hammerbash: procedure for how I made the ratchet.

Things started with a two inch round of cold rolled steel.  First I center-drilled the end for the live center.

Next I turned a shoulder on one side of the ratchet.

Like some of the things we make; I needed to think through how I was going to hold this piece during the later stages of fabrication.  I decided upon making a spigot to facilitate holding the piece and would later be cut-off.  This spigot is ½ inch in diameter.  The hole for the shaft will be 9/16th inch so when I drill out the hole for the shaft, the spigot will be removed.  Here I’m forming the spigot.

Having formed the spigot, I’ve turned the piece around in the lathe.  I’m holding it with said spigot and am facing the front side of the part.

Now I need to reduce the diameter of the part to its final 1 ¾ inch largest diameter.

Next was to move over to the mill and cut the “faces” of the ratchet steps.  All the above steps were repeated because on the first “try” I was using a collet to hold the part and it rotated in the collet and ruined the part.  You might notice I’m climb-cutting these steps; not by choice but rather necessity.  There is no other way to approach them.  Though I’m only removing .025 inch per pass; there is a huge tendency to grab the part and spin it.  For this second (and final) attempt I switched to my dividing head and am using its chuck.  I STILL got a bit of rotation once but managed to save this piece.

I can’t seem to make anything anymore without using my rotary milling head.  Here I’m “smoothing” the ramps that lead into the ratchet “steps”.

With the part back on the lathe; I’ve drilled and am now boring the hole for the shaft.  I’m boring this to within a few thousandths of the final shaft diameter.  This step cuts off the spigot.

Now finishing up with the 9/16th inch ream.

The last fabrication step was to broach the keyway.  Here I’m performing that task on my hand press.

The completed part.

Craig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal