Author Topic: Barstock Heinrici Anyone?  (Read 7383 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Barstock Heinrici Anyone?
« on: December 06, 2020, 03:09:16 PM »
While others have started getting their Christmas castings in early I've let Santa treat me to a set of drawings for this engine and will be busy filling my stockings with barstock or possibly wood if I decide to make some patterns and get some of the parts cast.

http://www.de.heinrici-heissluftmotor.de/html/index.html

As you can see it's a bit different to the usual Westbury based designs that most models seem to be based on having the power piston concentric to the displacer.

Along with the A3 size drawings and a detailed build guide ( in German) there are a number of photos of an original engine both assembled and in pieces so should be able to get it looking fairly correct. Price was a very reasonable 20 Euro for digital drawings but Rolf will also do printed for 25 Euro and speaks (writes) good English.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Barstock Heinrici Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 03:38:29 PM »
As you can see it's a bit different to the usual Westbury based designs that most models seem to be based on having the power piston concentric to the displacer.

Westbury's Heinrici with its separate power cylinder is what is known as a Gamma Configuration Displacer type Hot Air engine. Your new Heinrici and the Rider-Ericsson engines with are known as Beta Configuration  Displacer type Hot Air engine.

I do like that one as well  :thinking:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 04:13:56 PM »
Did you see the third video Jo, could be handy if there is a power cut.

http://www.de.heinrici-heissluftmotor.de/html/videos.html

Can also be built with the little Heinrici water pump that would have run a fountain but seen here moving the cooling water. I like the ball and socket drive to the pump.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-U4f4_wFHY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-U4f4_wFHY</a>

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 05:25:19 PM »
What about a Gardner Jason?   ;)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 05:30:25 PM by Alyn Foundry »

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 06:18:27 PM »
While others have started getting their Christmas castings in early I've let Santa treat me to a set of drawings for this engine and will be busy filling my stockings with barstock or possibly wood if I decide to make some patterns and get some of the parts cast.

http://www.de.heinrici-heissluftmotor.de/html/index.html

Along with the A3 size drawings and a detailed build guide ( in German) there are a number of photos of an original engine both assembled and in pieces so should be able to get it looking fairly correct. Price was a very reasonable 20 Euro for digital drawings but Rolf will also do printed for 25 Euro and speaks (writes) good English.

That is an attractive engine

Dave

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 06:38:11 PM »
What about a Gardner Jason?   ;)

I think Dave has the answer to that one :LittleDevil:

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 06:45:35 PM »
And I do like the ball drive pump!

Dave

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 11:11:06 AM »
If anyone is interested Andy Ross published an article in Model Engineer for a Heinrici type back in the 70's or maybe early 80's. I always wanted to build it. He had a neat crankshaft design that used dowel pins.

Offline Bob

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 04:06:02 PM »
The ball and socket water pump drive is very cunning. The action causes the pump plunger to rotate on its axis and this opens and closes the ports in the water pump so it needs no non-return valves.

Bob

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 04:14:10 PM »
That's it bob, few sketches in this post of how it works

https://forum.zerspanungsbude.net/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=29837&sid=f0d0a9491b7cd949f494bfb53d016d06&start=20#p374361

There is a design for a steam engine that uses a similar principal, I've a couple of copies of a nice hand coloured one. I think a model one was published at some time in the past.

Offline Bob

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 04:50:00 PM »
I was thinking about laser cut parts for the engine and a cylinder fabricated from off cuts of steam pipe. Possibly about 3" bore. In Gerd Maier's CD for the Heinrici engines there are the patent drawings that give the geometry of the linkages.

Bob

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 07:16:22 PM »
Here is one on a different engine, I don't know anything about the engine it is just some photos I collected from eBay a number of years ago.

Dave

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2020, 11:24:42 AM »
That's a nice looking little engine Dave.

I've made a start on drawing this one up with a view to fabrication and cutting from solid rather than using the no longer available castings that the drawings are based on.

First image shows the Trace function being used in Alibre where an imported image, in this case a snip from the drawing file, can be shown on the screen and drawn over. The holes and bosses were located first to the dimensions.

Second image is where the trace comes into it's own as you can draw your lines and curves to follow the usually undimensioned "cast" parts of the casting. I've added a couple of features from the photos of original engines and may even go for a completely separate crankshaft bearing caps as it would make it easy for taking the engine apart.

Lastly the start of an assembly, the jacket with be fabricated from 10mm thick steel plates top and bottom with a length of 3" ERW tube between.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 06:34:53 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2020, 12:19:27 PM »
First image shows the Trace function being used in Alibre where an imported image, in this case a snip from the drawing file, can be shown on the screen and drawn over.

Are you using the latest Alibre Jason ?  I ask because I'm sure my not uptodate version hasn't got that feature - I have been looking as it would have been very useful last year.

Thanks for showing how you go about making this project  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2020, 12:28:22 PM »
Yes, I pay the yearly maintenance and get regular updates to latest version.

See third video down on the left column

https://www.alibre.com/mrenew/
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 12:33:43 PM by Jasonb »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal