Author Topic: A V8 maybe  (Read 225476 times)

Offline metalmad

• Australia Skype - metalmad11
Re: A V8 maybe
« Reply #780 on: February 15, 2015, 01:44:32 PM »
dropped in to see my Mate Ausdier today, He let me use his punch set to number the Rods.
Throughout this Build he has helped with Welding, the occasional tool loan, Cad Drawings, Machine storage and even helped me move into my new house when things got a little tough.
I have a set of gear cutters coming on a slow boat from China to do the Dizzy Helicals So this week while I wait I'll clean up the sides of the Rods and get the weights the same.
Pete

A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit

Offline metalmad

« Reply #781 on: February 22, 2015, 06:26:08 AM »
Well my cutters turned up so I better start thinking about some Helicals for the Dizzy.
The Cam still needs to be done but otherwise I guess I'm about ready to have a go.
Pete

« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 11:42:13 AM by metalmad »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #782 on: February 22, 2015, 07:43:21 AM »
Good luck with the Helical gears Pete  :ThumbsUp:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline metalmad

« Reply #783 on: February 22, 2015, 10:41:32 AM »
Thanks Jo
I recon I need all the Luck I can get  :lolb:
By the way do you have a link to "Marve's handy worksheet" unfortunately my computer is 64 Bit and will not play any of his programs  :killcomputer:
Pete
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 12:41:01 PM by metalmad »

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
A V8 maybe
« Reply #784 on: February 22, 2015, 11:16:34 AM »
Hi Pete,
Things are looking great, you must have settled in to the new place very comfortably. I think you may have been a bit south of the cyclone, but it's possibly a bit wet at the moment.
Who did you get your 20dp cutters from? I find the imperial ones quite difficult to locate! Module are dime a dozen.

Cheers, Hugh.

Offline metalmad

« Reply #785 on: February 22, 2015, 11:36:47 AM »
Hi Hugh
My new Shed is full again and in such a mess it takes half a day just to find my tools  :lolb: :lolb: but its dry at least on the inside  :ThumbsUp:
I got the Cutters from this site
 http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Diameter-50mm-HSS-8H-Set-8-Pcs-Dp20-PA14-1-2-No-1-8-Involute-Gear-Cutters-/261549603421?
It only took about a week to get here and certainly look the part. Although I have not used them yet, they came well protected with Wax paper in a box and some kind of heavy wax on the cutters themselves, I am very happy with them so far!
Pete
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 11:43:12 AM by metalmad »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #786 on: February 22, 2015, 02:49:35 PM »
Hi Pete, I cut my first helix gears when I built my Benson using Chuck Fellows jig. It was easy to do once you calculate the triangle to wrap around the jig. By the way to use Marv's programs in the 64 bit software you will need Dos Box. Just do a search on line and download it. Did I say nice work?

Don

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #787 on: February 28, 2015, 12:57:25 AM »
Theoretically, since the programs are written in C, one could re-compile using something like MinGW so that the programs are run from Windows Console as 64bit native programs - still technically not "Windows" :D
(This signature intentionally left blank)

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #788 on: February 28, 2015, 07:38:46 AM »
Are all the .h library files present ?

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #789 on: February 28, 2015, 02:11:37 PM »
I had a quick look, while the programs do come with a source file, it is not complete. You would need to ask the author for the header and library file(s).

Offline rodw

• Vehicle Modifications Network
« Reply #790 on: March 01, 2015, 05:40:43 AM »
I had a quick look, while the programs do come with a source file, it is not complete. You would need to ask the author for the header and library file(s).

There appears to be no libraries required for this program. There are heaps of #defines but only a few of them are used. 3 #defines are missing but at an educated guess, this is what they should be
Code: [Select]
#define PI 3.14159265359      // pi
#define RPD 0.0174532925      // Radians Per Degree
#define DPR 57.2957795        // Degrees Per Radian

What else could they be? The letters align and we are using trig.

One of the cheapest C compilers out there is for the Arduino (FREE - but the hardware costs $10) and you can use the serial port monitor to type data. So cleaning it up, you end up with the attached sketch.

Try it against some known sample data and see how it goes.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 05:44:29 AM by rodw »
RodW
Brisbane, Australia

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #791 on: March 01, 2015, 08:34:49 AM »
I hope we aren't derailing this thread...    :paranoia:

printf ("Chuck Fellows' Helical Gear Calculations\n");

vin ("\nNumber of teeth",&N,"lf",6.,""); <-- this won't compile

Earlier in the C source file:

/*
generalized io functions (now in MWK.LIB)
void vin (char *prompt, void *x, char *format, dbl def, char *udef);

I saw that comment and realised that these functions are being imported from this MWK.LIB, which are statically linked. at that point, I stopped, er, "compiling" and came to my conclusion :)

If the author won't provide the library source, you'd have what appears to be quite a few utility functions to re-implement from scratch

*Edit: I think we've helped clarify that installing DosBox is the easiest solution  :toilet_claw:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 09:36:05 AM by brendonm »

Offline rodw

• Vehicle Modifications Network
« Reply #792 on: March 01, 2015, 09:51:46 AM »
I hope we aren't derailing this thread...    :paranoia:

printf ("Chuck Fellows' Helical Gear Calculations\n");

vin ("\nNumber of teeth",&N,"lf",6.,""); <-- this won't compile

Earlier in the C source file:

/*
generalized io functions (now in MWK.LIB)
void vin (char *prompt, void *x, char *format, dbl def, char *udef);

I saw that comment and realised that these functions are being imported from this MWK.LIB, which are statically linked. at that point, I stopped, er, "compiling" and came to my conclusion :)

If the author won't provide the library source, you'd have what appears to be quite a few utility functions to re-implement from scratch

Acknowledged re OT but if Pete hasn't got his helix template sorted, we might be able to help him.
There's only 3 parts to this program: Data entry, calculations, and output. To me the calculations are the critical bits. You could probably transpose them to a spreadsheet.

Back in the days of DOS you had to create your own field entry routines and that's clearly the purpose of the vin() procedure if you peruse the code. I've written them many times and did keep a library of them myself. There are many ways to key a number into a computer so vin() is not a critical procedure. The maths is the important part of the program. That is all intact once the #defines are reinstated. I used to have a compiler installed on my PC and if I still had it, I might have recompiled it.
RodW
Brisbane, Australia

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #793 on: September 02, 2015, 06:27:16 AM »
It has been over 6 months... I hope our little detour on recompiling code has not killed this thread?  :-[

Offline ausdier

• Burpengary, Australia.
« Reply #794 on: September 15, 2015, 04:21:43 PM »
Pete is having some computer problems at the moment, so he wouldn't have seen this.
He also has a slightly larger passion on the go at the moment.
This being a 72 Mach 1 Mustang.
He is spending most of his time trying to fix this up to get it on the road.
He has told me though, that he will be getting back to the little V8 and will try and get it running soon as well.
Cheers.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal