Author Topic: Barstock Heinrici Anyone?  (Read 7382 times)

Offline Bob

Re: Barstock Heinrici Anyone?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2020, 04:36:34 PM »
Nice work. Do you plan to fabricate the standards or chew them out of the solid?

Bob

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2020, 04:46:48 PM »
I think I will let the CNC chew them out of some 16mm aluminium after having bandsawn the rough profile, I've not shown any internal fillets but will either use a cutter with a rounded (convex) corner or a ball nose one to help give the cast look. Brake lever will be done the same way.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2020, 07:14:58 PM »
I've got a few more parts drawn out. One of the good things about barstock "castings" is that you can make them as true to the original as you want rather than have to slavishly follow what someone else has done where they may have left off details or altered things to make casting easier and/or cheaper.

To that end I have made the top and bottom flanges of the jacket different sizes as the top is smaller on photos I have studied, I've also put the water connections on opposite sides as well as adding a boss for a drain cock/plug. Not sure if I will add the flat for a water pump bracket to screw to as I quite like the look of the three step pulley that mounts to the flywheel hub instead of the pump drive plate.

The crankshaft will now have separate bearing caps, again something seen on all but the smallest of engines and I've also gone for a more typical crankshaft.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 06:37:02 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2020, 08:11:20 PM »
While waiting for some materials for the current engine under construction I thought I may as well get on with a couple of parts for the Heinrici as I had all the material in stock and the CNC had not been fired up for a couple of weeks so decided to do the levers that transfer the movement of the eccentric boss on the flywheel to the top of the pistons. To help with balance I went with 6082 Aluminium rather than have the weight of a heavier metal needing to be liften along with that of the pistons.

After drawing out in Alibre the exported files were opened up in F360 and the paths worked out. These were the first 3D parts since my old licence expired so I was limited in not having the "steep & Shallow" that I usually like to use but a combination of "scallop" for the upper curved surfaces and "ramp" for the steeper ones and vertical faces worked out quite well. I also did not have any rapids, not much of an issue with the two previously mentioned paths as the tool mainly stays down and in contact with the work, the Adaptive clearing probably took about 5mins longer than it would have with rapids enabled but that was not a problem. Hopefully all the info is in the video captions

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY4JoL9-skE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY4JoL9-skE</a>

The finished items after a quick "shoe shine" with a strip of Emery Cloth. I've already sleeved the middle one and will do the same to the forked end as unlike other versions I'm not keen on running the pivots in bare aluminium

I have also made a start on some of the components that will become the fabricated water jacket, the tube is 3" ERW tube with the wall thinned down to 2.5mm by boring it out.

The 3step pulley and brake adjusting knob were just straightforward turning jobs.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2020, 04:23:01 PM »
A bit of manual machining this weekend starting with the end plates that will form the top and bottom of the water jacket. After pickling the 10mm black bar was bored out as I felt this would be easier now than 100mm down inside the jacket plus it reduced the bulk of metal needed to be heated for soldering.

After soldering and another dunking in the pickle the jacket was brought down to overall length having allowed 0.5mm either end for a clean up pass.

Then onto the mill to trim around the top flange which I had left 1mm all round should it not line up perfectly with the bottom after soldering. Also drilled and tapped various holes for the main bearing brackets and brake adjuster bracket.

Then with it held between a pair of angle plates worked my way round milling the bosses back to length then drilling and tapping as required.

Offline Bob

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2020, 04:47:04 PM »
Very impressive progress.

Bob

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2020, 07:27:01 PM »
Looks good Jason, nice work!

Dave

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2020, 06:57:20 PM »
Back to a bit more swarf production on the CNC today.

The two brackets that support the crankshaft and rocker shaft were exported to F360 and the various adaptive roughing and finishing paths worked out for both sides. Rather than waste too much metal I printed out two profiles and laid these on some 16mm thick 6082 plate and nested then as close as possible then cut them out on the vertical bandsaw. The bottom and end of the foot were machined on the manual mill to give me a reference corner and the mounting holes added at the same time. I then drilled and tapped three M3 holes to be used to holed the part to my well used machining plate, the plate was setup and then drilled on the CNC so easy to line things up. 6mm 3-Flute carbide cutter uncoated and with a helix angle to suit aluminium loaded up and here it is ready to go.

This shot is at the end of the first 5mm high stepdown of the adaptive, the 5000rpm and 500mm/min feed producing decent chips without stressing the machine and within what I could blow/brush away manually.

This is at the end of the adaptive (roughing) which was set to leave 0.5mm to be removed by the finishing cuts.

I then changed to a 4-flute 4mm dia cutter with 1mm radius corner (convex) to do the rest of the work.

The second side was done in much the same way but with the tool not going around the outside of the work as that had been cut to full depth on the first setting.

I tend to judge how productive the day has been by the amount of swarf produced, F360 tells me that had I started with rectangular blocks then 84% would have been turned to swarf, as I nested them it was probably in the region of 65-70%. Some of the waste lumps will be used to make the caps from.

Once the caps have been made tomorrow I will bore the two shaft holes before softening all the edges and surfaces to get things looking a little more "cast"

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2020, 02:08:46 AM »
Nice progress Jason.
I hauled a pair of Martin 10” fly wheels home from one of the GEARS shows with the intent of doing exactly what you are doing, only in a larger size. Not sure if I will ever get to it, but sure would like to someday.

Dave

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2020, 07:12:05 AM »
Thanks Dave, that's going to be a big model!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2020, 06:55:54 PM »
So a couple of off cuts of the 16mm aluminium plate were put in the vice and milled to shape with a 4mm cutter with the 1mm corner radius so they matched the brackets.

Then mounted the other way up the holding piece was milled away before reducing the two clamp lugs to height

After drilling and tapping a few holes the caps were screwed into place and the holes for the crankshaft bearings and rocker shaft reamed. I used a couple of metric 20-40-80 blocks to provide a stop so that the second bracket could be slipped into the same position.

After Loctiting a bronze bush into the rocker shaft holes these were split with a 1mm wide slitting saw. The angle plate pressed up against the side of the bracket stops any tendency for it to flex as I'm gripping it my the bottom flange which is quite a way from the cut.

First of the brackets has had a start made of knocking off the corners and generally softening up the machined look so it more closely resembles a casting yet not incorporating some of the undesirable traits of certain castings.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2021, 04:40:40 PM »
The speed of the Heinrici engines could be controlled by the use of a friction brake so while the aluminium swarf was flying I thought I may as well make that from another piece of the 16mm thick 6082. This action shot is it part way through profiling the outside using a 10mm dia 2-flute cutter for aluminium at 5000rpm, full 16mm high x 0.5mm deep cut, I started with a feed of 300mm/min but as the job got thinner had to reduce that down to about 60%.

Then a change to a 10mm 4-flute cutter with 1mm corner radius to take it down to the various heights.

Looking at the available casting sets none seem to have the writing cast onto the side of the water jacket so I thought this would be a nice feature to add and if you are going to spend the time making a model then might as well get it as true as possible. I posted here about cutting the letters and this is them after an initial clean up.

The reason for cutting them from soft bending brass was so that each letter could be bent to the curve of the jacket which was done by simply sawing a concave face into a scrap of MDF which was used as a punch onto the letter as they sat on some of the tube used for the jacket.

A piece of narrow sign writers masking tape was used to get a horizontal line and the letters spaced by eye starting from the ctr line positions taken from the Alibre file and stuck on with JB Weld. I let it sit for just over an hour after taking this photo so that it thickened up a bit then set the final positions.

After a bit of a clean up I'm happy with how they turned out, will give them a couple of coats of high build primer filler and knock the edges back a bit more at a later date. Starting to look a bit more like a Heinrici now.

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2021, 09:49:05 PM »
That is superb Jason  :praise2:

Andy

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2021, 12:31:53 AM »
That is really starting to come together Jason!
The lettering adds some nice detail to the model.

Dave

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2021, 04:13:59 PM »
The two cast iron flywheels turned up today along with some barstock for other parts, I can see cast iron swarf featuring heavily in my upcoming workshop activity :) Good service from M-machine as only ordered yesterday.

Made a start on one of them getting the turning done prior to going on the CNC, I used the crank to gauge a nice firm push fit of the bore which should eliminate any tendency to wobble.

As Colin was asking about speeds for turning cast iron the other day I thought I would film the facing off of the excess material. 140mm dia, 425rpm, 0.75mm DOC, 0.075mm/rev feed. Quite reasonable chips and minimal dust, I find the 280 prefers to run a bit on the fast side with a slightly lighter cut rather than a slow speed and deeper cut but the 0.75mm or 30thou DOC soon got rid of the waste material.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwB9PeUSMpI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwB9PeUSMpI</a>
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 07:58:47 PM by Jasonb »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal