Author Topic: Graphite string or O rings  (Read 3307 times)

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
Re: Graphite string or O rings
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2020, 09:23:33 AM »
Hi

Thanks for all the comments  :ThumbsUp:

Just been speaking to a guy named Richard at GLR Kennions (No connection) very helpful

He says they sell loads of them

Cheers

Rich

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2020, 11:24:54 AM »
Yes there are some 'exotic engineered plastics' out there that will stand the steam temperature .......and the test of time

They can also embed particulate contamination into the running surface and wear a 0.004" thick, ground deposit of HCP away to raw steel through simple low speed longitudinal motion friction   :toilet_claw:

Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline john mills

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2020, 04:16:06 AM »
I have machined a lot of rings and seals rider rings from ptfe filled materials lots of different ones from white  brown black gold colour contained  bronze.lots of them contained graphite  loft your hands black handling them.
if they were used with steam i don't know.i made rings     in every form you can think of.
Plain straight cut ,angle cut ,steps .  two piece  or three piece which steps at each join i believe they had pins to locate the jion. the material changes size depending on temperature  ,that would make it hard to work out what gap was needed.
i asked how these materials went with hard chrome and was told they didn't  they only had one material they would use .         they normally used a hard grade of carbide with a high rake for machining .the machine i used
mostly was the only one that used diamonds for turning.while the carbide is sharp the diamonds are not the sharpest cutting edges  but they worked on the machine i used only one of the materials would wear them so they would not work on the normal materials again  otherwise you would not think of changing tools for months at a time.             John 
 they normally finished the bores with a hone just like an automotive engine .

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2020, 01:00:00 AM »
Hi

Somewhere there was a discussion on o-rings for steam engines, and one suggestion was an Aflas O-Ring, can handle 450 degrees F.    Here is McMaster  link https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/126/3729.
I am currently fitting one of these to a 2" Case Traction Engine.

Bob
Thats an interesting material - being hard it wont squish in like viton or buna, is it more critical of the groove depth because of that? Being slippery is a plus.  They will still stretch a bit to go over the piston though?

Yes it had no trouble stretching over the 2" piston.  It took a bit of experimenting to get a wall pressure that let everything run smooth and still seal.

Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal