Author Topic: Model Heinrici Engine  (Read 12677 times)

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
Re: Model Heinrici Engine
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2020, 04:11:27 PM »
Oh my goodness Jo, just over 2 Kg....  :o

That is just over 200 grams  ::)

The rod weighs 50 grams.. so the displacer is only 3/4 of the weight.

Jo

Thanks Jo, I've edited my post....

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2020, 04:15:57 PM »
 ;)

I'm going to fit a cooling tank and then see if it will run before I modify anything

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2020, 04:45:37 PM »
;)

I'm going to fit a cooling tank and then see if it will run before I modify anything

Jo

That's definitely the best approach Jo.   :)

Cheers Graham.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2020, 05:23:54 PM »
I see from the bit of drawing hiding behind Jo's displacer that its shown as 20g which is 0.91mm, i've got similar diameter brass tube with a 0.45mm wall so that's an immediate 50% weight reduction and the couple of mm over dia that Jo's tube looks to be (42 vs. 39) would have added about 5%

If you went over to 0.5mm wall aluminium tube and end plates you could get it down even more, I've seen Heinricis with them made of this and would bring the weight without rod down to about 60g.

As for the rod could it be a tube or smaller diameter?

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2020, 06:07:21 PM »
Before I change anything I am going to see if, with the cooling system fitted, it will run.

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2020, 03:18:36 PM »
With the two water adapters fitted and a quick lash up of a tank it was time to see if it would run. Having first unintentionally washed the bench I then decided it was best if both water pipes were fitted rather than leaving one off to get rid of any air bubbles.  ::)

On applying some heat another bubble started forming on the upper water fitting and this bubble went in and out when the engine went round and round  :wallbang: This means only one thing :facepalm: A Water leak  :toilet_claw:

Having disassembled it there are not many choices as to where the leak could be  :disappointed: and yes there it is  :wallbang:  :wallbang:

The jacket was heated up to get the Loctite to let go and the liner gently tapped out with a hide mallet. I am assuming that the aluminium jacket expanding did not help the seal so I will try something different to seal it tomorrow :thinking: In the mean time it needs to cool.

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2020, 03:23:11 PM »
You could just blow compressed air through it for initial testing then finally seal it all up once you know there will not be any mechanical alterations to make.

Plenty of O ring seals on the one I have just posted about :)

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2020, 03:30:26 PM »
I know, you know that this can be a major problem where " dissimilar " metals are used Jo.

The solution would be either to use an " O " ring at the bottom end or perhaps easier to use a more flexible sealant like Silicon Rubber.

Cheers Graham.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2020, 03:44:09 PM »
The solution would be either to use an " O " ring at the bottom end or perhaps easier to use a more flexible sealant like Silicon Rubber.

Thanks Graham, I was considering both of those  ;) I will need to clean up the Loctite first and I think a protective layer of high temperature clear lacquer might be applied to the outside of the liner.

I wonder if the liner could be aluminium  :thinking:

Jo

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2020, 05:18:05 PM »

I wonder if the liner could be aluminium  :thinking:

Jo

Indeed it could Jo.

If I recall correctly Andy just used nearly the whole length of a an old shock absorber that was carried right through the water jacket and on down to the hot end. A single " O " ring ( at the bottom end of the water jacket ) allowed for its expansion.

This method made construction of the engine very easy and reduced the sealing issues to an absolute minimum.

Cheers Graham.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2020, 10:23:22 AM »
The one item missing on this design is a pully to drive anything. I thought originally I may have been able to use this to provide a sort of crankshaft counterweight but the pulley I tried doing it with proved to be made of horrible stuff  :disappointed: So I remade it in aluminium and drilled the six spokes to enable it to be screwed on the side.

Having made it I found it went wobbly, wobbly  :facepalm2: A quick skim of the face of the spokes and it now goes round and round without wobbly, wobbly  :)

After various attempted designs at balancing the weight of the displacer I think the appropriate one is what my original half scale Westbury engine has so that is going to be the next job.

Jo

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2020, 01:34:19 PM »
Looks good Jo!
Any closer to going round and round with a fire?

Dave

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2020, 01:41:24 PM »
If you went with a hub mounted 3 step pully like the originals had then if made from iron or steel you could hollow out an eccentric hole at the back of the pulley which would help with balance. With a bit of cunning the modified hub could be made from a mix of aluminium on one side and steel on the other to add more hidden counter balance.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2020, 01:50:49 PM »
Hopefully once the crankshaft balance problem is solved Dave :)

I'm finding it hard to spend long in the workshop as I normally have the radio on and all I am hearing is of peoples Christmases that have been ruined (because we have been told at the last minute the freedom that the Government had offered have been taken away and worse constraints put in place instead  :toilet_claw: ) and all of those poor (mainly EU) lorry drivers stuck on the roads down to and all around Dover because France has closed the boarders due to the UK doing sequencing of the Covid virus and identifying a new more virulent one, which looks like it is already all over the continent any way  :rant: I've had enough of this Pandemic  :-[

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2020, 01:51:44 PM »
If you went with a hub mounted 3 step pully like the originals had then if made from iron or steel you could hollow out an eccentric hole at the back of the pulley which would help with balance. With a bit of cunning the modified hub could be made from a mix of aluminium on one side and steel on the other to add more hidden counter balance.

That's what I looked into originally doing but have a better plan  ::)

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal