Author Topic: meet Binky  (Read 2056 times)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
meet Binky
« on: November 09, 2020, 02:36:06 AM »
I have to say I've been laying out enough teasers on this machine. So here it is.

I have to say this was more machine than I was expecting at 2580 lbs. It was more than I was expecting. I havent figured out a lot on it yet but it is a Mitsui 8 X18 surface grinder. Same deal as the mill I recently got (If I sold it for scrap I'd make a profit). Same price haul it myself unload it myself. There was a lot about it I didn't know when I picked it up. For example the two bolts straight up from the base, there's one on each corner. Knowing they even existed or how they loaded it onto the pallet would have been wonderful. That knowledge would have simplified my life considerably. In the end I rented an 8 foot gantry and 3000 lbs chain hoist. Had I rented that in the first place life would have been easier. My wife was an important part of picking it up and placing it where it is right now, I couldn't have done it without her. Thus the name. We were sitting back relaxing after having set it vertical in it's new home and she said it needs a name. She proceeded to throw out a few names like sparky etc. Apparently the only name I responded to was Binky, personally I think it was one of those WTF moments, what's that mean, oh. I realize it's no Mr. Silky but I think it's on par with the same idea. I have some cleaning and reassembling to do but it's a good machine. I don't know exactly how to use it, I have to figure out power, 220 volt 3 phase. I have 110 and 220 single phase. Need to fire off an email about that. I must say I think I have to much stuff going on all at the same time. The stuff you cant see in the photo is the magnetic chuck the surround and the coolant pump. As I said earlier some assembly required. It was to large to fit through the door of my shop so it is in the garage proper.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: meet Binky
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 03:01:52 AM »
Congrats Art!
I’m sure that you will get it all figured out.

Dave

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 03:02:12 AM »
Oh my, Binky is a big un!  If its out in the garage, Binky will need a blanky!!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 03:48:45 AM »
Nice grinder! wish I had the room for even a small one. Just something about acres of gleaming fresh ground tool steel flat and straight to less than a thou........miss my days in various toolrooms - can you tell?
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 07:40:24 AM »
 8) 

It is known that women often name things as a sign of affection (and it also makes it easier to say naughty words about them  ::) ). I am pleased to see your wife already is showing affection towards it  :ThumbsUp: this may be a good sign for when you want to spread your own affection on it from your wallet  ;)

I am sure Binky will give you good service over the years. I would like a surface grinder but I don't have the space  :-\

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 03:45:07 PM »
Thanks everyone,
I only have it because the car still fits in the garage. I thought it was a smaller machine till it was home. I hope to never need it moved while under my watch. I'll take the blanky under consideration.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline kvom

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 03:56:28 PM »
For power get a VFD sized to the motor.  220V 2PH in, 3PH out.  I use Automation Direct for the VFD for my Bridgeport and it's been flawless for 10 years.  Not sure what you'd need for the coolant pump or hydraulics.

It appears that your grinder has hydraulic drives so you won't need to spend lots of time turning the handwheels.  Still, doing manual at first is a good learning experience. 

If the machine doesn't hand one you'll need a diamond wheel dresser.

Lots of good youtube videos on how to grind.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 04:27:03 PM »

"It appears that your grinder has hydraulic drives"

Which sometimes translates to "accelerated wheel destruction device" or "workpiece launcher"  :Lol:

(Don't ask me how I know....... a manual spark-out, with very small Z movements until spark-out, is a very good idea always )   :cheers:

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 09:37:36 PM »
I've spent a lot of time on cylindrical grinders both manual & cnc but I think the last time I ran a surface grinder was in tech school. A angle plate, step blocks, 1 2 3 blocks and a v block. that was a long time ago.
Art
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 02:51:15 AM by Art K »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 09:42:19 PM »
Is a surface grinder like that used to true/smooth faces already close to dimension, or can they take off a significant thickness as well?

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 10:32:24 PM »
Surface grinders were used for finishing and dressing ops only, in shops I have been involved with. If you have time for many passes you could remove as much as you want, of course, in theory. Most commercial shops are always counting seconds though, so roughing is done on mills and other cutting tools and finish grinding is done on grinders.

If too much is removed per pass on tool steels particularly, you can get an overheating effect called "heat checking" where microcracks occur on the surface, looking like a dried up lakebed in the desert, but smoother. Sometimes the steel goes blue or brown near the cracks if it is really bad.

A max of a thou per pass is a good starting point. For tests on materials not ground before, half a thou per pass is safer. Grinding anything except steel or iron alloys when using common aluminum oxide (white) wheels was a major no no - materials other than steel or iron alloys can load the wheel and cause wheels to burst, and in some cases the dust itself from non ferrous metals can explode or burn. For grinders in general, it is a good idea to grind only steel and iron alloys, for safety. Many readers will likely know all this already of course, just mentioning it in the context of Art K's new surface grinder.   :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 11:06:18 PM »
Thanks for the description CNR, I've never been around that kind of machinery before.   :ThumbsUp:

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 02:58:06 AM »
Yeah and my experience was probably 38 years ago. But I couldn't pass up the opportunity. The machine was cheaper then renting the moving rig.
Art

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 03:06:15 AM »
Yep - that’s a “never look a gift horse” moment right there. Nice aquisition!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal