Help! > Specific Engine Help

Question about MEM Corliss

(1/5) > >>

Jasonb:
I've had a question from someone who hopes to build the MEM corliss at 1.5 times size and wonder if those involved with the design or anyone who has made it can comment.

It will be run on steam and looking at the drawings there is quite a large void at each end of the cylinder between end of cover and the piston at the full extent of it's travel. This is generally regarded as not ideal for efficient running so would it be better to have longer spigots on the cylinder covers to reduce these gaps to a minimum with due allowance for steam to get into the cylinder?  This is what is shown on the Thorp drawings and Simon's corless build also has a deep end cover.

Thanks in advance, J

gbritnell:
I haven't looked at the porting relative to the end of the piston stroke but possibly the piston rod end could be adjusted and a longer piston made. Either way would reduce the head space.
gbritnell

Jo:

--- Quote from: Jasonb on December 08, 2020, 07:57:26 AM ---I've had a question from someone who hopes to build the MEM corliss at 1.5 times size and wonder if those involved with the design or anyone who has made it can comment.

--- End quote ---

It would seem they have downloaded the drawings from MEM so that implies they are a member. We normally ask members to participate before we help to solve their model engine problems  ::)

Jo

Jasonb:
He is using the ones that Julius did on MEW and following Vince's build there. Thought that it may help others by raising the point here.

Thanks George, the piston is quite narrow so could possibly be thickended up but as there is 1/4" space each end and the passages are a long way in I think the thicker covers would be better.

Jo:

--- Quote from: Jasonb on December 08, 2020, 12:57:27 PM ---He is using the ones that Julius did on MEW and following Vince's build there. Thought that it may help others by raising the point here.

--- End quote ---

We won't hurt or embarrass him if he joins and posts about his build of our engine here   ::) It would also enable him to ask all of his questions without the problems associated with interpretation from having a "piggy in the middle"

Jo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version