Author Topic: Model Heinrici Engine  (Read 12676 times)

Offline samc88

Re: Model Heinrici Engine
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2020, 03:42:52 PM »
Looking good

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2020, 07:54:59 PM »
Great to see that you had some good time in the workshop Jo and nice result too  :cheers:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2020, 04:46:33 PM »
Thanks for following along Guys  :)

Having removed another unintended feature  :ShakeHead: The four jacket studs have been made and two nice bolts for the power cylinder.

Work has begun on the displacer connecting rod. initially I was confused by the fact the engine came with two rods but it became apparent that the intention was to cut a cap from one and use the other  :) A slitting saw was used to cut off the required bits and they have been joined using two set screw as shown on the drawing  :thinking:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2020, 04:00:18 PM »
The displacer rod has been drilled and reamed and a bit of fettling done.

While the slitting saw is out I have also split the A-frame bearings which allows me to adjust the bearings. As Graham likes to talk about the skipping man here is the one on this Heinrici:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT2a1PMWg8Q" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT2a1PMWg8Q</a>

It does remind me of a kiddies toy  ::)

Jo
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 03:26:05 PM by Jo »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2020, 03:01:53 PM »
The displacer rod is just a piece of old printer stainless which has had two flats milled on either side to reduce the width down to 4.75mm so it can fit into the slot on the rod.

The displacer itself is made from a piece of stainless Exhaust repair. Fractionally bigger and thicker than shown on the drawings but adequate. I decided on making this fit with a flange rather than a screw thread which is likely to gum up in use   :-\ The flange is a piece of come-in-handie-no-idea-where-I -got-it-from bronze, the top turned to fit the jacket liner and the bottom turned to fit onto the exhaust piece, with a 1mm spacer left between the two to ensure the stainless does not drop through when silver soldered.

I chose to drill the mounting holes in the flange and drill/tap the ones in the platform before doing the silver soldering.

I first silver soldered on the end plate, then the flange. I learnt on the Rider-Ericsson it is easier to hand file the end plate round once silver soldered rather than trying to turn it  ::)

Only the displacer left now  8)

Jo

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2020, 10:15:25 PM »
Looks like you had a really good day in the shop Jo  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2020, 03:24:28 PM »
Thanks Per  :) , I seem to be feeling better of late so I hope to be back on the Halls shortly.

The Displacer has been made out of a gummy old bronze relief valve top, a piece of brass tube and the centre of a piece of brass I trepanned out of something  :noidea: I should have used a piece of brass for the top rather than doing the recycling but the only piece I could have taken it out of was a piece of 50mm diameter and it seemed too much of a waste  :paranoia:

The recycled piece of bronze was turned up and threaded before checking the clearance on the bottom of the top cover. At 20mm it seemed a bit big but a calculation on showed it would be the same 20mm under the displacer at the other end  :ThumbsUp:

The tube was shortened so that the finished displacer would be 140mm long and first the piece of plate then the bronze top silver soldered into place. After cleaning up you can still see something of the original fluting on the piece of bronze but it will be hidden inside so no one will ever know  :-X

All the bits are made other than the gaskets. I still need to slit the power piston rod and drill through to the displacer cylinder and sort out the water tank and plumbing and then we should be there   :wine1:

Jo

« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 03:27:59 PM by Jo »

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2020, 05:02:40 PM »
Looking good  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :)  :wine1:

Does your 'come-in-handie-no-idea-where-I -got-it-from bronze' piece have a thread in the bore? I think I have something similar in my come-in-handie-no-idea-where-I -got-it-from bronze drawer section  ;)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2020, 05:07:14 PM »
thanks Roger,

The piece of bronze: Yes, it did  ;)

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2020, 02:19:11 PM »
I have squared up the cylinder and its head so the two of them match, then drilled and tapped the two water holes for the fittings. Cut some gaskets and fitted them.

The last job for today was to loctite the liner to the jacket. This is now sitting on the night storage heater so it is warm enough for the loctite to go off. Once that is set I can think about drilling through the engine platform into the bore of the liner with everything secured together.

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2020, 11:25:55 AM »
Graham and I have been discussing the rather heavy displacer. So I decided to weight it with and without the rod  :o Looking at Westbury's original engine it has balance weights on the crank and opposite the pin. To get some idea of the sort of weight I could achieve I checked a pair of old Triple balance weights  :thinking:

While I think about that I decided to drill through for the air way from the main cylinder to the power cylinder.

Balance weights  :thinking:  :thinking:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2020, 12:35:07 PM »
So why does the model one need counter balance weights when the originals don't seem to have them?

Is the material being used the the displacer thicker than originally used?

Seems a shame to spoil the original look of the engine buy adding weights so could a thinner wall tube be found or given that a small pully was used to take off a drive there is no reason that the aluminium flywheel rims need to be left bare except for bling. Could pockets be machined into the rims and filled with lead, the opposite side could have a similar pocket filled with a bit of PU foam and smoothed over with filler.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2020, 02:53:39 PM »
So why does the model one need counter balance weights when the originals don't seem to have them?

Don't know I am sure Graham will explain all to us  ::)

The last exciting bit was splitting the con rod big end using a slitting saw  :paranoia:

Initial round and round testing has shown that it needs more round and round testing as the power cylinder is a little sticky when the piston gets to the top. Having applied a little heat I can confirm that there seems to be a bit of a push there but it is all getting hot so it needs its cooling tank .

The problem is what to use as a cooling tank  :noidea: And then a bit of plumbing is needed  :thinking: Before a magic finger  :)

Jo

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2020, 03:53:07 PM »
Oh my goodness Jo, just over 2 Kg....  :o

Ok, edit time. The decimal point was rather obscure initially until I blew the photo up a bit. Perhaps not as bad as I first thought.

( I don't think the engine will develop enough " puff " for that amount of weight. )

I've attached a photo of the Robinson displacer piston and rod assembly, you can see why this engine runs as well as it does.

We need to think of a material that is both lightweight and heat resistant, after all, we're only " displacing " the air from one end to the other. No sealing required.

Cheers Graham.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 03:59:07 PM by Alyn Foundry »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2020, 04:05:19 PM »
Oh my goodness Jo, just over 2 Kg....  :o

That is just over 200 grams  ::)

The rod weighs 50 grams.. so the displacer is only 3/4 of the weight.

Jo
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 04:10:15 PM by Jo »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal