Author Topic: E-gad, he’s making another one of those crazy pop-up things  (Read 17888 times)

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
Re: E-gad, he’s making another one of those crazy pop-up things
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2021, 11:38:24 PM »
Thanks for stopping by to see the latest.

The afternoon was spent doing some machining on the Cylinder insert.  I designed the insert so it is just slightly shorter than the column.  The thought is that when the bolts at the bottom and top of the column are drawn up, this should lock the upper and lower column members in place.  I also have a light press fit at the very top of the column and  a stiffer press fit at the bottom, since at the bottom I need a good air-tight fit.

First I faced off both column ends.  Again I used my steady rest to assist in this operation.

With the column machined to the correct length, I reduced the diameter of the bottom of the column where I need a tight press fit.

I need to drill/tap four holes at 0,90,180,and 270 degrees in the bottom lip and top lip of this cylinder liner.  These tapped holes need to be aligned to the holes in the column base.  I was thinking of drilling/tapping these holes before I press the liner into the column but I can't think of any good way to, once the holes are drilled, assuring that they will be aligned and remained aligned during the press operation.  I'm going to wait till I have the sleeve pressed into the column before I drill/tap these holes.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2021, 10:00:09 PM »
Thanks for stopping by.

I borrowed the use of a friends hydraulic press Sunday to press the liner into the upper, lower, and base column parts. 

With that finished it was time to drill and tap some holes to finish work on the column.  I drilled and then tapped these four holes that will be used to mount the table (through a  flange mounted to the column top) to the top of the column.

I needed to drill four holes at the other end of the cylinder liner, and have those holes in alignment with the four  just drilled in the liner top.  I needed to make a fixture to accomplish this.  Here I'm drilling four holes in a flat aluminum piece to make the fixture.

I then bolted the fixture to the liner with the four holes I just drilled.  This gave me a secure platform on which to mount the column to the mill table and also a way to align it.

With the cylinder liner correctly aligned, I drilled and tapped the four holes at the bottom of the liner.  These holes will be used to mount the cylinder head.

Next I needed to drill and tap two holes in which I'll eventually mount a bracket to anchor a stabilizer bar.  These holes need to be drilled such that the stabilizer bar mount will be in correct alignment with the table atop the column.  I once again used the fixture I made before to indicate in alignment.

With the column in alignment I drilled and tapped the two mounting holes for a bracket on which the stabilizer will mount.

While I had the above set-up, I drilled and tapped the two holed that will be used to mount the valve body.

This finished the machining work on the column.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2021, 11:21:46 PM »

Thanks for stopping by.

Today I thought I'd start on the flange that sits atop the column.  This flange is used to mount the table on which most all the mechanics resides.

First, time to drill and tap a plethora of holes.

Though the center will be bored out to a bit over two inches. I left just a center drilled hole so that I can re-establish the center of the piece over several setups.  Here I'm re-centering the mill quill over the center of the work piece in preparation for placing a radius on one end of the work piece.

Here I'm using my rotary milling head to establish the radius profile.

after turning the work piece around, I've re-centered it and am milling the radius on the opposite end.

I don't need the center locator any longer, so I'm boring the center out to a bit over two inches.

Finally I show the piece mounted on the column.
Craig

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2021, 11:09:27 AM »
You are progressing nicely and I can see that your radius attachment really makes it a lot simpler to do the last part - do you manually 'turn the angle' (180) or is it advancing by it self ?

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2021, 02:07:51 AM »
Hi Per.  The Volstro comes with a few pulleys and a belt that is supposed to attach to the down feed of a Bridgeport mill.  You are required to remove the hand wheel on the mill and install one of the pulleys.  Once you’ve done that and installed the belt, if you engage the down feed gear, but don’t activate the down feed itself, the belt will drive the shaft on the Volstro and will rotate the milling head thru 360 degrees.

Having said all that; I’ve never used that feature.  I’m usually milling acs anyway and mostly it’s a one time setup.  I find it easier to manually crank the milling head, watching the degree indicator so I don’t rotate too far.  Also, usually several passes with reducing radii  are required, including a fine final pass to get a nice clean surface.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 02:15:47 AM by Craig DeShong »
Craig

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2021, 09:33:51 PM »
Thanks for stopping by.

Work continued on the table top; the platform that sits on top of the column and supports most of the engine mechanics.  My supplier didn't have a piece of 5/8th inch aluminum at the width I needed so I bought a ¾ inch piece and surfaced it down.  This is one of the times that I wish I'd kept my shaper; but I don't have space for it and other equipment I use more.

With the piece sized, I'm cutting the recesses on which I'll attach the left and right uprights.  The two uprights support the main shaft and secondary shaft; along with the rack guide.

Next I drilled all the holes indicated by the drawing.

With the holes out of the way; I bored the center hole through which the rack will pass.

After a bit of cleanup I've placed the table top on top of the column in the manner in which it would mount.  It's held in place by two ¼ inch bolts and springs that provide overcharge protection.  The center hole isn't large enough for the piston to pass thru, so in an overcharge situation, the piston  is driven against the bottom of this table top and the springs that surround the bolts compress, providing relief for the excessive force of the ignition.
Craig

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2021, 09:48:50 PM »
Thanks for stopping by.

With this post I've started work on the uprights.  Like my model, on the full size, the uprights are bolted to the “table” casting; that part I made in the above post.  I suspect I could have acquired a humongous  chunk of aluminum and made the table and uprights as one piece, but I don't believe I could have formed some of the embellishments that the full size has.  Most of the work on these two uprights will be of a cosmetic nature; trying to make them appear somewhat like the original casting of the full size.   

It might be an interesting side-track to look at the evolution of this part of the Otto Langen engines as time progressed.  In the photo below I show a very early example.  What I want you to notice is the individual pedestals that support the main and secondary shafts.

Compare this to the, what I'm calling 'uprights' in the photo below.

The above photo is a photo of Rough and Tumbles Otto Langen, serial number 31.  What I'm pointing out is that the individual pedestals that were originally used to support the two shafts were redesigned and replaced by 'uprights' fairly quickly since the above is the 31st Otto Langen to be built.

The 2nd generation engine I'm modeling also uses 'uprights'; though they are styled somewhat differently than the Rough and Tumble engine.  I have several photos of the engine I'm modeling, but I don't have a clear view of exactly what a complete, un-hidden, upright looks like; so I've taken my 'best guess' and the below image is a view of the upright I'm trying to create.  This image comes from my  CAD software.

Lots and lots of milling steps in making one of these; I suspect it will take a while.  The left upright and the right upright are nearly similar; differing in only where a few holes are drilled. 

After sizing the piece of aluminum, I started by drilling and tapping the holes that will be used to mount the uprights to the table.

Once that was done it was time to start milling out some of the openings in the piece.  I need to grossly remove some material, so first I drilled some corner holes.  These are not at the exact corners of this void but are giving me room to plunge through an end mill.

Now that I have some corners established, I'm using an under size end mill to remove the center material.  No exacting work here, I'm just trying to open up the cavity.  I'm just getting started in the below photo.

And in the photo below I've made the final pass.  Working with aluminum I was able to drop down around two tenths of an inch on each pass.  I can't imagine how tedious this would have been with steel.

I managed to overlay one of my photos so you don't get to see the final relief step on the first side, but the sides are symetric so here I'm making that relief on the opposite side.

Lots of work yet to accomplish on these uprights before I can call them complete.  Work will continue if/when the weather provides days warm enough to occupy the shop.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 10:40:21 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2021, 10:42:03 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:
Yep, that's a lot of material coming out of there!

Looks real good though!

:popcorn: John

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2021, 08:01:15 AM »
I'm still following and enjoying  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:

That overcharge relief system is interesting  :thinking: Was it a standard fitment or a later development?
Best regards

Roger

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2021, 09:36:15 PM »
John: lots of material to come off still !

Roger:  I suspect all the Otto Langens had some type of overcharge protection; still several were destroyed by not being operated properly and getting a huge overcharge in the cylinder.

Thank you John and Roger for your comments; also thanks to those who take the time to stop by.

I got a bit of shop time in today and work continued on the uprights.  With the front void finished with the previous post; it was time to address the rear void.  The fabrication of this one was a bit trickier than the former.

I started with the same procedure as above, drilling out the corner holes.

Then I moved on to just removing material.  Since the rear of the void is cut on an angle, I waited to cut it's edge till I had my vice propositioned so I could maximize the work done with that setup.

Using a ¾ inch end mill, I took about two tenths of an inch off per pass, and after several passes; broke through to full depth.  Here I'm just trying to remove material.

Then I switched out to a one inch end mill and made the final pass to get a smooth finish.

The next step was to cut the recess on the top side

and then turn the piece over and do likewise on the flip side.

After angling my vice to the required angle, I made the full depth cut through the void and then cut one of the recesses.  Of course, the flip side was recessed in the same manner, which I don't show.

I used my rotary milling head to cut the convex curve at the rear of the work piece.

and then with the vice at the required angle, I finished the slope on the rear side.

The last step done today was to finish the vertical rear face of the piece.

Still lots of work to do on these two uprights before they are complete.
Craig

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2021, 10:18:49 PM »
Thanks for stopping by.

Still working on the uprights.  Today I started forming the journal pockets to receive the bearing blocks for the main and secondary shafts.

The first procedure was to reduce the thickness of this portion of the work piece from ¾ inch to ½ inch.

Here I've just finished removing 1/8th inch thickness from the work piece.

And below I've completed the same operation on the opposite side.

Below I've started forming the attachment boss for the rack guide.

With the completion of this pass, I've surfaced the top of the bearing block pockets.

Below I've cut out the front bearing block pocket.

And below I've cut out the rear bearing block pocket.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel with this work piece.  Still several operations to complete before I can set these aside and start on something else.
Craig

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2021, 02:20:03 AM »
Craig,
I've been one of those lurkers in the background that don't say anything but keep adding to your views total. You've got an impressive bunch of parts done there. I like to see how you make parts with the Volstro's rotating head. Amazing machine and operator.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2021, 11:27:02 PM »
Hi Art, thanks for lurking. :ThumbsUp:  Great to hear from you.  I believe it's been a few years since we talked face-to-face, I'm thinking it was at Cabin Fever a few years ago.  Maybe, God willing, we can all get together again by next January. :pinkelephant:

Thanks also for those of you who silently stop by to see the latest.

Yesterday I started with profiling the webs at the top of these imitation castings.

After that it was time to profile the curves, also at the top .  Again I used my rotary milling head; and since Art specifically asked for some detail of it's operation; I give you the following video.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv3TqiLKl8Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv3TqiLKl8Y</a>

The last step in fabrication was drilling and tapping the holes used to attach the bearing caps and the rack guide.  The only difference between the left and right upright is the placement of the two holes in the center of the six that will be used to affix the rack guide.

After only quite a bit of cleanup, here is a view of the completed uprights.

I could have used standard 1/4-28 three inch bolts for the overcharge attachment bolts; but  modern bolts just wouldn't look 'right', so I decided to make my own.  Here I'm turning down a piece of hex stock to form the shaft of the bolt.

Once that was accomplished I threaded the end of the bolt with a pitch of 28 threads to the inch.

Just a bit of cleanup work left to surface the head of the bolt, once it was turned around in the lathe.

Finally, a view of the model so far, with the uprights attached to the table and the overcharge bolts and springs installed.
Craig

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2021, 11:45:49 PM »
Impressive work - sitting here watching along with jaw hanging down....

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2021, 12:03:38 AM »
Looks great Craig, lots of work represented in that shot!

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal