Author Topic: 3D Printed Christmas presents (Sorta)  (Read 2012 times)

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
3D Printed Christmas presents (Sorta)
« on: December 03, 2020, 07:52:39 PM »
A couple of years ago I armed the Great Nephews, and Great Niece, with rubber band guns so they could defend themselves during the Zombie apocalypse. (You ever seen a Zombie touch a rubber band in a movie - me neither.  Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.)  This year I decided to give them a little mobility, and maybe give any shop elves something to go four wheeling in.

This year I'm doing RC conversions of the Bruder Cross-country Jeep.  The attachments show the prototype Jeep, which still appears to be relatively stock as far as Bruder is concerned.  The only noticeable difference is the four M3 button head bolts in each wheel rim, and they aren't THAT noticeable.  Everything that is white on the chassis has been designed and 3D printed by me.  On the prototype the parts are white, on the gifts all the parts will be printed in black.

I've replaced the front and rear axles and added four 360 RPM 6 volt N20 gearmotors.  It is still a Jeep after all, so it's GOTTA be 4WD.  I should be getting about 400RPM out of the motors at 7.4 volts, giving the Jeep a top speed of about 130 scale MPH.  I can tell you that it does scoot right along.  I retained the existing suspension, such as it was, but I did increase the suspension travel.

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: 3D Printed Christmas presents (Sorta)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 08:24:27 PM »
Very cool!  The RC truck/construction crowd often starts with the Bruder vehicles too for RC conversion.

I've used some of the 3D printed prototype engine bits from projects as ornaments, a little red or gold spray paint and a string to hange them.

Now, I think you are on to something about the zombies/rubber bands....   :Jester:

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 07:11:58 PM »
Very cool!  The RC truck/construction crowd often starts with the Bruder vehicles too for RC conversion.
Chris:

I've got a bunch of Bruder construction stuff that I have been stockpiling for RC conversion as retirement projects.  Last week I added a 1/16 scale diecast Case IH Quadtrac into the mix, the current plan is adding a scratch-built pan scraper for the Quadtrac.

Using it for the RC conversions was my original justification for a getting a 3D printer.  The second printer just kind of happened.  Now I'm seriously considering getting a resin printer, but I haven't been able to really justify it - YET!  The normal resins are too smelly, and the plant based resins that have less smell are SOOOOO expensive.

Who knows what'll happen if the tax refund is big enough. 

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 11:43:08 PM »
Chris:

I've got a bunch of Bruder construction stuff that I have been stockpiling for RC conversion as retirement projects.  Last week I added a 1/16 scale diecast Case IH Quadtrac into the mix, the current plan is adding a scratch-built pan scraper for the Quadtrac.

Using it for the RC conversions was my original justification for a getting a 3D printer.  The second printer just kind of happened.  Now I'm seriously considering getting a resin printer, but I haven't been able to really justify it - YET!  The normal resins are too smelly, and the plant based resins that have less smell are SOOOOO expensive.

Who knows what'll happen if the tax refund is big enough. 

Don
Sounds like a lot of fun!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal