Author Topic: Essex Hot Air Engine  (Read 14123 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Essex Hot Air Engine
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2021, 10:52:48 PM »
Very impressive work - really like how you pre-bent the ends before rolling the cylinder.    :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2021, 05:37:14 AM »
Amazing work, Dave.  Love the clear step by step.   :popcorn:

Very impressive work - really like how you pre-bent the ends before rolling the cylinder.    :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Definitely!  I'll be borrowing that technique to use in the future.  I also really liked using the 3/16 rod as a datum for  centering the larger holes on the cylinder.

Always learn something good from your post, Dave!
Kim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2021, 02:25:02 AM »
Chris, Kim,
Thanks for checking in, and the nice comments; they are always appreciated.

Dave

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2021, 12:29:20 AM »
Hi Guys

I haven’t had much time to work on the Essex in the last while so this will be a quick update to show what progress I have made.

I got my cylinder casting back from my friend with the hone; he did a beautiful job as he always does. I was able to spend some time a couple weekends back and finish fettling both of the cylinder castings. There was quite a bit of hand work removing the casting flash from the fins and blending everything in. I’m pleased with how they turned out. I still need to drill the mounting holes in the feet.

The other small project that was completed was to make a complete set of hardware for the engine. I should have done it when I made the two long ones for the burner but didn’t think that far ahead.

I decided to try O-Rings to seal the transfer tube; this will allow the disassembly of the engine and not have to deal with some sort of sealer. I purchased some high temp Viton O-rings and already had the proper cutter in the drawer left over from a previous job. The photo shows one of the cylinder castings after cutting the groove. I put the groove under one of the cooling fins to keep the casting from getting too thin.

The round head machine screws were turned on each end of a piece of 12L14 stock. Most of this was shorts from making other parts.
After turning the small end they were parted off to length, flipped around and a form tool used to machine the radius. Then over to the mill and the slot cut.

Here is a shot of everything needed to hold the engine together.

Here are a couple family shots of the engine with freshly fettled cylinder castings, transfer tube and all shiny new hardware.

And a shot from the rear showing the nicely honed power cylinder. Now I will be able to fit the power piston when the time comes.

Thanks for stopping by.
Dave
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 12:32:32 AM by Dave Otto »

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2021, 03:09:31 AM »
Dave,
I just got caught up reading. I think I'm glad I'm not building this engine, took a lot of imagination to come up with setups to machine some of those delicate parts. Looking great as I have come to expect from you.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Online Twizseven

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2021, 08:19:13 AM »
Looking fantastic.  :praise2:
Colin

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2021, 04:06:47 PM »
Awesome work, Dave  :ThumbsUp:. I also just got caught up on your thread. I thought I was watching it; but, I neglected to click the "Notify" button. Glad I found it again.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2021, 08:56:24 PM »
Looks more and more amazing the more you add to it  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2021, 12:15:49 AM »
Hi Guys
Thank you for all the nice comments, appreciated as always.

Dave

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2021, 12:57:32 AM »
Hi guys

The next piece to work on will be the power piston, the piston is constructed of multiple parts that screw together to form an air tight assembly. The parts that make up the assembly are the Piston, Small End Bearing, and Piston Extension which is a silver soldered assembly, there is also a gasket that goes between the Piston and Piston Extension.

Here is a shot of the print for the piston parts.

The piston itself started out as a suitable piece of cast iron round bar.

The piston was turned and bored.

Then parted off from the parent stock.

The piston was lightly held in a V-block to facilitate drilling the hole pattern in the flange. Note the small rod under the piston to keep it from being pushed own while drilling. The piston was left oversize and will be fit to the bore later on; oil grooves will also be added.

Similarly the end plate for the piston extension was turned, then drilled and parted off.

The end plate was tapped using my under construction UPT.

The Small End Bearing (where the wrist pin goes) was supposed to be a silver soldered fabrication. I chose to machine it from solid cast iron stock. Here the diameters have been turned and sawed from the bar stock.

Next the hole for the wrist pin was drilled and reamed.

Pair of soft jaws were machined to accept the part for both operations. The small diameter is held for the first side.

Then the part is flipped over and the second side is machined, the screw holes are also drilled in this step. For both milling operations, a drill blank was inserted in the hole and indicated parallel to the X axis of the mill.

Here is a closer shot of the bottom side.

And one of the top, or the side that you would see if you looked into the piston. I’m pleased with how the bearing turned out.

Thanks for checking in, more to follow.

Dave

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2021, 12:59:32 AM »
Looking mighty good. Good to see an update.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2021, 05:14:16 AM »
That is really nice-looking Dave. Just love seeing your updates.  Your execution is always so clear, crisp, and clean.

Thanks for taking the time to post them.
Kim

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2021, 07:02:28 AM »
Looks very nice, is there much work between it coming off the machine and the pictures in your hand or are you using a very small stepover?

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2021, 07:15:13 AM »
Lovely work on machining the castings Dave  :)

An observation: I don't think this is a model for beginners  ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2021, 09:30:17 PM »
Hi Dave, these parts are art.
Kind Regards
Achim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal