Author Topic: My sad acquisition of a Starrett "Holy Grail".  (Read 2121 times)

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
My sad acquisition of a Starrett "Holy Grail".
« on: May 23, 2015, 02:53:49 AM »
My best friend died on Sunday of stomach cancer.  He wanted me to have his machinist tools.  The usual stuff is there, mics, calipers, etc. and some nice stuff of which I got a Pratt & Whitney 15" Master level. 

As I was going through things, I came to a wooden Starrett box.  Inside the box was a Starrett No. 456-A gear tooth caliper.  Normally, this would have been a tool gloat worthy for posting on a popular home machining site.  It just isn't a gloat when it was your best freinds.  I will cherish this tool and will always think of my freind Tom when I use it.  Tom was a great man and went before he should have.  He was like a grandfather to my children and he was the big brother that I never had. 

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: My sad acquisition of a Starrett "Holy Grail".
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 03:03:20 AM »
Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend Bob. Fortunately his tools have found a good home and this unique tool will remind you of the friendship for many years to come.

Bill

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 03:26:12 AM »
Sorry for your loss Bob!     Cherish that...and the best way would be to use it.   I bet he'd want you to.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline AussieJimG

• Rest In Peace
  • Bywong, NSW, Australia
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 11:18:15 AM »
Because I am not religious, I believe that life after death comes from someone picking up a tool (or similar) and remembering the person from whom you got it.

Tom will be remembered while ever you have the tool.

Jim

Offline cobweb81

• West Central Indiana
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 01:47:02 PM »
All of us have limited time on this earth, religious or not. The best way to honor those that we care for is to keep their memory alive in our thoughts and our hearts. You are blessed to have some special items from your friend. Cherish them and he will live on, in you.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal