Author Topic: Align Power Drawbar Problem  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Twizseven

Align Power Drawbar Problem
« on: October 26, 2020, 09:44:16 PM »
My Gate PBM2000 (Bridgeport clone) has an Align Power Drawbar fitted.  This is a great device as I have a somewhat knackered right shoulder.  It has worked great until today.  It pulls the R8 tooling into the spindle without any issues.  Trying to release tooling is a totally different case.  It appears to have a totally lack of power.  It will undo the drawbar eventually but it sounds very strained.

I have checked the threads in all the R8 tooling and they are clean as a whistle.  I have released the power drawbar mechanism from the top of the head. I can move the drawbar no problem.  I can do up and release tooling quite happily using a spanner.  There was some damage to the splines on the top but I guess this is always going to happen to a certain extend as the drive nut is thrown/pushed onto the drawbar.  The slight damage has been cleaned up with a file.

The power drawbar appears to pull onto the drawbar without any issues.

The compressor is running okay and air is supplied at the 90psi suggested.

Has anyone experience this problem or got any ideas.

Thanks,

Colin

Offline cnr6400

Re: Align Power Drawbar Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 12:58:03 AM »
Hi Colin, may be a dumb question, but have you run some air tool lube oil through the drawbar drive air motor lately? Most air tools need a good dose of this at regular intervals. Sorry if you already knew this and do it often.  :cheers:

PS if the Align unit has a separate air piston driving the motor up and down for drive / eject you might get some oil into that also, and check the valve operation. :shrug:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline nj111

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 09:49:26 AM »
Mine is a different brand but in effect the same thing as you have there, but I find I need to drop the quill just 1mm or so for the system to work quickly and freely. I've never looked into it in detail to figure out why!
Nick

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 08:36:03 PM »
Having spoken to Gates technical man today and sent him some photos of the top of the drawbar.  He is of the opinion I need replacement drawbar.  So quick order in this afternoon and hope it arrives tomorrow.

Only downside is I need to swing the head through 90 degrees to get enough clearance to remove the drawbar.  This means a bit more practice at tramming the head.

Colin

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 07:53:19 PM »
Replacement drawbar turned up yesterday with a FOC hardened washer to support the drawbar above the spindle.  I believe the washer as supplied is not hardened.  It is also 1.5mm thicker so pushes the splines on the end of the drawbar a little further into the drive nut (called a clutch by Gates).

Rather than turn the head 90 degrees to remove the drawbar found it was easier to just nod the front down by about 20 degrees and this gave enough clearance to remove and refit. Powered it all back up and pressed the button to pull a tool in, all okay.  Pressed button to release and all back to normal.  :whoohoo:

At least the drawbar was the cheaper of the possible options.

Jut have to tram head up now.

Colin

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 12:16:11 PM »
Colin,

My good friend, who also is a Lotus man, solved the tilting head problem when he had a shop in his basement. He cut a hole in the floor for the drawbar!

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 11:56:53 PM »
I suggested I did that to my wife. Trouble is the hole would have needed to go through the garage ceiling, up between the joists, through the bedroom floor and also a hole in the carpet under the bed

My suggestion received no merit.  :hammerbash:

So nodding the head was best of available options.

Colin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal