Author Topic: Barstock Heinrici Anyone?  (Read 7384 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Barstock Heinrici Anyone?
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2021, 07:36:53 PM »
Thanks Graham, yes I must get that hoglet finished off ;)

Talking of Vee twins did you manage to get any workshop time and machine that flywheel or have you been flooded/frozen out of the workshop?

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2021, 11:41:03 AM »
Morning Jason.

A bit of both really, the nearby brook burst its banks and after torrential rain there followed snow.

I did however get to machine the flywheel casting, absolute joy. I would say it was done completely within 15 minutes.  The Iron turned exceptionally easy and produced nice tight Grey curls.

This weekend is looking reasonably good for making the new burner and a video, fingers crossed.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2021, 04:21:36 PM »
With two lots of Cyclocross streaming this weekend there was not so much progress but I did get the screws made for the engine ranging from M3 to M6, just a couple of nut still to do.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2021, 05:46:46 PM »
Progress is progress, looks good!
Congrats on having a runner too!

Dave

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2021, 04:50:16 PM »
Now that the engine is know to work my thoughts turned to the stand. I was not so keen on the screwed together from plate and angle that was shown on the drawings that I have based mine on so decided to weld one up to look more like a cast base but go my own way as I'm not keen on the "1/4 pipe" profile around the bottom of the originals.

Four pieces of 2mm mild steel were cut out with an thin disc in the angle grinder and then trimmed to size on the manual lathe. I then used the CNC to cut out the arch shape in each leaving 3 tabs to stop the waste moving about. There was a small amount of burring as the cutter ramped into the cut but OK once in had settled down into the cut. 4mm 3-flute carbide at 5000rpm and 300mm/min feed.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgUM5e0qp8c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgUM5e0qp8c</a>

I silver soldered on a stub of 22mm copper tube for the chimney before clamping the plates to a piece of 3 x 4 angle and tack welding them. My welding is nothing to get excited about but OK for this sort of thing.

Then the rest of the joint was run.

I added a top plate from 2.5mm thick material and then gave the welds an initial clean up with the grinder.

Next job is to add some feet and cut a hole in the top for the hot cap to pass through.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2021, 06:59:19 PM »
I used up some bar ends of 30mm steel to make the feet using the CNC to drill profile and round over the top outer edge before cutting off and silver soldering to the base.

I was asked on another forum about pickling black mild steel (hot rolled) to remove the mill scale so took this photo. 3 of the 4 sides had scale on them which a flap disc in the 4.5" grinder just skidded off except close to the welds so after the silver soldering I filled a shallow tray with brick cleaner and left to marinade for 40mins. You can see that the side to the right is now bright steel with the tide mark wrapping part way up the left side. Excuse the plants but I normally do it outside but it was raining so took cover in the greenhouse.

The other two sides were treated the same which removed all the scale and any soldering flux and then a final fine flap disc to key the surface for paint, you can also see the hole to clear the hot cap flange has been milled into the top plate.

I've also test run it on the base using one of the cheap portable camping stove burners and it romps away with the flame set right at it's lowest heat

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2021, 01:58:45 PM »
Well it's taken a bit longer to paint than usual as I went for something a bit different (no I have not deviated from Red! ). For some time I have toyed with the idea of painting an engine in something other than the usual bright new paintwork and bright though not blinged up bare metal, I quite liked the patinated bronze of Ralf's original but that was not the materials originally used so I got busy with my paint brushed and the airbrush as well as the usual spray cans.

I made up a simple base and milled a hole in it for a cheap camping stove burner that will run the engine at it's lowest setting and it will carry on running for quite a while once the head source is turned off. I have run it for several times for about 15mins each time and the jacket does not get particularly hot as you can easily hold your hand on it and that is without any cooling water plumbed up.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS1qC0vNTmU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS1qC0vNTmU</a>
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 02:13:16 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2021, 03:13:48 PM »
You know my sentiments Jason....  ;)

But what a beautiful job, the engine looks superb.

Cheers Graham.

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2021, 03:25:44 PM »
I am guessing the "distressed" look will have taken three times longer than a new paint job.
But it was well worth the effort, it looks just the business  :ThumbsUp:

Phil

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2021, 07:46:09 AM »
I was asked elsewhere how the painting was done so will repeat it here if anyone wants to have a go.

1. Prime the parts - Etch for the aluminium, High5 for flywheels and regular grey for the steel, couple of hours to dry.

2. Satin black spray can over the lot applied in a couple of coats, allow to dry overnight.

3. Apply mustard "resist" to areas where you want the black to show through with a sponge using a dabbing motion.

4. Gloss red spray can applied straight after the resist, 2-3 coats, allow to dry for an of hour.

5 With grey Scotchbrite pad and water rub the surface so red flakes off the resist also removing the resist at the same time. allow to dry over night.

6. with 400g wet & dry used wet rub down the paintwork to get the work areas thin enough so the black starts to show through.

7. using acylics and water apply rusty colours like Raw Unber, and Burnt Sienna blending and lifting off paint with a wet brush. add some Yellow Ochre to selected areas like the water connection threads and off corner.

8. Airbrush diluted Sepia acrylic to soften and blend the previous weathering, this also gives the rust stain to the bare metal like flywheel rims, pully and the screw/bolt heads.

9. Airbrush clear matt acrylic over the lot to seal it all in and tone down any of the gloss remaining on the red and allow to dry overnight

10. Assemble engine

11. Touch up and add sepia to shafts that had to be pushed through bearings during assembly.

That's it for the engine.

The stand was just red oxide coloured stove paint, resist, satin black stove paint, rubdown.

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2021, 09:59:40 AM »
Marvellous Jason, your work keeps getting better and better.

Andy

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2021, 11:45:04 AM »
Wow - both for the extra effort and the result. Don't get me wrong - I like classy shiny (not bling) - but this one looks like it had earned it's keep for years, followed by some years of neglect and finally a bit off TLC (cleanup + oil) :praise2:

It runs very nicely and smooth + the small wobble on one flywheel actually adds to the authenticity of well worn and from long time ago ....  Impressive.

Per

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2021, 01:10:18 PM »
I would like to say the wobble was added on purpose but it was not. I found that during running some condensation builds up in the cylinder which results in the piston rusting solid in the liner, my efforts to free it slightly twisted the crankshaft so now it has that slight wobble.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2021, 07:55:03 PM »
That is almost even better, as it would also had to be a mishap with a full size engine  ;)

Put it in the right kind of scenery - shoot a video - and it could have been mistaken for a full size in situ.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal