Author Topic: Horse drawn Galion road grader circa. 1913?  (Read 23255 times)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: Horse drawn Galion road grader circa. 1913?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 11:10:55 AM »
Very much looking forward to follow your build George.

Just wish that the council would put a roof over the original - that alone would keep it much healthier ….

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2018, 11:11:11 PM »
I've been steadily working on the 2d Cad drawings. I always have a layout sheet which comprises all the parts. From there I work up the view drawings and then start on the individual sheets. I have almost 40 hours in the drawings. I'm taking my notes and sketches and putting them on paper/screen.
I have 2 of the overall views completed, one top and one front.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2018, 11:19:40 PM »
The drawing is outstanding! One of the vendors in the model railroad world offered one of these, maybe Bill Roy? It will be  very neat model!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2018, 12:40:13 AM »
It's coming along great George. The time you have put into it really shows!!

Bill

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2018, 02:28:13 AM »
 :ThumbsUp:
 The drawing looks FANTASTIC George! This will be an amazing model!
 Looking forward to it all coming together!
 :popcorn: :cheers:

John

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2018, 03:12:14 AM »
Some very complex shapes there, going to be a great model! Some custom bending jigs in your future?

:popcorn:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2018, 01:32:27 AM »
Beautified renderings George! Looking forward to see it take shape as a model...... :ThumbsUp:

:cheers:
Don

Offline kvom

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2018, 02:57:48 PM »
Isn't 1" scale a little large for you given the past few projects?   :stir:

What was the motive power of this machine?  Horse or tractor?  Guess I should read the title.   :facepalm:

Online Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2018, 08:42:36 PM »

This will be fun to watch - all those little parts. 1:12 seems a bit large to me too, but a smaller scale could make some of the parts really hard - if not impossible - to do.

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2018, 09:36:13 PM »
George, I'll be following along. I've enjoyed the pictures you took to help design this project. It brings back memories of such a grader I watched working the dirt road that passed my childhood home in upstate N.Y. I was maybe 5 or 6 years old. I was so mesmerized by it, I dreamed of being a "Road Worker" for several years after. Though when I saw it, it was not pulled by horses, it now is obvious to me that it was of horse drawn origin, and adapted to be pulled by a dozer. When they needed to turn it around, they stopped and the operator on the grader spent several minutes cranking a wheel to lift the blade, and they turned around in the hay field on the other side of the road from my house. I remember seeing it sit next to the town shed in later years.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2018, 06:50:05 PM »
 Thanks for following along gents.
 I have finished the sheet that I posted at the beginning with 4 views, top, side, front and rear. It's actually suitable for framing and I had a couple of them printed out for some of my friends who work with heavy machinery.
 Now I'm starting on the individual part drawings. When I converted my sketches and dimensions to CAD the parts were drawn on the layout sheet but naturally I didn't do orthographic views of each part so now I'm taking each part and putting them on individual sheets and developing the required 3 views with dimensions. It's moving along well but as each part is created it's modified from the original full scale part to one that can be created as a model. This includes making provisions for tapped holes, bolt sizes, metal thicknesses etc. The larger gear boxes have worm drives in them so I have to develop pitches and tooth spacings to fit within the confines of the original boxes (after scaling). I just finished the worm and wheel drawing for the large main mechanisms that operate the the blade elevation. The gear came out having a 52.23 diametral pitch. As I make most of my own gear cutters the oddball pitch isn't a big deal it just looks unusual as a number.
 I'm probably looking at another month or so of drawing before I start making chips so hang in there, we'll get to making pieces in the next couple of months.
 To answer a question, the information placard that is with the machine states that it was horse drawn, well anyone knowing machinery can tell by looking at the drawbar that horses couldn't be harnessed to a round steel tube so the original setup must have been replaced somewhere along the line to allow a tractor of some type to tow it.
gbritnell

Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2018, 07:15:16 PM »
I'll be hanging in there with you, George.  Your projects are always worth the wait.

Regards,
Rudy

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2018, 07:39:32 PM »
Hello George,

I cannot see what is on the very end of the steel tube in the very front, but is it possible that a team was hooked up to that tube via a ring. I'm sure that you have more still photos to view plus your on site inspection.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2018, 07:59:41 PM »
Hello again George,

I found some photos that might help.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2018, 10:46:33 PM »
Amazing amount of work George, I'm looking forward to being able to watch another one of your very interesting projects.

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal