Engines > Your Own Design

Cosworth V8 1:12 scale

(1/15) > >>

Steve Crow:
A few months ago, I decided to have a go at making a 1:12 scale Cosworth V8 DFV Formula 1 engine.

It will be a 2-stroke running on air (or CO2?) with a bore of 7.2mm and a stroke of 5mm.

I want to share my progress so far as I’m sure I will need some advice.

After making the drawings, the first thing I did was make card models of the main components.

This helps me visualise things and see if any screws interfere with each other etc.

The block started life as 1” square mild steel bar.

I sawed of a piece about 3” long and this was clocked in the 4 jaw and eccentric bosses, on the crank centre line, were turned at both ends. This gave me an accurate way of holding it while boring out the cylinders and milling the block to shape. In the picture below, the milling is part done.

The block, milled to shape. The bores are a bit rough but true. They will have brass liners anyway.

The block was drilled and tapped and the sump blank bolted to it.

The whole assembly was then drilled and bored out as one piece and the bosses removed.

More to follow….

Steve

Steve Crow:
The next job was to remove some metal from the inside of the sump and the block to provide clearance for the con rods.

Here is the block, ready to be milled. Note the miniature brass V-blocks – very handy things. You can see they are numbered. This is to ensure repeatability when using them with a 4-jaw.

And here they are completed. The block now weighs 60g. The initial square blank weighed 370g. That might not sound a lot of swarf to you guys with big-boy’s lathes, but it made a mess of the kitchen table with my Sherline.

More soon.

Vixen:
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

gerritv:
Wow, this makes it real.

Gerrit

steamer:
Wow!  nicely done!    following along!   

:popcorn:

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index