Author Topic: Ignition module  (Read 5238 times)

Offline Doc

• USA ND
Re: Ignition module
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2020, 05:00:46 AM »
I made plugwire caps (boots) or ends insulators for my plug wires on the Little Demon V-8 engines I built also distributor ends also.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxIhzgEeL5o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxIhzgEeL5o</a>

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2022, 01:39:37 PM »
Here is another simple idea for making spark plug caps.

Many of the Chinese 40 TPI spark plugs, we all use, have a 4mm terminal. For these spark plugs, we can use a female 4mm bullet connector and some heat shrink tubing. I soldered the plug lead wire to the outside of the bullet connector and crimped the tabs over.

I used standard 5mm heat-shrink tubing. A short piece over the crimp joint and a second, longer piece to partially cover the spark plug insulator at one end and to form a bend relief at the cable end. The bullet connectors are made from hard (and springy) brass which does not like to be bent through 90*. So the bullet connectors must be used as straight plug caps. A permanent bend can be formed in the heat-shrink bend relief if it is formed before the heat-shrink has cooled.

Here is one I did earlier, fitted to my Westbury Seal.

Neat and inexpensive and they seem to grip the spark plug well. Of course, you can always tighten the grip with a pair of pliers

Cheers

Mike

It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2022, 06:46:25 PM »
Great idea Mike  :praise2:  and an easy one for me, if I ever need one, as I got plenty Bullet Connectors in stock for the older of my bikes  :D

They really look the part on your engine too  :ThumbsUp:     :cheers:

Per

Offline gadabout

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2022, 08:32:09 PM »
Mike,
Nice! But hey the Seal seems to have progressed considerably since the last build update! Or have I missed something?
Has it been run yet?
Regards
Mark

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2022, 10:22:55 PM »
Hello Mark,

The Seal has been 'on hold' for most of the last year. The engine, clutch and two speed/ reverse gearbox were being built specifically to power the 1/6 scale Universal Carrier model. Unfortunately when the UC model kit was released, it had far too many technical issues, so I cancelled the order and lost motivation to complete the Seal. The UC problems included tracks which did not fit the drive sprockets, A poor design of differential which made steering difficult and several other issues. Clearly a rush job to get something onto the market.

I'll get back to the Seal one day

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline gadabout

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2022, 12:22:30 AM »
Mike,
Please do! I want to see it finished as it will be without doubt the finest Seal ever built!!!
Regards
Mark

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2022, 09:50:26 AM »
clutch and two speed/ reverse gearbox were being built

clutch and gear box for the seal !
could we have a look at this marvel someday ?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal